Gear Talk > Canon General

Is Amazon selling fake LP-E6 batteries or did Canon change design?

<< < (2/9) > >>

Warninglabel:
I'm not saying these are real but I remember reading somewhere that canon had to redesign there batteries over there because of a new law, but they said that the old batteries will still fit.

unkbob:

--- Quote from: kiniro on March 19, 2012, 11:08:32 AM ---Well this is just great.  I ordered one from Amazon last week but as far as I remember it was "fulfilled and shipped by Amazon".  I'll check mine when I get home.  Haven't even opened the package yet since I'm waiting for my new camera.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, unfortunately "fulfilled and shipped by" doesn't mean "sold by". I'm 90% sure it's fake, albeit a very impressive effort. I just noticed the older Canons use metallic silver ink on the label, whereas the new/fake one just uses grey.

I should get my new 5D3 soon, so I can see what their latest batteries look like.

Drizzt321:

--- Quote from: Warninglabel on March 19, 2012, 11:11:47 AM ---I'm not saying these are real but I remember reading somewhere that canon had to redesign there batteries over there because of a new law, but they said that the old batteries will still fit.

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure this for the 1DX batteries, although the old 1D batteries will still work.

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: Drizzt321 on March 19, 2012, 11:37:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: Warninglabel on March 19, 2012, 11:11:47 AM ---I'm not saying these are real but I remember reading somewhere that canon had to redesign there batteries over there because of a new law, but they said that the old batteries will still fit.

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure this for the 1DX batteries, although the old 1D batteries will still work.

--- End quote ---

Yes, the 1D X ships with the LP-E4N, which is backwards/forwards compatible with LP-E4-using cameras, but not with the older charger (the N battery will not get a full charge).

The 5DIII uses the LP-E6, same battery as 5DII, 7D, and 60D.  In it's current form, it's compliant with the new Japanese law.

7enderbender:

--- Quote from: unkbob on March 19, 2012, 10:13:37 AM ---

Did I spend £45 on a fake?

Pics below!

--- End quote ---

You may. There was an article somewhere recently that dealt with the vast numbers of Canon counterfeit items floating around. This is becoming obviously a bigger problem with all things that have a potential for high profit margins. Talk to anyone in the pharmaceutical industry where this has become a problem bigger than most folks like to admit - and it even happens within the supply chain.

So you may end up with a fake battery even at a mainstream dealer. The article showed some pictures of real and fake. Some fakes were so good that you just couldn't tell. I make it a point to only buy from authorized Canon dealers. Even there may be a risk but at least then you're covered if you notice or if anything happens.

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/IXUS/counterfeit_batteries.asp

I would contact Canon about this and notify them and get information from them. I would try to get my money back through Amazon and notify them also. Should be in their interest to help you.

Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version