October 23, 2014, 09:49:12 AM

Author Topic: Backup body for dangerous areas  (Read 5937 times)

Angryoak

Re: Backup body for dangerous areas
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 02:22:11 AM »
Just get travel insurance and take the good body with you

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 02:22:11 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 02:23:30 AM »
So... Im thinking of a 400D + Canon 50 1.8. The 400D because it is the lowest camera I can go down that has a screen big enough so I can review my photos.

If you're set on going into "dangerous" areas I guess it's clever to take something you won't miss that much. Actually, I used to take the smaller 60d + the 50/1.8 to demonstrations because it low-light capable, fits in my pocket and I only take it out shortly for point and click shooting style, so that worked for me. Hiding the big "Canon" label with some black tape and resisting to use your big Canon neck strap might be a good idea, too. Or get an insurance, but that won't replace a stolen body immediately back at your hotel.

But of course to less well-off people *any* dslr gear looks valuable, and if they really want to *rob* you (not pickpocket) my personal, but strong advice is: Don't resist and cut your losses, any weapon you have might be turned against you - gun or spray - and some hundred bucks aren't worth your health, let alone your life.

briansquibb

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 02:28:56 AM »
Put it on a wire harness so it cant be snatched - and it leaves two hands free for flee or fight. None of my cameras have a strap.

tuankid

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 07:31:55 AM »
my advice: don't go to dangerous place, even if you're not taking pictures. if you think it is dangerous, stay out of it. the fact that you're alone make you a perfect target!

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:24 AM »
Put it on a wire harness so it cant be snatched - and it leaves two hands free for flee or fight. None of my cameras have a strap.

I'd advise caution on this one. If your dealing with people who would hurt you, you don't want any delays in handing over your gear, or them taking it.  But normally I do recommend theft reistant straps.  On the plus side, a wire in the strap means you can use it to defend against a knife attack, but only if you have training or your fighting for you life.

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »
I think the Nikon D4 is a good option... If something should happen... who cares, it's a Nikon  ;D

grahamsz

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »
Just get travel insurance and take the good body with you

This! Especially if you have a new for old policy. If you find yourself mugged, you file a police report, pay a deductible and get an upgrade to the latest kit.

Obviously it pays to be aware of your surroundings, but there's much to be said for not acting like you are in a dangerous part of town. If you are confident and comfortable then I believe you are much less likely to be targeted. If you stick out like a nervous tourist then you'll be treated as such.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »

SPG

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »
Ignoring the "danger" or perceived danger, you may want to take a look at any of the recent G series cameras. RAW, small, good controls, less obtrusive than a DSLR. In fact to the untrained eye, a G camera looks like a really old point and shoot since it doesn't look like a modern sleek small camera. Shooting travel with my G-9 tends to attract much less attention than my 7D, and thus producing more natural shots if people are walking past.

aeturnum

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »
In regards to those advising you to carry a concealed weapon, if you take that route be sure to be proficient with the weapon you choose to carry. If you lose your camera, you're out a few thousand dollars, but you raise the stakes when you arm yourself. Improperly handling a situation could result in you hurting yourself or someone else unnecessarily (which has its own financial and legal burdens). Personally, I don't think the increased risk is worth the money you might save, but there are plenty who don't agree with me :) .

mjp

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 11:08:12 PM »
As we have no idea where you're going, the type of 'dangerous places' vary from country to country. If you're travelling abroad (even if you're not), absolutely do not carry a concealed weapon - in many countries you'll be facing a lot more troubles than lost camera gear if you go this route and are caught. I see no reason why you should not just carry the 5DII and take along a simple street shooter like a Fuji X100, Xpro1, OM-D, etc. I've been to many questionable areas in North America as well as overseas and have never had a problem with people wanting to steal my camera gear. Not to say it won't happen. Good luck.

SPG

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »
As this conversation is veering back towards the notion of dangerous areas and the potential of getting robbed, a few key points...
1. Carrying a firearm is a ludicrous suggestion for most people in most places. Yeah, I know...2nd amedment, 'merica! and all that, but the reality is that the chances of you successfully defending yourself with a gun in any kind of street robbery are ridiculously slim. People who rob others depend on the element of surprise and speed. You won't have enough time to even get your hand to your gun. I'm not even anti gun in general, but the idea of a gun as a magic wand that makes bad situations disappear is simply ridiculous. The real world just doesn't work that way.
2. Don't be an easy target. One person with their eyes on a camera or slinking around looking lost will look like a vulnerable target. Two people walking with a purpose is a harder target. Three is a threat. Bring a friend. They can keep an eye out and watch your back while you're looking through the camera.
3. Know where you are and be aware of your surroundings. Know which direction you can run to get to a crowd of people.
4. Trust your instincts. Something doesn't feel right? You think that guy is sizing you up? Get out of there. Now.
5. Get insurance and don't worry about the gear if you get robbed.
6. NEVER, as in never ever not even for a couple minutes leave your gear in a car. Ever. That is the number one target and the number one place where cameras are stolen. Out of sight in the trunk? Nope. Any thief spotting tourist locations will size you up and break into your car looking for your luggage and laptop. The cameras are a nice bonus for them.
7. Travel light so you can bring it with you and not look like your mounting an Everest expedition complete with a team of Sherpas.

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »
Probably the wrong way to go, but...

westr70

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »
Our company does photography of historic structures in So. Cal. and that leads to being in some interesting areas.  We have found out that many gangs are very unhappy about having their turf or members photographed.   Gang members are NOT intimidated by two or three people.   The only thing I would advise, other than not going, is to have a clear destination and get out of the area in under three minutes.  Not a bad idea to have a driver at the wheel with the engine going.  I would also recommend that you not "cruise" slowly down any streets in gang areas.   My two cents.
5DIII; 600D; 7D; 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6; EFS-18-135, f3.5-5.6; 100mm, f2.8 IS; 70-200mm, F4 L IS; 17-40mm, f4 L USM; Sigma 50 mm, f2.8.
http://500px.com/Westr70
http://www.facebook.com/JohnFosterPhotography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »

unruled

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »
the gun idea seems rediculous. Most theft is theft of opportunity, so I'd say don't be/look to be the typical nonchalant tourist.

More importantly, where are you going that you deem to be so dangerous?

Tracy Pinto

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »
Bring a 5D Mark III and have the mugger read this blog first. He will hand it back to you and maybe leave you a small tip.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:26:54 PM by Tracy Pinto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »