November 29, 2014, 01:51:34 AM

Author Topic: Karma is gone?  (Read 8275 times)

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com | photography
Re: Karma is gone?
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
Thank goodness.  Now we can actually have a conversation!
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »

photophreek

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 01:24:40 PM »
Maybe that rock I've been under has been a little heavy, but what was the purpose of karma and the consequence?  If I have too many neg karma points, does the forum kick me off or limit use?  Help me understand.

D_Rochat

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 01:38:58 PM »
Maybe that rock I've been under has been a little heavy, but what was the purpose of karma and the consequence?  If I have too many neg karma points, does the forum kick me off or limit use?  Help me understand.

Nothing happens. I think the idea with the karma system was to keep the conversations civil. Unfortunately, not many systems are perfect and people can always find a way to abuse them.

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »
Hey

I failed to see the purpose in the smite, it seemed to add a negative spin to the forum. I am going to look into a "like" feature, as I think that would bring more positive discussion and reward the folks that have good ideas and points.

As always, it may not please everyone. Though I do think few will miss it.

Somewhere over North Carolina.....

Craig

I very much like it without getting smitted.  In everyday usage  I never run accross the word smite.  It seems like a hate crime.  Of course I could never just say this if "smite" was around but I've tested it and tried making a 100% positive remark -- like "I'm sure Canon will be always be producing competitive products" and I was still getting smited.  Appearently it looks like some people will smite for some kind of personal enjoyment.  This forum would be much better served without it.  If people feel that strong against something that has been said against a fellow photographer, then I feel they should be able to say it on the forum where their comments can also be responded to.  Much like a letter to the editor, I may not agree with the point of the writer but I do want to hear and understand your point of view. 
After all, if I only wanted my point of view, why participate in the forum at all.  I do to share my knowledge in hopes of getting other photographers point of view.

I would like to see a spell check imbeded into the reply because my "raw" spelling is pretty bad and I know I'm not alone.  It also would help to see a quick profile (thumbnail) of users experience, type of photographer (general, city, fashion, studio, landscape, nature, bird, ...) film, digital, or both, and basic cameras/lenses that a photographer uses.  Perhaps that could be in a box or underneath the posters reply.  I notice that some people seem to have it but I can't figure out how to add it to my profile.  Could any help me?

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »
Haha I can finally say it:

Posting anything positive about Apple will get you a smite.  Seriously, once plus per post, what the heck?
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »
Yay, now I can say what i *really* think about Apple and iToys...

hang on, I already do...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »
I think that there is definitely a need for a '+1' or 'Like' button, because I don't want to have to wade through pages of replies that simply state this!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »

shtfmeister

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2012, 08:33:27 PM »
ahhh man
just like the loss of the Concord another step backwards ... lol
I smite this thread (just for old time sake) ;D ;D ;D

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 12:00:32 AM »
The Karma system has gone. What a welcome move! Thanks Craig.
When I started posting on CR my intention was to contribute in a 100% positive way, drawing on 30+ years experience as a professional shooter.

As a creative game I thought I'd see if I could post in a positive, relevant way and never get a smite. I didn't get too many, but all were undeserved, baffling and eventually undermined my willingness to continue posting on CR.

There was a deep dislike of the system and I'm certain it kept successful professionals from contributing. It was starting to get a little trashy.

As most of us value the long term well being of CR Forums, and keep the quality of contributors high, then dumping the divisive applaud/smite system should deliver an overall quality surge.

Paul Wright

Username:pwp

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:11:46 AM by pwp »

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »
There was no karma on the forum? Really, aw darn it I missed it  :(

D.Sim

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 12:38:47 AM »
A person quits and an option gets removed?
 =/

A bit overblown, isn't it? Its the internet, impossible to get EVERYONE to approve what you've said, just gotta roll with it...

Smite me... O mighty smiter...  :(

D_Rochat

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2012, 01:29:57 AM »
 =/

A bit overblown, isn't it? Its the internet, impossible to get EVERYONE to approve what you've said, just gotta roll with it...

It didn't happen just because one person quit. The karma system created a lot of negativity and yes, some people did quit as a result. It's in CR's bet interest to draw more people to the site and keeping them rather than lose them because of a meaningless system that people have figured out how to abuse. You can thank those who abused it and you know who you are.

shtfmeister

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2012, 01:43:09 AM »
smite ... smite, smite

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2012, 01:43:09 AM »

nesarajah

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 02:46:42 AM »
maybe just positive karma ?

D.Sim

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 03:00:30 AM »
 =/

It didn't happen just because one person quit. The karma system created a lot of negativity and yes, some people did quit as a result. It's in CR's bet interest to draw more people to the site and keeping them rather than lose them because of a meaningless system that people have figured out how to abuse. You can thank those who abused it and you know who you are.

Smites work far better than full flame posts though....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 03:00:30 AM »