September 23, 2014, 10:53:21 PM

Author Topic: *Official* What improvements do you LIKE MOST in the 5D III and 1D X?  (Read 5053 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
I think its time to start a thread where people can talk about what they LIKE about the new cameras released by Canon. Lately, it seems there has been nothing but whining about one minor discrepancy or another, and all the GOOD stuff that Canon has packed into both the 5D III and the 1D X is being ignored and buried under too much complaining.

So, this is the OFFICIAL thread where you can come to chat about the things that you LIKE! The things that will make your life as a photographer, professional or otherwise, easier and more enjoyable, thanks to one of the huge number of improvements in these two cameras.

If you are hear to complain, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. There are a good dozen threads on this forum perfectly suited to those of you who wish to bitch and moan. THAT IS NOT WELCOME HERE!!!

Personally, I like the following:

1. The new 61pt AF system that has a whopping 41 cross type points, as well as no less than FIVE double-cross type points in the center (diagonal and standard cross types overlaid on top of each other.)
 - As someone who does bird photography and wildlife photography, I would have been quite pleased to get something like the 7D's all cross-type 19pt AF system in the 5D III. I'm extremely happy to see Canon's best AF system in both the 1D X and 5D III.

2. The 100% CF viewfinder with transmissive LCD heads up display.
 - I have this in the 7D, and its truly a beauty. Its great being able to change the grid display, or even disable it and just have a clean, empty viewfinder. The AF point display with the transmissive LCD is far nicer than it was before. All content on the transmissive LCD is semi translucent, so it never fully obstructs your view of your subjects...only augments it. Very glad this made its way into all of Canon's new cameras.

3. In the case of the 5D III, I'm happy they used 6fps rather than 4.5fps (as was rumored a few times.) Combined with 18 continuous RAW frames (which is actually more than the 7D which can do 15), this really makes the 5D III a solidly viable candidate for higher action photography, such as birds and wildlife.
 - Frame rates much less than 5-6 per second make it difficult to capture enough shots such that you get a high enough percentage of keepers. Its not surprising Canon did not put in a higher frame rate, given what appears to be the 144mb/s maximum throughput for a single DIGIC5+, and 6 22mp frames per second comes out to around 135mb/s. I'm glad they pushed it as far as they could without increasing cost even more with a second DIGIC5+.

4. The noise characteristics of Canon's new sensors seem to have been significantly improved!
 - Despite all the speculation about zero improvement in DR (which really only seems to apply at ISO 100, assuming its true), Canon has definitely improved the characteristics of their noise. There does not appear to be any more fixed-pattern noise at all, even at low ISO's in the shadows. There does appear to be some vertical banding, however in most of the sample shots so far, it doesn't really seem to be a problem. The bulk of noise, even at high ISO, appears to have far more pleasing and random characteristics than it did in the past. Even without improved DR, thats still a huge improvement over prior Canon sensors, and I'm pretty happy about that.

(Possibly more to come, not enough time to think of more.)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

Abraxx

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: *Official* What improvements do you LIKE MOST in the 5D III and 1D X?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »
In addition to your likes.

5. I really like the Touchdial, or Touchpad as Canon calls it  :)

6. I like the HDR Mode with the added aligning of fotos, making quick, handheld, in cam HDRs possible
'Photographers are the eyes of the world'
Focus on Landscape/Nature, Architecture, Technology, Wildlife, Street

stilscream

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »
Like you said, the AF is great to have on both cameras (though it makes it harder for me to justify it to myself to buy the 1dx   ;D)

I like the low light improvements. I am mostly want a 2nd body to my 7d for that reason alone.

The kid in me loves the idea of playing with the 14fps on the 1dx!

7d, 5d mk iii, 1d4, 1dx, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm IS ii USM, 300mm f4 IS USM, 600mm f4l is USM, 400mm f2.8l is usm, 14mm tamron f2.8, 17-40mm f4L, 24-70 f2.8L USM, 85f1.2L USM, 100mm f2.8 macro

Spooky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
I like the fact that Canon have listened to people's wishes and given us an improved 5D, without a hike in mp, included a headphone socket, quiet modes, etc. I also like the notion that because so many people are 'disappointed', there may be some left in the shops for the folks that really appreciate this camera to buy one. ;)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »
I am excited about the same aspect you describe mostly jrista:

Better AF system
Better ISO performance
HDR capabilities (fun to try anyway)
Frame rate (in the case of the 5D mkIII)
Metering (in the case of the 1DX)

I actually think the last one, metering powered by a single Digit 4 processor is very underestimated by everyone.  I think it will make for great improvement in difficult lighting situation...

Cant wait to get my 1DX!!!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »
I like the fact that Canon have listened to people's wishes and given us an improved 5D, without a hike in mp, included a headphone socket, quiet modes, etc. I also like the notion that because so many people are 'disappointed', there may be some left in the shops for the folks that really appreciate this camera to buy one. ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Abraxx

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »
7. ALL-i

'Photographers are the eyes of the world'
Focus on Landscape/Nature, Architecture, Technology, Wildlife, Street

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »
My shooting is a combination of landscape and wildlife mainly. If I was only shooting landscape, it probably wouldn't be worth me upgrading. However, it has now become useful as a general wildlife camera. In the past, I only switched to the MkII from the 7D for macro work and when the light levels dropped. Now however, the 61 point focus and tracking ability, would enable me to get better image quality for general use, then I can keep the 7D for when I'm focal length limited (which could actually be quite often) or I really need a fast frame rate (pretty rare and 6 fps is good for a number of situations). I also have had a project planned for a couple of years to photograph animals at dusk, so the improved low light capability will be invaluable. Up until the MkIII was released, I had been considering the 1D X, but I coudn't justify the cost, even though the weather proofing would be nice, now I think the 5D MKII will give me enough of what I need. Yes, the 1D X would be a step further, but not at the price differential. In addition, I had been considering a trip to Uganda, it fell through this year, but I had been worrying whether to take the 7D or the 5D. It would have been more wildlife than landscape photography, but the low light in the forest and the wider travel aspect would have favoured the 5D MkII, so I would have had to make a compromise somewhere, now that compromise is virtually non-existent, as it's a much better allrounder than the MkII or the 7D.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »
The silent mode looks pretty nifty, too.

But yeah, the vastly improved AF is the thing that has me most excited. Down to EV -2! That's impressive.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »
I very excited about the AF, FPS, and ISO improvements to the 5DIII, which I will put to good use on very single shoot. The dual card slots and improved weather sealing are huge bonuses as well. The 5DIII does everything the 1DsIII did, and then some, for half the price, so I don't know why so many people are upset. Last I checked, the 5DII and 1DsIII were the gold standards for overall IQ, at least in the 35mm world. Now Canon releases a camera in the 5DIII that's better in every way, and all of a sudden is a pile of junk. Go figure.

I can't comment on the 1Dx, as I was never seriously considering buying one. I wonder how many people complaining about the 1Dx or 5DIII were actually going to buy one if they met their desired specs?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:56:02 PM by V8Beast »

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
Metering (in the case of the 1DX)

I actually think the last one, metering powered by a single Digit 4 processor is very underestimated by everyone.  I think it will make for great improvement in difficult lighting situation...

Cant wait to get my 1DX!!!

Aye!! That is really nice. I know its Canon playing catchup to Nikon, who has had their 91k 3D metering system for some time. That doesn't change the fact that its a very nice improvement to Canon cameras, though. I'm sure that will filter down to lesser models over time as well.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 04:19:36 PM »
For my weddings:
* Better low light focussing to -2EV, including that "exciting" double cross spot. I can't wait to see how accurate that is in practice.
* Dual card slots. Now I can worry less about a card going down.
* Flash in the viewfinder on achieving focus and silent shooting for shh...be quiet please photography
* Better weather sealing for those days when it's just not nice out. And that's a lot in the UK.
* 2/3rd stop better ISO. It means ISO6400 works for me when, before, it wouldn't. More importantly though it means that ISO3200 becomes like ISO1600 and my max ISO is normally 3200, so I'll have "clean" shots throughout the range.
* Better quality shadow noise.
* Auto ISO which, as some people have pointed out isn't perfect, will do a job for me.

It's all of the things I asked for. Realistically, it's all the camera I'll ever need for weddings. Thank you Canon! Now get my preorder to me ASAP ;)

Mainly though it's the focus system for me. Knowing the camera got it spot on will be fantastic. Sometimes it's just really really dark and achieving perfect focus on someones eye was not possible with the 5d2 without switching to a very fast prime.

David KM

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
I think its time to start a thread where people can talk about what they LIKE about the new cameras released by Canon. Lately, it seems there has been nothing but whining about one minor discrepancy or another, and all the GOOD stuff that Canon has packed into both the 5D III and the 1D X is being ignored and buried under too much complaining.

So, this is the OFFICIAL thread where you can come to chat about the things that you LIKE! The things that will make your life as a photographer, professional or otherwise, easier and more enjoyable, thanks to one of the huge number of improvements in these two cameras.

If you are hear to complain, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. There are a good dozen threads on this forum perfectly suited to those of you who wish to bitch and moan. THAT IS NOT WELCOME HERE!!!

+ 1000000X
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:23:29 PM by David KM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »

aZhu

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 04:40:49 PM »
No one has really mentioned this yet but the larger 3.2" screen is a + for me :)
Also like that the LCD screen on top goes up to 1999 now instead of just 999.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »
In addition to all the goodies above....I like 5D III, AUTO ISO setting in "M" mode.

In "M" mode - i usually set the aperture & shutter speed and let the camera selects the ISO(I'm talking about 60D of course).

5D II has fixed ISO in "M" mode - at 400

Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »