September 22, 2014, 10:16:47 AM

Author Topic: Canon 50mm 1.4 AF problem?  (Read 10879 times)

Beautor

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 50mm 1.4 AF problem?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
^ the sigma 50mm has AF? Really? I thought it was excusively MF.

Can you please elaborate a little more on why you didnt buy the sigma 50mm. That you didnt want to get burnt by the "sigma lottery." What's that mean exactly? The current sigma 50mm lens wont work on future canon dflr's?

The Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM (current EF model) does have autofocus with HSM (Sigma's version of USM), but that's where the lottery is primarily too. Sigma has some quality control issues where some lenses will nail the focus great, and others consistantly front or back focus. The lens is very sharp if you get a good copy, and can be extremely frustrating if you get a bad one. There's also often problems where the lens will work fine on one camera body, and then be way off on another body. It can be a great lens though, especially if you prefer manual focus since it eliminates the inconsistant AF.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:29:09 AM by Beautor »
Simply a hobbyist with an expensive hobby.
40D & 60D, 24-70L, 70-200 F4L, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 No-VC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »

BillyBean

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »
I have the Sigma 50mm 1.4. It's a very nice lens, especially for portait work on a crop frame. I love 50mm, and I use it a lot. I looked very carefully at the 50mm Canon offerings before purchasing the Sigma - after all, it costs more than the Canon equivalent. In the end, I decided that the Canon was optimised more for the landscape market that it was designed for back in the 1950s (the optical design is that old) and did not reflect what I do with 50mm today - looking for good bokeh and all that.  And the Canon autofocus motor seemed a bit naff at this price. So I went for the Sigma, rightly or wrongly. But I'm happy with my decision. I also have the Canon 50mm f1.8 (mark 1 version - with the metal lens mount!) which costs the price a round of drinks, and is a great lens for more general work. Get one on eBay... but don't get the mark II - it has a crappy plastic lens mount and structure, which breaks in about 10 minutes, from friend's experience.

I think the 'Sigma lottery' refers to the possibility that Canon will change the electronic/software lens interface in some way in order to 'inadvertently' invalidate 3rd party lenses. I think that's actually very hard nowadays, because they have to maintain backward compatibility with their entire back catalogue of lenses back to 1987, but I guess theoretically it could happen. All I can say is that I've no compatibility issues with this lens whatsoever. And it autofocuses great by the way - fast and accurate, IMHO.

My only minor gripe is the size - its a little on the weighty side.

Review is at: http://www.dpreview.com/products/sigma/lenses/sigma_50_1p4

slinky

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
I picked up the Canon 50 1.4 from Craigslist a few months ago and the autofocus died after a bit. I don't think that it was a problem that it had but as others have said, this lens is very susceptible to damage by being struck on the front element. I don't remember dropping it but it must have just been shaken in my bag.

Actually the autofocus didn't totally go. I just couldn't focus on anything closer than 1 metre.

However... thankfully this is not an uncommon problem with the camera and there was lots of advice online about how to fix this problem. So actually it was a great adventure and lots of fun to open this lens up and fix the problem. Obviously not everyone will feel comfortable with doing this but it is possible.

As long as you take care of the lens (store it horizontally) you shouldn't have a problem but in the worst case, even if you do, it is fixable. Obviously the build quality could be better but the price is right. A great value lens.

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 10:37:27 AM »
^ the sigma 50mm has AF? Really? I thought it was excusively MF.

Can you please elaborate a little more on why you didnt buy the sigma 50mm. That you didnt want to get burnt by the "sigma lottery." What's that mean exactly? The current sigma 50mm lens wont work on future canon dflr's?

The Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM (current EF model) does have autofocus with HSM (Sigma's version of USM), but that's where the lottery is primarily too. Sigma has some quality control issues where some lenses will nail the focus great, and others consistantly front or back focus. The lens is very sharp if you get a good copy, and can be extremely frustrating if you get a bad one. There's also often problems where the lens will work fine on one camera body, and then be way off on another body. It can be a great lens though, especially if you prefer manual focus since it eliminates the inconsistant AF.

Scott, I think you are confusing the Sigma with the Zeiss, which is MF only.  The Zeiss is more expensive and, from what I've read, the bohkeh might not be great, due to its 9-blade diaphragm (the Canon's 8-blade diaphragm is rounder).

Sigma:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/560577-USA/Sigma_310_101_Normal_50mm_f_1_4_EX.html

Zeiss:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583975-REG/Zeiss_1677_817_Normal_50mm_f_1_4_ZE.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:04:15 AM by DJL329 »
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »
The 50 f/1.4 is a pretty crappy lens. The USM motor and focusing ring aren't made very well. Invest in some L lenses and don't look back.

No. I'm guessing you made this comment to see what kind of reaction you would get. Yes, the motor and focusing ring aren't what I would consider top-notch, but that lens can hardly be considered 'crappy'.  The images it produces--by far the most important consideration of a lens--is virtually indistinguishable from the 50mm f/1.2 L, which costs about 3x more.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 12:51:24 AM »
Scott, I think you are confusing the Sigma with the Zeiss, which is MF only.  The Zeiss is more expensive and, from what I've read, the bohkeh might not be great, due to its 9-blade diaphragm (the Canon's 8-blade diaphragm is rounder).

Sigma:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/560577-USA/Sigma_310_101_Normal_50mm_f_1_4_EX.html

Zeiss:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583975-REG/Zeiss_1677_817_Normal_50mm_f_1_4_ZE.html
Yeah maybe i am. I know that (at least) one of the 3rd party 50mm lenses is only MF. Until today I didnt know that sigma made a macro 50mm lens.

I forgot to mention it's not only AF that quits from the canon 50mm 1.4 lens it's also the MF. They both stop working and it becomes a dead lens.

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 01:02:17 AM »
I have the 50 1.4 and I've never had a problem with it.  It's a great little lens.  Is it the same build quality as my L glass, heck no, but dollar for dollar for IQ, it's a great lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 01:02:17 AM »

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 01:09:32 AM »
^ How old is your lens and do you use it with a filter? Im afraid that if i buy this lens, it will break after a few months :(

D.Sim

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 01:39:17 AM »
Just how exactly are you using (abusing?) your lenses if you can be afraid of breaking one after a few months? =/

And its not even the plasticky nifty fifty?

Lenses are not exactly easy to break, not unless you go out of your way to abuse it, and while the AF may fail - its pretty much what could happen to any lens if you don't take care of it.

Also:

I forgot to mention it's not only AF that quits from the canon 50mm 1.4 lens it's also the MF. They both stop working and it becomes a dead lens.

MF failing?  :o

where are you getting this info?

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 01:46:09 AM »
^ How old is your lens and do you use it with a filter? Im afraid that if i buy this lens, it will break after a few months :(

I've had mine 2 years now and still going strong and its been all over the world with me
APS-H Fanboy

slinky

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 02:18:30 PM »
Also:

MF failing?  :o

where are you getting this info?

Unfortunately he's right. If you have the problem like I described above, the MF will also fail. This lens is notorious for this problem. The focus ring can easily get bent and severely limits the range of the auto or manual focus. This is not an isolated issue and if you google "fix canon 50 1.4 focus problem" you will see many results of people having this problem. Like I mentioned if you're not scared to open your lens up and fix it, it isn't a deal breaker but if you are rough with this lens, you will likely have problems. Actually I was much rougher with my 50 1.8 and never had any problems but I'm taking extra care with the 1.4 now. If this lens takes a hit to the front, there is a chance that you'll have focus problems but still, a great lens and highly recommended from me for its cost/quality.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 02:18:30 PM »