April 18, 2014, 12:41:16 PM

Author Topic: Lightroom VS Photoshop  (Read 9699 times)

Tracy Pinto

Re: Lightroom VS Photoshop
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »
PS has a much greater capacity for post-processing than Lightroom does. Lightroom can do most anything a beginner requires and most of what a busy professional needs for shots in similar lighting environments. For the finer work and the more creative effects you need PS and maybe additional software from companies like NIK.

Most people have a harder time deciding whether to use Bridge (which is free with a PS purchase) or Lightroom to manage and access their photo libraries. If that is an issue for you I recommend this video and all the lessons from Julieanne Kost at AdobeTV to get better at their products: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/should-i-use-lightroom-or-bridge/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 11:03:47 PM »
Photoshop:     $600.00
Lightroom 4 :  $145.00
Photoshop Elements: $89.00

If you are a professional photographer, you know way more than I do about whether you need the full $600.00 Photoshop leviathan.  I have never used it, but I see posts all the time from self-identified serious photographers/students claiming they only use 10% of what it can do, and that they don't really even know how to do most of the rest.

I find Lightroom does everything I need 99% of the time, plus it is non-destructive, plus it does organize your stuff, and it can apply basic corrections to multiple shots instantaneously, instead of one at a time.

If you do photography as a hobby, and you don't have unlimited money and learning time to invest, you can probably make do just fine with PS Elements instead of the full version, PLUS Lightroom.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 12:08:12 AM »
These are two very different beasts with a small core component of similar functions/features.

LR excels at organization of collections and "developing" or "adjusting" of photos.  Think of it more of the software version of a "dark room"

Photoshop is more of a photo manipulation and creation tool, giving you far more editing, compositing, and retouching tools.  Try removing hairs, cleaning facial blemishing, or say reshaping an arm or leg in LR vs PS.  There is a reason covers of magazines are referred to as being "photoshopped" and not "lightroomed" 

I use both.  I use LR to do a lot more of global corrections like color (ColorChecker Passport), white balance and applying these changes across all images in a shoot, as well as making some image by image adjustments, but when it comes to heavy lifting, correcting, and polishing of images, then the rest of my work is in PhotoShop. 

LostArk

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 12:26:12 AM »
Try removing hairs, cleaning facial blemishing, or say reshaping an arm or leg in LR vs PS.  There is a reason covers of magazines are referred to as being "photoshopped" and not "lightroomed" 

Another reason could be Photoshop was around for 20 years before Lightroom :P

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 12:53:18 AM »
I don't think the decision is Photoshop or Lightroom, It should be Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom. But you obviously need to own PS to have ACR.

To me the workflow is edit the Raw DNG in ACR, then open in PS for any retouching. They are completely different programs. I'm a professional designer, so Photoshop has been open on my computer for over 10 years straight (I never shut down my computers). Based on my comfort level of knowing every aspect of Photoshop, I use ACR- and it's not an added expense or another open program. I believe the processing engine is the same as Lightroom too.

I guess like others have said, if you don't need photoshop, then LR makes perfect sense. But if you have PS (and ACR), then LR isn't necessary.

Also Photoshop CS6 looks pretty insane- you can edit video inside of PS!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:56:25 AM by pdirestajr »
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

woollybear

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 01:21:06 AM »
Photoshop has been open on my computer for over 10 years straight (I never shut down my computers).

Holy Cow!!  You have a ten year old computer and it runs Photoshop!!  ;D

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 01:41:35 AM »
Photoshop has been open on my computer for over 10 years straight (I never shut down my computers).

Holy Cow!!  You have a ten year old computer and it runs Photoshop!!  ;D

I actually have a 6 year old 17" MacBook Pro I still use at home! It's amazing it still is running so well and has no problem handling CS5 and huge files. I keep the computer completely empty except for programs (work off of external HD). At work I have much newer desktops. My problem is every time I have extra money for a comp- it goes towards a new lens or other gear! You gotta trade off someplace.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:46:18 AM by pdirestajr »
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 01:41:35 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 02:51:42 AM »
DPP = free
PSE for individual image changes

TotoEC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 03:57:51 AM »
To the OP - DPP is free and very easy to use.  if your photos only need a slight color/exposure correction, sharpening, croping and converting RAW images to JPEG by the bulk.  It can do most of your basic needs.

then, Photoshop for serious editing.

briansquibb

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 04:09:39 AM »
To the OP - DPP is free and very easy to use.  if your photos only need a slight color/exposure correction, sharpening, croping and converting RAW images to JPEG by the bulk.  It can do most of your basic needs.

What is wrong with Elements? For photoprocessing Elements has the majority of functionality of Photoshop

TotoEC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 06:03:36 AM »
Why, what is wrong with Photoshop?  If you are not afraid of the learning curve, I say go for the best!

What is wrong with Elements? For photoprocessing Elements has the majority of functionality of Photoshop

MazV-L

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 06:26:34 AM »
Why, what is wrong with Photoshop?  If you are not afraid of the learning curve, I say go for the best!

I'm not familiar with either, made the, in hindsight, bad decision to buy Serif Photoplus, but now considering either Elements or Photoshop, can someone please be specific about the advantages of Photoshop?

briansquibb

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2012, 06:38:18 AM »
Why, what is wrong with Photoshop?  If you are not afraid of the learning curve, I say go for the best![quote

- The price. Could buy a decent lens with the difference.

Cant see any benefits of PS for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2012, 06:38:18 AM »

TotoEC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2012, 06:49:25 AM »
@briansquibb:   "- The price. Could buy a decent lens with the difference."

Well, then its a matter of preference.

@MazV-L:   "I'm not familiar with either, made the, in hindsight, bad decision to buy Serif Photoplus, but now considering either Elements or Photoshop, can someone please be specific about the advantages of Photoshop?"

Have a look at these:

http://tv.adobe.com/show/photoshop-cs5-feature-tour/#/show/photoshop-cs5-feature-tour
http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/features.html

paulc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 07:28:56 AM »
I don't think the decision is Photoshop or Lightroom, It should be Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom. But you obviously need to own PS to have ACR.

I've got PSE 10.  Open up a CR2 file in PSE and ACR 6.6 comes right up.

That being said, I strongly prefer LR to ACR.  It is folly to argue that LR can do everything that  ACR + PS(E) can do, but LR makes up for it in other ways.  With ACR + PS you're doing a definite step 1 -> step 2.  LR lets you go and tweak whatever you want anywhere in the pipeline without regard to order, plus the ability to dance between photos in a large catalog is truly invaluable.

LR as provides a thin subset of what PS can do as a tradeoff for making it quick and easy to blow through a lot of work.  LR making things quick and easy for me is pretty important to me when time is my most dear resource.  Doing the equivalent task in ACR + PSE takes me much much longer.  I picked LR over Aperture and Bibble because LR took me the least time and effort to reach results I liked.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 07:28:56 AM »