July 29, 2014, 01:53:50 AM

Author Topic: New FW 800 CF Reader Available  (Read 8675 times)

EvilTed

New FW 800 CF Reader Available
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »
I thought I'd share this seeing as I spent hours trawling the net trying to find a fast CF reader for my MBP.
I had a FW 800 Sandisk reader but sold it when I moved from a Nikon D300 to a D7000.

Now I'm switching to a 5D MK3, I need a fast FW 800 reader.
It seems the Sandisk and Lexar are no longer available and sell for ridiculous amounts.

Never fear, I found a new alternative ;)

http://fstoppers.com/gear-fw800-cardreader

Update: Got my card reader today. Used it with a Lexar Professional x1000 32GB UDMA 7 with RAW images from my 5D MK3.
On OS-X Lion 10.7.3 it mounted as a regular drive and it took 10seconds to copy 1.5GB to my desktop.
Seems like they fixed the firmware as I suspected
Enjoy :)

ET :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:17:13 PM by EvilTed »

canon rumors FORUM

New FW 800 CF Reader Available
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: New FW 800 CF Reader Available
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
Great find, thanks! 

FWIW, I currently use an ExpressCard CF reader with my MB Pro, and I'm still hoping someone comes out with a Thunderbolt CF reader which would work with my MB Air.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

airforceones25

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »
Lol. I actually just ordered one of these bad boys a couple days ago. Came to $59 after shipping. I wasn't willing to shell out a couple hundred dollars for a discontinued SanDisk or Lexar.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:44:15 PM »
I have both a Lexar and a Sandisk firewire 800 reader.  I don't bother to use them any more.  I didn't know they were worth anything. 

scruffysaint

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »
I've been using the Delock firewire reader for nearly a year now and it has served me extremely well. The only issues have been that it wasn't recognised by OSX Lion so I had to change back the OS and one of my Photofast CF cards isn't always recognised the first time it's inserted into the reader. Other than that...it's perfect!

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:33:33 PM »
I see Apple deprecating FW in favor for USB3.0 and Thunderbolt in the 2012 Macs.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »
I got one of  the Lexar firewire CF card readers from my neighbor when he was selling some random gear, I got it for $40 and didn't realize how good of a deal that was until I started looking for a 2nd and 3rd a few months later.  People were asking anywhere from $150-$250.  I immediately wished I had bought the 2nd one my neighbor had!
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »

EvilTed

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:09:26 PM »
scruffysaint

If you read the blog article in the link I posted, they mention a firmware update that fixes the OS-X Lion issue.
All the new shipping devices should have the updated firmware.

ET

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:46:03 PM »
Great Find! My Sandisk FW reader stopped working on snow leopard, or just stopped working...I contacted Sandisk and they sent me a new and updated one. Looks the same. Works great! Its nice to know if i need more readers i can still get them. They were smart to make this, cuz i wouldn't buy any other type myself, they transport images faster than anything I can get for my mac w/o installing HW on my mac pro.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:52:06 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I dug out my Lexar and my Sandisk firewire readers and sold them on ebay for more than I paid new.  I'll be using a USB 3 reader in the future.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 07:04:50 AM »
No USB3 on Macs, no ThunderBolt readers  :-[  I picked up a used SanDisk FW800 CF reader from Craigslist for $25 to supplement my ExpressCard/34 reader.

prestonpalmer

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
Great find, thanks! 

FWIW, I currently use an ExpressCard CF reader with my MB Pro, and I'm still hoping someone comes out with a Thunderbolt CF reader which would work with my MB Air.

What express card reader are you using for your MB pro?  I have the Sandisk Extreme Pro Express Card reader and that stupid thing crashes my macbook like crazy!  I called sandisk on it, they replaced it once, I had the same problem.  I talked to a senior hardware developer over at Sandisk and he said the product is no longer supported by anything over OS 10.4.?  I looked at Lexar's version, but it seems to be EXACTLY the same!  Im gonna order the FW800 you just posted.

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
I've been wondering what happened to all the FW800 readers...  I have, I think, two Lexar FW800 CF readers and they work well, but I switched to the Lexar Express Card CF reader when it became available a few years ago and that's all I use for my CF cards on my MBP.  I don't know if it's just the cards I used to use (300x) or if it is something else, but I was expecting a lot more speed from the express card slot than the FW800.  I timed DL's and they were essentially the same speed, to within probably a few seconds.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »
I've been wondering what happened to all the FW800 readers...  I have, I think, two Lexar FW800 CF readers and they work well, but I switched to the Lexar Express Card CF reader when it became available a few years ago and that's all I use for my CF cards on my MBP.  I don't know if it's just the cards I used to use (300x) or if it is something else, but I was expecting a lot more speed from the express card slot than the FW800.  I timed DL's and they were essentially the same speed, to within probably a few seconds.

You are using the Lexar Express Card CF? With MacbookPro 10.7+?  How much ram in the MacBook? Has your system ever kernel panicked (locked up) from using the card?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 09:32:03 PM »
What express card reader are you using for your MB pro?  I have the Sandisk Extreme Pro Express Card reader and that stupid thing crashes my macbook like crazy!

I use one from Siig.  It does cause an occasional kernel panic (the Siig ExpressCard SD reader doesn't); the Sandisk FW800 reader I picked up seems just as fast, and is quite stable.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 09:32:03 PM »