December 21, 2014, 10:00:17 PM

Author Topic: EOS-1D Mk IV Production/Delivery Issues?  (Read 1234 times)

Steve Todd

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
    • View Profile
EOS-1D Mk IV Production/Delivery Issues?
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »
I have noticed that the major retail stores on line are having trouble keeping 1D4 bodies in stock?  Is this because of reduced production, increased demand or an effort to bump up preorder/sales of the new 1Dx?  I also noted that 1D4 bodies are selling like hot cakes on eBay!  Like many of you, I would like to sell one of my 1D4 bodies and buy a 1Dx.  Not because I am dissatisfied with the 1D4, on the contrary, I have nothing but praise for my two 1D4s...I would just like to try the 1Dx.  Maybe I will be able to test drive one before deciding to sell one of my 1D4 bodies.  I guess the good news to all this, is that I shouldn't have any problem selling one of my 1D4s, as one is very low mileage (5000) shutter actuations.  For those that are out there who appreciate the capabilities of the 1D4 and are trying to find one, the current lack of availability must be frustrating.  I hope Canon will continue production of the 1D4 until it is clear that the new 1Dx will satisfy the needs of ALL pro/aspiring pro photographers!  Right now, I carry one of the 1D4 bodies and my 5D Mk II for most work.  However, the 1D4 ends up being the body of choice almost all of the time.    Hopefully, the 1Dx would be a good compromise to the dilemma of carring two different bodies (FF & 1.3), to cover most situations.
EOS-1D X, 1D4, 5D2, 5D, EOS-1V, 1n, and a bunch of lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

EOS-1D Mk IV Production/Delivery Issues?
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: EOS-1D Mk IV Production/Delivery Issues?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »
I would expect that Canon has dedicated the production lines to making D1 X bodies to meet the initial demand.  That might mean that they will be hard to find for a while.  Canon removed the 1D MK IV from their refurb site this morning as well.

Adorama has them in stock as of this posting, so you can get one there.

http://www.zoolert.com/canon-eos-1d-mark-iv-in-stock-tracker/

Maxis Gamez

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Bird Photography
    • View Profile
    • Bird Photography in Florida
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:55:44 PM »
I just got a new one three days ago. One of the reason this camera still a hot ticket is because the 1D X doesn't AF at f/8 which means bad news for nature photographers including myself. I waited for a while to see what Canon was going to replace the 1D MKIV with,I but I never expected the 1D X. I immediately purchased one because there is a good change we will not see a pro 1.3 crop factor body.

Remember in the Press Release Canon did say that the 1D X replaced the 1D MKIV and 1Ds III bodies.

www.gvisions.org - Bird Photography

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:15:38 AM »

Remember in the Press Release Canon did say that the 1D X replaced the 1D MKIV and 1Ds III bodies.

www.gvisions.org - Bird Photography

Yeah, I remember the mentioning about it being the replacement for both lines. It'd be logical to assume that once the 1DX hits the shelf, the older models would no longer be produced.

Of course, I'm not convinced that the 1DX flagship could satisfy all photographer's need... (my guess would be an evolution along the Nikon 2D, D2h, D2x lines...)
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:15:38 AM »