October 21, 2014, 04:37:58 PM

Author Topic: Is Amazon selling fake LP-E6 batteries or did Canon change design?  (Read 22445 times)

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Just received a new LP-E6 battery from Amazon.co.uk. I used the default seller for buying, which I thought was Amazon (free delivery and fulfilled by Amazon) but looks like it was from a company called AineZ Store (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=1&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&isCBA=&asin=&seller=ATFN3XBCPF8PD).

The new battery looks different from my old ones! Can someone please confirm whether Canon has changed the materials used in their battery manufacture? My guess is NO! The new battery cover is more orange than the old ones, and the battery plastic has a more matt finish. Typical warning signs in my eyes. However, the new battery says the chip is made in Japan, assembled in China, which is different from the old text and it's dated Feb 2012, so it could be that they've changed their manufacturing process?

Did I spend £45 on a fake?

Pics below!

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Is Amazon selling fake LP-E6 batteries or did Canon change design?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:34:34 AM »
Bummer.  I'd suspect counterfeit.  They look more authentic every year...

"Fulfilled by Amazon" just means the vendor has an arrangement with Amazon to warehouse their stock and handle shipping logistics - it's still a 3rd party vendor.

Here's an old Canon article on counterfeit batteries.

Also, check the hologram on the package.  Canon's anti-counterfeiting tactics includes the use of the special hologram. The new unique holograms show the word ‘Canon’ running horizontally in a number of bands, and in between the ‘ribbons’ users should see a helix design, also running horizontally, overprinted with the word ‘genuine’. The hologram has a color-changing feature also. Upright, it should appear as an iridescent gold, but when tipped into a horizontal position, a bright, iridescent green. If this transition does not color, Canon advises that the hologram is fake.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »
Also, Google has a cached page of a review from amazon.com (for a different Canon battery), but review has been deleted.  Here's a screenshot of it:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:41:03 AM by neuroanatomist »

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:46:07 AM »
Also, Google has a cached page of a review from amazon.com (for a different Canon battery), but review has been deleted.  Here's a screenshot of it:

Brilliant, thanks for that!

kiniro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:08:32 AM »
Well this is just great.  I ordered one from Amazon last week but as far as I remember it was "fulfilled and shipped by Amazon".  I'll check mine when I get home.  Haven't even opened the package yet since I'm waiting for my new camera.

Warninglabel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:11:47 AM »
I'm not saying these are real but I remember reading somewhere that canon had to redesign there batteries over there because of a new law, but they said that the old batteries will still fit.
5D Mark III, 7D, 70mm-200mm f/2.8L IS II Speedlite 600EX-RT 24mm - 70mm f/2.8 II
Stop Action Sports | My Google + | Christopher Mitchell Photography

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »
Well this is just great.  I ordered one from Amazon last week but as far as I remember it was "fulfilled and shipped by Amazon".  I'll check mine when I get home.  Haven't even opened the package yet since I'm waiting for my new camera.

Yeah, unfortunately "fulfilled and shipped by" doesn't mean "sold by". I'm 90% sure it's fake, albeit a very impressive effort. I just noticed the older Canons use metallic silver ink on the label, whereas the new/fake one just uses grey.

I should get my new 5D3 soon, so I can see what their latest batteries look like.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
I'm not saying these are real but I remember reading somewhere that canon had to redesign there batteries over there because of a new law, but they said that the old batteries will still fit.

I'm pretty sure this for the 1DX batteries, although the old 1D batteries will still work.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:40:53 AM »

I'm pretty sure this for the 1DX batteries, although the old 1D batteries will still work.

Yes, the 1D X ships with the LP-E4N, which is backwards/forwards compatible with LP-E4-using cameras, but not with the older charger (the N battery will not get a full charge).

The 5DIII uses the LP-E6, same battery as 5DII, 7D, and 60D.  In it's current form, it's compliant with the new Japanese law.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »

Did I spend £45 on a fake?

Pics below!

You may. There was an article somewhere recently that dealt with the vast numbers of Canon counterfeit items floating around. This is becoming obviously a bigger problem with all things that have a potential for high profit margins. Talk to anyone in the pharmaceutical industry where this has become a problem bigger than most folks like to admit - and it even happens within the supply chain.

So you may end up with a fake battery even at a mainstream dealer. The article showed some pictures of real and fake. Some fakes were so good that you just couldn't tell. I make it a point to only buy from authorized Canon dealers. Even there may be a risk but at least then you're covered if you notice or if anything happens.

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/IXUS/counterfeit_batteries.asp

I would contact Canon about this and notify them and get information from them. I would try to get my money back through Amazon and notify them also. Should be in their interest to help you.

Good luck.

5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
Judging by the hologram, I've come to the conclusion that the packaging is real but the battery is fake. You can easily open the packaging without damaging it, and it seems that someone has swapped out a real for a fake battery. Possibly a previous customer of this same seller, who subsequently returned the item.

Nice little scam, that. Buy £10 knockoffs from ebay, swap them for real ones from Amazon and return the knockoffs to Amazon.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:18:47 PM by unkbob »

tjc320

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »
The bottom of your new battery looks just like all my batteries. Including the one that came with my 5D. Is it possible that your old batteries were fakes?

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
Contact Canon. They can help you confirm one way or the other.  They may not be able to do anyting to help you, but with your assistance they may be help others by going after the company or individuals involved.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »

msdarkroom

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 12:38:42 PM »
I received a fake from Amazon last year (3rd party fulfilled by Amazon). I returned it, was refunded, and went to B&H online.

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 01:23:10 PM »
The bottom of your new battery looks just like all my batteries. Including the one that came with my 5D. Is it possible that your old batteries were fakes?

No. My old batteries include those which came with the original cameras (5d2 + 7D). Check your batteries - I bet the date stamp is on metallic silver ink. On this new one the ink is grey. Also, I bet your Canon batteries have the yellow/orange covers, not the brown / orange one I posted. The brown / orange is the same type used by the Energizers, and it's a bit more rubbery.

I'm sending it back to Amazon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 01:23:10 PM »