July 28, 2014, 05:25:34 AM

Author Topic: Have Canon 60d and want advice on next upgrade for my needs  (Read 8512 times)

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
Re: Have Canon 60d and want advice on next upgrade for my needs
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »
Thanks again for everyone's input. I look forward to the FF world of photography. If not I can acheive the shots I want at the expense of PP, Noise and more lighting efforts (speedlites). I know a FF will not answer all my needs but I figure it should fix some of them. Now I just need a more portable bridge camera when I cannot bring my dslr. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking G1x or Sony nex5n but I am not sure of their quality. Is the S100 worth it?
1Dx, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »

Tijn

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
Now I just need a more portable bridge camera when I cannot bring my dslr. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking G1x or Sony nex5n but I am not sure of their quality. Is the S100 worth it?

Not very familiar in that market, but... Here's an entertaining review on the G1x:
World's First Canon Powershot G1 X Hands-on Review Small | Large

Punchline was, if I remember it correctly: decent image quality, but a bit of a hassle to control and it doesn't quite "point and shoot". I think it's focused on people that want the controls to be there, rather than automation and ease of use.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 06:50:55 AM »
Thanks again for everyone's input. I look forward to the FF world of photography. If not I can acheive the shots I want at the expense of PP, Noise and more lighting efforts (speedlites). I know a FF will not answer all my needs but I figure it should fix some of them. Now I just need a more portable bridge camera when I cannot bring my dslr. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking G1x or Sony nex5n but I am not sure of their quality. Is the S100 worth it?

Would recommend micro 4/3. This system has the most mature system of lenses, and because it's an older system, you can get previous generation bodies very cheap. For example, panasonic GF2 goes for about $250. The Sony has a great sensor, but the lens selection is really weak. Sony enthusiasts tend to adapt old manual focus lenses.

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
I think I will go for a S100 for a small bridge at least it shoots raw and is pocketable.
1Dx, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

keithdog

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2012, 01:36:39 AM »
I am the grandfather of year-old twin boys who don't sit still and a 3-year-old. I have a Canon 60D and get excellent results. Autofocus is great. Grain is minimal, even going up to 6400 ISO. Heck. I've got to 12,800 and it isn't that bad. Shot some high school basketball for the newspaper I work for. Not normally on the photographic end. But I will say, keeping the shutter speed at 500th by adjusting ISO and aperture has made every picture I have taken come out sharp and in focus. Now maybe each picture wasn't framed perfectly, but that was my fault. Sometimes I would daydream and suddenly notice a good picture was coming at me. I would hoist camera to my face and shoot and if lucky had good results. Like I said, minimal grain and sharp every time. You are not a professional photographer. It isn't your livelihood. Maybe you have money to burn. But I wonder if you just need to hone your skills rather than looking for the answer with dollar bills. I've had other cameras but the 60D is by far the best. Maybe you should work with it a bit more before you spend thousands and get pretty much the same results.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2012, 04:42:40 AM »
Grain is minimal, even going up to 6400 ISO. Heck. I've got to 12,800 and it isn't that bad.

I'm happy that there's another happy 60d user around, welcome to the forum :-) ... but at the same time I have to mention that high iso with the current 18mp sensor is only usable with heavy noise reduction, and the resulting sharpness decrease only allows for small print sizes like web or newspaper.

Maybe you should work with it a bit more before you spend thousands and get pretty much the same results.

... and thanks for pointing this out again: spending money does not replace knowledge of one's gear.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2012, 04:42:40 AM »