November 23, 2014, 12:43:43 PM

Author Topic: Looking for new Camera body & perhaps new lens  (Read 941 times)

canon23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Looking for new Camera body & perhaps new lens
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.  I'm new to photography.  I got my first DSRL, a Rebel XSI about 4 yrs ago when it first came out.  I never really got into shooting, but for the occasional events, gatherings and vacations.  I've recently become much more interested in photography and wants to become more serious.  I've recently took a local 9 sessions introduction to photography course and have been shooting a lot more.  Months ago, I've flirted with getting a 5D Mark ii previously but when I heard rumors of the Mark iii, I decided to wait.  Now that the Mark iii is released, but with a price I don't want to spend just yet, I'm wondering what I should do and thought inputs from more well versed photographers like yourselves will definitely help.

Should I buy a 5D mark ii (would like to explore full frame), 5D mark iii, or keep shooting with the Rebel.  I'm more interested in still photography, mainly landscapes (vacations), portraits, & if ever good enough, weddings.

As for lens, I have 4.  I just bought the 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.  I've been using the Rebel kit lens, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II;   EF 50mmf/1.8 II; and a Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3

If you suggest I get a new body, should I add more lens?  Your input is much appreciated.  Thanks!
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, II, Sigma 35 1.4 DG, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50 1.8 , Speedlite 430EX, YN 568 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

Looking for new Camera body & perhaps new lens
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for new Camera body & perhaps new lens
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 01:25:05 PM »
Well, I think you're really fortunate to get back into photography at the right time. In fact, I think this might be the time when the major migration from APS-C to FF for enthusiasts will be taking place.

It's interesting that Canon didn't stop the production of 5D2 even after introducing the 5D3. Nonetheless, this is a great time to grab a 5D2 at an affordable price.

While some would argue that going for the latest technology is the way to go, the price for the new body is not something to be taken lightly (of course, it's another story if you can afford US$3500 w/o flinching...). On the other hand, you have enough information on the Internet telling you both the strength and weaknesses of the 5D2, and you should be able to make a choice based upon your need.

The good thing about 5D2 is that it's a great camera - as long as you're not shooting action.

The drawback is that if you choose to go FF, you'll need to consider adjusting your lens inventory by getting rid of the EF-S lenses and go for the UW and tele L lenses. It's going to be quite an investment, so make sure this is the way you want to go before you start the process.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 02:18:20 PM »
Should I buy a 5D mark ii (would like to explore full frame), 5D mark iii, or keep shooting with the Rebel.  I'm more interested in still photography, mainly landscapes (vacations), portraits, & if ever good enough, weddings.

As for lens, I have 4.  I just bought the 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.  I've been using the Rebel kit lens, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II;   EF 50mmf/1.8 II; and a Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3

If you suggest I get a new body, should I add more lens?  Your input is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Whether or not you go full frame, you will probably want to upgrade some lenses. The 24-105 should work nicely as a "vacation lens". If you go full frame, you might want another lens for portraits (85mm or 135mm).

If you're not going full frame, you may want a wider lens (Canon, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina all make ultra wide zooms for APS-C)

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »
Having the 24-105mm makes moving to full frame easier for you.  The 24mm end on full frame is wider than your 18mm on your Rebel, and your 50mm prime will be more useful on FF.  I would also suggest the 5DII over the 5DIII if your budget is limited.  Try the 5DII with your 24-105L first, and then decide what your next lens purchase should be, whether it be on the wide side (16-35 or 17-40), another fast prime (35 or 85) or on the telephoto side (70-200 or 70-300).  The 1300+ USD that you'd save by choosing the II over the III can be better used for another lens, once you decide focal range you'd like to invest in.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »