November 23, 2014, 01:57:49 PM

Author Topic: sRGB vs Adobe RGB  (Read 9448 times)

msdarkroom

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
sRGB vs Adobe RGB
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »
Which do you use, AND, why?

And what color space do you use in LR/PS from there?

Just curious to see some reasoning and who is doing what.

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

sRGB vs Adobe RGB
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:23:09 PM »
sRGB, because that's what is used by the print lab I use (and by most print labs, actually).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »
sRGB, what Neuro said.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Lightroom is prophoto color space.  I set my cameras to Adobe RGB because my printer has a wide enough gamut to handle it pretty well, and i prefer to edit in the widest possible color space.

However, if you are producing web pages, SRGB is the setting to use.

LR4 now finally has soft proofing, which allows you to control your edits to work with your choice of printers.  I have seldom seen any of my images that were out of gamut for my Epson 3880.

It is a comples subject, so until you are ready, use SRGB and simplify your life.

Highly recommended is the articles about color management at Northlight Images.  Don't forget to calibrate your monitor, or prints will seldom match what you see on the monitor.

msdarkroom

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »
I use adobe rgb and the prophoto color space in LR and PS. I wait until the end of the workflow to convert to sRGB.
I am just curious what others are doing.
Thanks guys.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »
I'm on sRGB, if only more because it was the default, it's the default for computers, and monitors.

My monitor does 98% AdobeRGB (Dell Ultrasharp), i'm sure if i bothered searching I could figure out how to put X and KDE to AdobeRGB, at the moment I print at the local Kodak Express photolab, I'm not sure if they handle AdobeRGB but I could ask.
But it's all too much bother. The best difference you'll see between the two is in the greens, and I just don't do enough landscapes, and I don't sell anything, to justify all the bother.
For me, it's just the case of sRGB is 'good enough', so no need to get better...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »
I use adobe RGB as that was the original recommendations when the first DSLRs came out with the d60's, 10D, nikons D1X, etc. things have changed and gotten better with sRGB, but I still use adobe RGB if nothing more but out of habit.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 07:57:13 PM »
adobe RGB.  I was told by a pro who has spent years doing commercial photography, stock work and the like to switch to that setting, so I took his word for it and have been using it ever since.  Never thought it would be a problem with print labs.
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »
sRGB, for the reasons neuro mentioned. Did some testing with my own printer with adobe with shots that contained lots of greens even, and I just don't see it. But I very rarely do my own printing anyway, but i wanted to see for myself.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:01:39 PM by risc32 »

Stu_bert

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Lightroom is prophoto color space.  I set my cameras to Adobe RGB because my printer has a wide enough gamut to handle it pretty well, and i prefer to edit in the widest possible color space.

However, if you are producing web pages, SRGB is the setting to use.

LR4 now finally has soft proofing, which allows you to control your edits to work with your choice of printers.  I have seldom seen any of my images that were out of gamut for my Epson 3880.

It is a comples subject, so until you are ready, use SRGB and simplify your life.

Highly recommended is the articles about color management at Northlight Images.  Don't forget to calibrate your monitor, or prints will seldom match what you see on the monitor.
+1
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 09:12:43 PM »
Agree completely with each of Mt. Spok's statements.  Read the color management guides at Northlight, and if you want to go further, read Real World Color Management by Bruce Fraser.  It's really the definitive guide for understanding digital color workflow.

Lightroom natively works in Prophoto RGB, and anything given to a print shop or output to a printer should be maintained in that color space (if the lab supports it of course).  If you have to downconvert to Adobe RGB or SRGB for a lab or the web then it's the last step that you want to take in your workflow.  Personally I find that the Relative Colormetric method with black point compensation works well for most photographic needs.

Personally I shoot with cameras set to Adobe RGB, but would love to see Prophoto RGB available as an option.  IIRC at least with the older Firewire 1D cameras you could actually load your own custom color profiles into them.  Also, the Adobe DNG converter tool has a camera profiling tool that opens up a lot of possibilities for customizing the way Lightroom handles the color of your images.  Keith at Northlight has a good article on how to use it & why it's useful.

To answer your question as to why you want to do use the widest color space available for your device, the answer is simply to allow it to record the widest range of colors possible.  Why would one want to work in Prophoto RGB when the images coming out of the camera are defined in AdobeRGB?  Because once you get the image into Lightroom you start shifting around things like exposure, white balance, and all the other controls that affect color.  Manipulating the data in the image can easily push its gamut outside the range of the original color space.  When that happens, clipping & loss of detail like the magenta roll of thread in this image are the result.  This article has another good example of an image with colors that don't clip in Prophoto but do in AdobeRGB & are even worse in SRGB.

Definitely looking forward to trying out LR4's soft proofing like Photoshop has.

It's worth pointing out that having a good monitor and calibration device (& knowing how to use them) are paramount to getting your color workflow close to doing what you want it to do.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:30:08 PM by funkboy »

Cardad

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 10:18:33 PM »
I have a wide gamut monitor (NEC PA), so I use Adobe RGB to view and process photos.  To me, the color is much better.  Depends on your needs.  I rarely print.

Terry Rogers

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:01 PM »
Long before I became interested in photography or knew anything about it, I got married. I was very poor and hired a "cheap" photographer. We'll, you get what you pay for.

Looking back, I suppose it's not fair to judge him for using one of the the original rebels with a kit lens as I wasn't paying very much (and didn't know any better).

However, I think he fancied himself a pro shooter because he was shooting with the adobe RGB color space. How do I know this? Because he gave me jpegs in adobe RGB. I didn't firgure out why the images looked dull and lifeless with terrible colors until years later when I began learning about digital photography. When I realized the jpegs were in adobe RGB and converted them to sRGB for viewing on my monitor the colors improved significantly (as my basic jpeg viewer didn't support adobe RGB).

While the photos still remained so so, at least the colors weren't messed up anymore because I was trying to view them in the wrong color space.

While this experience didn't convince me not to shoot in adobe RGB, I shoot in sRGB for convenience sake. I am not a professional and don't control my color from input to output. So I have no need to be precise with my color. sRGB is just more convenient for me.
Rebel T3i,  EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, 430 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:01 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 11:56:54 PM »
well this topic is not all that straight forward as there are 3 distinct  parts

1. what you shoot
2. what you process
3. what you deliver

1. WHAT YOU SHOOT

if you are shooting in raw the setting in camera sRGB or Adobe RGB has no relevence this setting affects the in camera JPEG only

If you are shooting in JPG you are far better off shooting in sRGB as it will be more universally correct for MOST printers and all web applications.

General rule here is in camera leave it in sRGB unless its aspecific client request. the setting doesnt effect RAW

WHAT I DO:
I shoot RAW and sRGB small or medium jpg files that way i can dump out the jpgs for someone to view or make a selection from quickly and use the RAW files for editing

2. WHAT YOU PROCESS

This is related to the colour space you processing applications use for example lightroom processes in prophoto RGB by default so it uses the full extent of the RAW information, you can configure you working space to whichever format you like but its best to do all processing on RAW files in the best available colour space.

WHAT I DO:
I leave the processing settings in lightroom and photoshop in prophoto RGB since i only process RAW and output sRGB Jpegs

3. WHAT YOU DELIVER

This is the colour space relating to the output, all output for web needs to be in sRGB so if you are outputing for this purpose you will need to convert you processed images to sRGB for delivery

Printing, Generally sRGB is correct for most printers unless you are printing to a calibrated setup with Adobe RGB or get a specific client request for Adobe RGB you are still best outputting your JPGs to sRGB

WHAT I DO:
I convert all processed deliverables to sRGB jpg files at maximum quality

That's about the most simplified expanation I could come up with
APS-H Fanboy

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 01:11:06 AM »
+1 wickid!

What a great breakdown!
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 01:11:06 AM »