August 21, 2014, 09:05:27 AM

Author Topic: 1D X - f/8 Issue Activated?  (Read 2048 times)

Maxis Gamez

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Bird Photography
    • View Profile
    • Bird Photography in Florida
1D X - f/8 Issue Activated?
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »
On this thread

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,4366.0.html

I read the following (BLUE PARAGRAPH)

If you also think this is rubbish, fill out a Canon online contact form and tell them, maybe they will do something about, they activated the F8 autofocus for the 1DX didnt they? Maybe there is still hope.

Can someone confirm this please? if so, link??

Thanks!

www.gvisions.org - Bird Photography

canon rumors FORUM

1D X - f/8 Issue Activated?
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X - f/8 Issue Activated?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »
I've seen no 'confirmation' - only the statement you reference, and another thread where some Canon rep told some poster on NZ that the 1D X will AF at f/8.  Nothing from Canon or other reputable sources.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:26:17 PM »
I heard that it was the opposite, that it was a physical limitation, due to the larger AF sensors and not something that could be fixed with a firmware update. However, it was just the opinion of a CPS rep and he didn't have any hard evidence and hadn't been told anything beyond how the system worked and he admitted that he could be wrong.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
I heard that it was the opposite, that it was a physical limitation, due to the larger AF sensors and not something that could be fixed with a firmware update. However, it was just the opinion of a CPS rep and he didn't have any hard evidence and hadn't been told anything beyond how the system worked and he admitted that he could be wrong.

It is a physical limitation. AF sensors are all about angles, and the exit pupil for an f/8 lens will be invisible to AF sensors that are aimed at the f/5.6 or larger exit pupil. I don't think firmware will change this, unless they update it to ignore the aperture and tell people that it may or may not work. That's what happens with the pin-taping that people do. Sometimes a bit of light bleeds around enough for the sensor to grab onto -- though I wouldn't call it reliable.

Live View could be an option for a lot of uses, though.

marcosv

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:44:38 AM »
It is a physical limitation. AF sensors are all about angles, and the exit pupil for an f/8 lens will be invisible to AF sensors that are aimed at the f/5.6 or larger exit pupil. I don't think firmware will change this, unless they update it to ignore the aperture and tell people that it may or may not work. That's what happens with the pin-taping that people do. Sometimes a bit of light bleeds around enough for the sensor to grab onto -- though I wouldn't call it reliable.

Interesting explanation.  How was it that older bodies could autofocus at f/8 with the center point sensor?

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:45:56 AM »

Interesting explanation.  How was it that older bodies could autofocus at f/8 with the center point sensor?

Because they had a sensor designed to operate at f/8. The new sensor is not designed to operate at f/8.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:36:04 AM »
On this thread

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,4366.0.html

I read the following (BLUE PARAGRAPH)

If you also think this is rubbish, fill out a Canon online contact form and tell them, maybe they will do something about, they activated the F8 autofocus for the 1DX didnt they? Maybe there is still hope.

Can someone confirm this please? if so, link??

Thanks!

www.gvisions.org - Bird Photography

Just looking over the manual and seeing how there are so many different AF-point types allowed for different lenses makes me think it's really and angle and brightness thing and I think when the one rep was like "so how would 20% hit rate be?" that might be what it might be like. I think they just focused on making it nail things f/5.6 and below instead.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:36:04 AM »

Lee Jay

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »