Image & Video Galleries > Macro

Canon MP-E 65 1x-5x 2.8 Macro Lens example photos

<< < (2/21) > >>

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: Goincarcrazy on January 05, 2011, 08:55:04 AM ---The precision matte focusing screens, although dark with this lens, REALLY help with focusing.

--- End quote ---

It was my understanding that the benefit of the precision matte focusing screen is really for lenses faster than f/2.8, since the laser etching on the standard screen which is intended to brighten slow (e.g. consumer) lenses limits faster lenses to VF brightness equivalent to about f/2.5.  I've certainly confirmed that with my 85L and a standard screen, where stopping down from f/1.2 onwards with DoF preview, the VF does not get any dimmer until I hit ~f/2.5 (although on my 7D, it's clear that the light is getting in since the transmissive LCD in the VF is much more 'washed out' at f/1.2 than f/2.5, even though the scene brightness is unchanged).

Since the 'brightness' of the VF changes in tandem with the DoF seen through the VF, the standard focusing screen is showing you a DoF equivalent to ~f/2.5, even with a wider aperture lens.  Thus, precision focusing screens are better for fast lenses because they are showing you the true DoF at apertures faster than f/2.8.

However, I was not aware that there was a significant benefit to the precision matte focusing screens with for manual focusing with f/2.8 (like the MP-E 65mm) and slower lenses.  I could see the benefit of a split screen and microprism, but not sure about the benefit from the plain matte screen.  Can you elaborate?

Tice Lerner:
Hello! Here are a few from me.  :)

European Paper Wasp single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100

European Paper Wasp single shot taken at 5x magnification, f11, 1/250th sec ISO100

Jumping Spider leaping at my lens - single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100

Dragonfly single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100

European Paper Wasp single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100

Two Japanese ladybugs (Harmonia axyridis) on a leaf mating. I spotted them around 1:30am. This was taken hand held at 3x magnification and an aperture of f/13 at 1/250th sec, iso100. The final image consists of 4 photos with 4 different focal planes stacked.

Bumblebee single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100

Honey bee single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100

Ant single shot taken at 3x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100

Eye of a huge snapping turtle - single shot taken at 1x magnification, f13, 1/250th sec ISO100

Macadameane:
Those are very impressive and sharp even at higher magnifications, Great Work!

What type of lighting did you use?

Goincarcrazy:
Very cool stuff Tice!

neuroanatomist: your explanation is correct, and it might be my own little weird quirky way of focusing on stuff that close, but having such a shallow DoF showing through the VF against something like a ladybug that's filling up the viewfinder shows me exactly where the midpoint of where this lens is focusing.  From there I just simply adjust in my head about where the outer extents of my DoF are gonna fall.  I guess it's more of a guide for me to know that what I want in focus will be in focus.  With the normal focusing screen, a lot of times it seems like most of the bug is in focus, which doesn't help me at all for placing the focus point where I need it. 

In a weird way I guess the precision screen would help with stacking too, allowing you to see minute adjustments as you go.  So yeah, I definitely see your point.  It helps me, but may not help others.

Goincarcrazy:
Oh, and Rev: yeah the stofens seem to help, but I only have them because the guy I bought the MT-24ex from threw them in for free.  There are many cheaper and better alternatives to diffuse the light.  Check out photography-on-the.net as I've seen many DIY's for macro lighting setups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version