July 25, 2014, 12:05:08 AM

Author Topic: Backup body for dangerous areas  (Read 5616 times)

Physicx

Backup body for dangerous areas
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »
Yes, thats right. Going backpacking. Got my 5DII. Sold my 450D for some extra cash. I got some good L glass and sigma 50 1.4. Plenty.

Now, Im going to some dangerous areas, or even safer places but places I dont feel comfortable taking out my 5DII and Sigma 1.4. Hence the idea of taking a muggable-backup body + a lens came about.

Im thinking of taking this body + lens for night walk abouts or just dangerous places during the day when I can possible be mugged lol. The ideal pair would be the 550D + Sigma 30 f/1.4 for a nice walk around. But it is pretty expensive. Esp the lens.

So... Im thinking of a 400D + Canon 50 1.8. The 400D because it is the lowest camera I can go down that has a screen big enough so I can review my photos. The 50mm 1.8 for lowlight/walk around. The whole kit is £200 2nd hand. Quite a bit, but nothing close compared to losing the 5DII and sigma 1.4.

Another idea is just bring a point and shoot as backup. That is possible, my logic is that taking a cropped body could help with telephoto shots with those lenses.

suggestions are welcome.

canon rumors FORUM

Backup body for dangerous areas
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Backup body for dangerous areas
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 10:25:57 PM »
A smith and Wesson would make good back up body for muggers

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:55:08 PM »
A smith and Wesson would make good back up body for muggers
I was gonna suggest a 1D on a monopod can double as a good club but yours is better :(
APS-H Fanboy

David KM

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:13:13 PM »
G1X is looking very good and low profile.

I actually do quite a bit of street work in Oakland, Ca. and (seriously) carry a Springfield XD .40cal when out in questionable areas.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:14:59 PM by David KM »

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:15:36 PM »
Just wrap your camera up with gaffer's tape and pick up a low profile camera strap. Works wonders! People are drawn to brands/logos. Funny how human psychology works.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

Cardad

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 11:33:23 PM »
I just bought a 50D as a backup for my 7D.  One thought for the backup is to carry the 50D with no grip, a black lens, and an unbranded strap to be a little less obvious.  I have a friend who used to put black electrical tape over the "Nikon" brand on his camera.

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
7D... if only for the weather sealing and mag. alloy body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 11:36:08 PM »
First suggestion: Stay out of dangerous places. There's no "LOL" after you really get mugged. There are plenty of great pictures in the world without risking your health and property.

If you're going anyway, take my nephew with you -- it only takes one punch for him to put them down. Seriously, if you go to such a place, the odds of being targeted for attack drop dramatically if you're not alone.

If you're going to persist with such ill-advised "adventure," buy a used S95 and put some black tape over the white Canon lettering on the front. Also, take a lot of small cards and swap out often -- if you lose the camera you still probably get to keep some pictures to remember the pain by.

And as a disclaimer, I am not a lawyer and this is not intended as legal advice!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 11:51:58 PM »
Are you going to have somewhere safe to keep the 5Dii and lenses while you're out with the other camera?  You might find that you're burdening yourself with more gear, only to find that you don't like leaving the expensive gear back in your room.  Otherwise, I'm thinking the 400D would be a handy backup option.  Its low cost and compatible with your other lenses.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 11:55:33 PM »
Yeah, it's usually not a good idea to go to places you know have security concerns. Why risk your health and possessions if you don't have to?

Being mugged is one thing, but sometimes even the simple act of pulling out the camera may lead to over-reactions you may not be expecting.

If you really want to cut the loss, then just bring an old cell phone that takes photos...
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

rm

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »
When you say "backpacking" do you mean season bus/train passes, staying in hostels, going out on the batter with fellow backpackers etc.?

If that is the kind of thing you have in mind, I'd give serious consideration to something like an 'S' series.  It is small enough to fit in your pocket so it's always with you and discrete for when you want to stay under the radar.  Like others have suggested, I'd also change out the standard neck strap on the 5DII.

How much gear are you planning on carrying (everything, not just cameras)?  You may quickly regret all that weight/bulk of multiple bodies and lenses if you have to trek far.  Also don't forget you have to carry all this when you are doing bus/train transfers, queuing for tickets while being pestered by beggars, etc.

If you are staying in hostels, give some thought to how you are going to protect the gear left in the dorm - security ranges from very little to none in my experience, no matter where you are backpacking.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:25:53 AM by rm »

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:12:03 AM »
You might want to try to ding up the camera a bit before going. If we were talking furniture, we'd use the word "distressed". But, assuming that if someone wants it, your going to hand it over (not worth your life), used point and shoots might be the best option.

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 01:10:11 AM »
At the very least (and if that's all you can carry), carry pepper spray.

Edit: Gramar
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:52:45 AM by RC »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 01:10:11 AM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 01:54:12 AM »
I have a couple of suggestions...

First off, and most importantly, your first backup body should be a buddy with good situational awareness.  If you're anything like me once you get those "photographer eyes" going you're not aware of your surroundings in the traditional sense, and are more on the lookout for shots than danger.  Also, two people are much less likely to be hassled than one.

Second. If you were in the US and in a state where constitutional rights are still intact (i.e., concealed carry is allowed), and your buddy it licensed to do so... then I'd say do so.  But since you're in the UK, my only suggestion would be a sturdy tripod or monopod carried by your buddy.  Normal people wont even notice it, but thugs certainly will; and will think twice about how badly they want your equipment.

Third.  Hopefully the above two precautions would allow you to feel comfortable carrying your normal kit.  But if not, you can still do great photography with a 400D & 50/1.8.

Remember, layers of defense.  And if things do go pear shaped, your kit isn't worth your life.

D_Rochat

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 01:55:23 AM »
Put a Sony badge on it. No one will waste their time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 01:55:23 AM »