October 21, 2014, 12:43:45 AM

Author Topic: Canon 7D... not Mk 2, Not anything, Just the 7D  (Read 4506 times)

haqyourlegs

Canon 7D... not Mk 2, Not anything, Just the 7D
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
I just thought I'd share with you lovely folks here:

After wasting countless excellent hours on this forum, I finally got an account. And now, I have something to brag about! I just bought my very own 7D. *sigh of happiness* I love it! I upgraded from an EOS 550D after lusting for the 15-85 kit lens that comes with the 7D, decided that I had gotten enough out of my trusty T2i, and sold my dear old Rupert (that's my T2i), and used that shameful money to fund my 7D. It's fantastic!

That's just my two cents. Happy to finally be part of the CR community!! :D

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 7D... not Mk 2, Not anything, Just the 7D
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »

Spooky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D... not Mk 2, Not anything, Just the 7D
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:25:19 PM »
I've had the 7d since it came out and can't fault it, the 15-85 is a great lens too, both a good range and very sharp.

solarpos

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »
I too am a 7Der from a T2i and like you couldn't be happier! Enjoy.

Trovador

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photography Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
Best camera ever!
Canon 6D+7D; 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS, 50 1.4, 100L 2.8 IS, Rokinon 8mm fisheye
www.ruddyflorentino.com

YellowJersey

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:09:18 PM »
Kids today. *humph!* Back in my day I started out with a 6mp 10D, and that's the way we liked it. We loved it. Bleah! I say! Bleah!

Nah, just kidding. Welcome to the forums... I'm a long time lurker too. I don't have a 7D, but I've seen some pretty incredible stuff come out of that camera. Congrats on the purchase. I'm glad that it's every bit of camera you hoped it would be.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 10:16:21 PM »
Yep, it's still the best crop camera around (although I do like my mum's Pentax K-5, they seem to have included all the features the 7D is missing, there's just not the wonderful Canon Glass to go with it...)

Was my first dslr, first slr, second digital anything, 4th camera ever (and as much as i'm tempted to ditch it for a 5D3, that's twice the price, and i'd miss it).

Shutter count 18,000 and rising...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 11:08:32 PM »
Welcome Aboard! :) (And THANK YOU for starting a thread that praises something! :D)

I too am a 7D owner, and I don't really have any complaints about it. With the advent of Canon reticular AF systems on the 1D X and 5D III, it would be awesome to see the 7D II get something similar for APS-C. Outside of that, the thing handles beautifully, focuses and tracks extremely well, and cranks out frames so fast 16GB CF cards are not enough for what I do!

Oh, and a small tip about maximum continuous frames with the 7D: When this beauty was released, we did not yet have the 90mb/s and faster cards. The 7D was rated at 8fps/15 continuous at the time of its release. With a 90mb/s CF card, the 7D will consistently crank out 23-25 continuous frames. When you hit the limit, unlike with 60mb/s cards where shooting pauses for a couple seconds, with a 90mb/s card you can keep firing off 2-3 frames per second with a momentary pause for as long as you keep the shutter button down.  8)

I have not yet tried with a faster card, like Lexar's 1000x, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get even more continuous frames with one of those (although how much more, I couldn't say.)

Well, here's to learning what you named your 7D... ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 11:08:32 PM »

haqyourlegs

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »
Kids today. *humph!* Back in my day I started out with a 6mp 10D, and that's the way we liked it. We loved it. Bleah! I say! Bleah!

Nah, just kidding. Welcome to the forums... I'm a long time lurker too. I don't have a 7D, but I've seen some pretty incredible stuff come out of that camera. Congrats on the purchase. I'm glad that it's every bit of camera you hoped it would be.

I quite literally LOL'd at this comment. "long-time lurker"... genius! Honestly it's a great camera. A definite step-up from the Rebel!

haqyourlegs

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 12:52:05 PM »
Welcome Aboard! :) (And THANK YOU for starting a thread that praises something! :D)

I too am a 7D owner, and I don't really have any complaints about it. With the advent of Canon reticular AF systems on the 1D X and 5D III, it would be awesome to see the 7D II get something similar for APS-C. Outside of that, the thing handles beautifully, focuses and tracks extremely well, and cranks out frames so fast 16GB CF cards are not enough for what I do!

Oh, and a small tip about maximum continuous frames with the 7D: When this beauty was released, we did not yet have the 90mb/s and faster cards. The 7D was rated at 8fps/15 continuous at the time of its release. With a 90mb/s CF card, the 7D will consistently crank out 23-25 continuous frames. When you hit the limit, unlike with 60mb/s cards where shooting pauses for a couple seconds, with a 90mb/s card you can keep firing off 2-3 frames per second with a momentary pause for as long as you keep the shutter button down.  8)

I have not yet tried with a faster card, like Lexar's 1000x, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get even more continuous frames with one of those (although how much more, I couldn't say.)

Well, here's to learning what you named your 7D... ???

::) Thank you for the info! I have an 8GB CF card that does *I THINK* 60mb/s... It seems to have an incredible amount of space. That little info-box telling me the amount of images I have left has not moved from 999 yet (even when I'm shooting a large image [no RAW just yet, I have yet to think about printing many of my images]), and I've taken almost 1000 shots with it! I'm a camera abuser (in the best sense of the word)... several hundred photos for one event (usually varied in style, composition, etc)... so this is a great camera for me! Super fast and great quality. I had never used AF with my Rebel simply because I liked having the control, but I find that the 7D really hits the mark whenever I use AF with it. With great auto-focus comes great versatility (to bastardize the popular Uncle Ben phrase).

Just FYI, my 7D has been christened "Rupert Kensington the Second"... but this is also coming from someone who named her vehicle Charlie Kenelm Sewell the First. Yes, I am strange, but it keeps things so much more lively that way!  ;D

vbi

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »
Waiting to use my 7D in anger over Easter when I go to Botswana. Calibrated my 100-400L and now I am just waiting. Oh man...the anticipation is killing me.
All politicians are scum
5D3, 5D2, 7D and too many lenses

carlc

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »
I too have Alstate, oops, I mean Canon 7D.  I love it and still learning new things everyday.  I made myself promise, not another new body until I can use every feature flawlessly and actualy know why I am using the feature.  If the new 7DmkII shows up sooner rather than later....what the heck, it was only a promise, not a mortgage on a new home!!!

After the the 7DmkII, maybe a FF, don't know yet.  Guess it depends on what the 5DmkVII can do.  I am thinking a FF would be good for hallway shots at the nursing home, you know-wheel chair races!

Michael7

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 01:41:17 PM »
I hated my 7d until I sent it back to Canon. They fixed a focus problem and a broken LCD zoom button. Everything about it is awesome except for the sensor. It's just not quite there.

That said, I plan to keep it for a long time. It does what I need and I'm done playing the upgrade games.

nitsujwalker

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »
I love mine as well.  I had a nikon d7000 for a while after selling off my Canon gear for financial reasons (I figured I'd try the other side) and after numerous problems with the Nikon I sold it and bought the 7D and a 70-200 f4l.  I must say that the 7D feels like a real camera whereas the Nikon in comparison felt like a toy.  The 7d functions incredibly and I think the sensor is great.  I love the resolution available as it allows for cropping and the autofocus is the best that I've ever used (I've never had a chance to shoot with 1 series cameras).  Congratulations on the purchase and I hope you love it!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
haqyourlegs -

Congratulations.  The 7D is definitely a fine camera and I have loved using mine for the past year.  It definitely gets you competitive in the photography arena and there is very little it cannot do.   

I am actually missing mine a bit - its coming back from damage repair at Mack as I post - it got wrecked at a narrow guage train shoot last month - so I ended up using a borrowed T2I for that - and I just absolutely missed the continuous shooting feature - had to burst it to avoid "Busy" versus the 7D where I could just keep on shooting.  And a couple weeks ago I was shooting the NASCAR hauler parade in Vegas with my old XTi (all I had left) - and blah! - it looked like snow on the Strip with all the noise (and I am not referring to the Tony Stewart Hauler's Locomotive horns).  My 7D coming back is cause for celebration.

Alas, it returns as second body tho - the 5DmIII should be close behind.

carlc -

Are you cribbing your setup after mine?  Except for the sigma, we have the same list.  How is that new 70-200 II working for you on the 7D.  I think mine is brilliant!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:57:11 PM by Arkarch »
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »
I too have a 7D from a T2i.  I honestly miss the "Auto ISO limit" and "Magic Lantern" Firmware.  However, the damn continuous shooting and AF feature make me leave my T2i on shelf.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »