September 21, 2014, 06:38:31 PM

Author Topic: Heading to London, mate? Better keep your lens cap on!  (Read 8752 times)

canon rumors FORUM

Heading to London, mate? Better keep your lens cap on!
« on: March 19, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Heading to London, mate? Better keep your lens cap on!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 02:38:49 AM »
I wonder with the olympics coming up if the authorities are going to put these power tripping lunatics on leashes otherwise it could put a serious dent in the UK international reputation
APS-H Fanboy

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 04:11:19 AM »
Maybe she was using a Nikon or a Pentax? In that case the police did what they had to do :P
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:13:48 AM »
Or maybe they don't want any competition since you are being filmed with this small annoying cameras even in the bathroom. I love London, is my favorite city along with Buenos Aires, but the whole big brother thing is uncomfortable.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:36:12 AM »
 I imagine the terrorist handbook says do not be conspicuous probly even in bold letters.

I will use tact. I will respect people's privacy. I will not be bullied though and that's what it amounts to even here in the states.

Harassing photographers accomplishes nothing. How many terrorist have they actually found masquerading as photographers? :o

60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

kdsand

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 04:38:56 AM »
Or maybe they don't want any competition since you are being filmed with this small annoying cameras even in the bathroom. I love London, is my favorite city along with Buenos Aires, but the whole big brother thing is uncomfortable.

I'm starting to feel it's less like big brother watching & more like pervert uncle. :P

briansquibb

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:58:12 AM »

I'm starting to feel it's less like big brother watching & more like pervert uncle. :P

The incident happened in 2009 and things have very much moved on since then! I do a lot of street shooting - I wear a hi-viz and take the 400 on tripod. I often have very friendly discussions with the police - never had a problem with them.

I am planning to use the 600 for some street pictures this year :D  I find that the people I take pictures of regularly apologise for walking in front of me  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:58:12 AM »

kdsand

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:09:18 AM »

The incident happened in 2009 and things have very much moved on since then! I do a lot of street shooting - I wear a hi-viz and take the 400 on tripod. I often have very friendly discussions with the police - never had a problem with them.

I am planning to use the 600 for some street pictures this year :D  I find that the people I take pictures of regularly apologise for walking in front of me  ;)

Ah So if people are apologizing to you - does that mean you're using the I'm not looking at you I'm looking past you technique.
  Its amazing how well it works.
 :D

briansquibb

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 05:17:58 AM »

Ah So if people are apologizing to you - does that mean you're using the I'm not looking at you I'm looking past you technique.
  Its amazing how well it works.
 :D

Several techniques - mostly positioning. With the big lens they are so far away they haven't a clue where it is pointing - even if they see it. If you take candid portraits with a 50mm they are in no doubt that you are taking pictures of them. From 100 yards with a 400 they have no idea.

With a large white they assume you are a pro - so why would you be taking a picture of them?

I originally used the Cartier Bresson style of shooting but that created too many issues - with the long lens they just let me get on with it.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 05:23:27 AM »
being i uk resident for 31years i can tell you that this country has gone mad if you have a camera you are a pervert or a terrorist its total bullshit!

briansquibb

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 05:31:38 AM »
being i uk resident for 31years i can tell you that this country has gone mad if you have a camera you are a pervert or a terrorist its total bullS___!

That is hogwash fuelled by media sensationalism and hysteria. The one or two cases that happen are so much the exception that they hit the front pages.

After Easter I will go and take all the major  London tourist attractions and see if I get arrested. Watch for the headlines 'pensioner arrested for taking photo of Tower Bridge' - yep me and the 10,000 Japanese touists, wont happen!!

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 05:33:37 AM »
i think the police were right to ask her, but it did get out of hand in the end...

briansquibb

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 05:35:11 AM »
i think the police were right to ask her, but it did get out of hand in the end...

Should be fun taking pictures of Downing Street :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 05:35:11 AM »

mark_m

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 05:58:52 AM »
My first post here, and I agree with the poster who says that things have changed hugely since the incident referred to at the beginning of this thread.

I am a London based photographer, who travels through the City daily on my way from home to studio, photographing whatever catches my eye. I have had no hassle in the last couple of years, but was subject to several polite and not-so-polite questionings by police before 2010.

After that incident, and several other similar ones, the Association of Chief Police Officers have told the police that they have no right to stop people taking photos in public.
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=45956
and they have re-issued this advice to police forces several times.

This organisation of which I am a member
http://photographernotaterrorist.org/
has been campaigning for police (and security guard) recognition of photographers' rights, and has been pretty successful in doing so. There are some interesting videos on the site where photographers have gone out shooting, specifically to test the change in police awareness. They've found that, by and large, the police recognise photographers' rights to take photos in public, though security guards are less aware. When the private security guards have summoned the police, the police have backed the photographer.

One thing that one must recognise is that there is a difference between "public" and "private" land. For example, Trafalgar Square is not actually a "public" space, and the "heritage wardens" who patrol the space may take exception to people using it for "professional" shoots without prior arrangement and a licence.

But in general you have nothing to fear from taking photos of anything and anyone with any equipment you choose in a public place in the UK. NB this may not apply around the Olympic sites! We're just about to find out what all that's about....

UltraReef

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »
Great posts, a real eye opener for me.  I want to go take photos of our refineries in the area, but am hesitant cause I don't want to get hassled if I pick the wrong spot.  Things have surely changed. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »