Gear Talk > Canon General

Is Amazon selling fake LP-E6 batteries or did Canon change design?

(1/9) > >>

unkbob:
Just received a new LP-E6 battery from Amazon.co.uk. I used the default seller for buying, which I thought was Amazon (free delivery and fulfilled by Amazon) but looks like it was from a company called AineZ Store (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=1&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&isCBA=&asin=&seller=ATFN3XBCPF8PD).

The new battery looks different from my old ones! Can someone please confirm whether Canon has changed the materials used in their battery manufacture? My guess is NO! The new battery cover is more orange than the old ones, and the battery plastic has a more matt finish. Typical warning signs in my eyes. However, the new battery says the chip is made in Japan, assembled in China, which is different from the old text and it's dated Feb 2012, so it could be that they've changed their manufacturing process?

Did I spend £45 on a fake?

Pics below!

neuroanatomist:
Bummer.  I'd suspect counterfeit.  They look more authentic every year...

"Fulfilled by Amazon" just means the vendor has an arrangement with Amazon to warehouse their stock and handle shipping logistics - it's still a 3rd party vendor.

Here's an old Canon article on counterfeit batteries.

Also, check the hologram on the package.  Canon's anti-counterfeiting tactics includes the use of the special hologram. The new unique holograms show the word ‘Canon’ running horizontally in a number of bands, and in between the ‘ribbons’ users should see a helix design, also running horizontally, overprinted with the word ‘genuine’. The hologram has a color-changing feature also. Upright, it should appear as an iridescent gold, but when tipped into a horizontal position, a bright, iridescent green. If this transition does not color, Canon advises that the hologram is fake.

neuroanatomist:
Also, Google has a cached page of a review from amazon.com (for a different Canon battery), but review has been deleted.  Here's a screenshot of it:

unkbob:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on March 19, 2012, 10:38:42 AM ---Also, Google has a cached page of a review from amazon.com (for a different Canon battery), but review has been deleted.  Here's a screenshot of it:

--- End quote ---

Brilliant, thanks for that!

kiniro:
Well this is just great.  I ordered one from Amazon last week but as far as I remember it was "fulfilled and shipped by Amazon".  I'll check mine when I get home.  Haven't even opened the package yet since I'm waiting for my new camera.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version