April 19, 2014, 08:51:12 AM

Author Topic: Buying a 5DII on a whim  (Read 750 times)

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
Buying a 5DII on a whim
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:25:01 PM »
I met up with a buddy of mine this weekend who is the editor of a big muscle car magazine to cover an autocross event together. He's a very accomplished photographer and does some outstanding work. During the middle of the autocross, his 1DsII - which has seen a ton of mileage over the last 8 years - took a dump. It's nothing terminal, just the dreaded "Error 99," but something that couldn't be fixed in the field. I let him borrow one of my backup bodies to get him through the event, but he jumped on the phone ASAP to order up a replacement body for another shoot he had the following week.

Him: The guy on the phone says he has a 5D Mark II, is that what you have?

Me: No, I use 5D for statics, and a 1DII for action. I'm getting a 5DIII any day now, but it hasn't been released yet.

Him: What's the difference?

Me: Better AF, faster burst rate, cleaner high ISO files, dual card slots.

Him: Well, I hardly ever use AF, and don't need fast FPS. I really like the IQ of the images you send me with your 5D, so I'm sure the 5D Mark II will be more than enough for me.     

Me: Yeah, IQ wise the 5D Mark II is a great camera. That's what Bobby (a mutual friend and fellow photog) uses.

Him: OK, then I know for sure that I'll be happy with the 5DII's IQ.

Me: You can get them for around $2,000 right now because the 5DIII's are about to be released. The 5DIII is hard to get right now and costs $3,500.

Him: I don't want to spend that much. This is just going to be my personal camera until I can get company approval to expense on new body. I'll go with the 5DII.

I know this is an extreme example, but our conversation lasted two minutes at most. I just found it funny how people can deliberate/argue/scream/cry for months on which camera to get, mulling over specs and sample images (I'm guilty of this too!). On the other hand, I watched as a working pro reached a purchasing decision in two minutes based solely on the quality of images submitted to him from other photographers using the body he's interested in.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:28:38 PM by V8Beast »

canon rumors FORUM

Buying a 5DII on a whim
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:25:01 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a 5DII on a whim
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:39:32 PM »
I had decided on buying the 5D MK III about two years before they finally offered it up.  I ordered it the first morning, and am hoping to see it next week.  You are right though, some of us(me) procrastinate for weeks, months, or years about a purchase.  I'm still on the fence over buying a Canon 24mm L, which for me means I probably won't, if I really needed it, I would have bought it long ago.

I think the difference is between needing a new item and wanting one.  I make quick decisions when I actually need something right away.

CowGummy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »
I met up with a buddy of mine this weekend who is the editor of a big muscle car magazine to cover an autocross event together. He's a very accomplished photographer and does some outstanding work. During the middle of the autocross, his 1DsII - which has seen a ton of mileage over the last 8 years - took a dump. It's nothing terminal, just the dreaded "Error 99," but something that couldn't be fixed in the field. I let him borrow one of my backup bodies to get him through the event, but he jumped on the phone ASAP to order up a replacement body for another shoot he had the following week.

Him: The guy on the phone says he has a 5D Mark II, is that what you have?

Me: No, I use 5D for statics, and a 1DII for action. I'm getting a 5DIII any day now, but it hasn't been released yet.

Him: What's the difference?

Me: Better AF, faster burst rate, cleaner high ISO files, dual card slots.

Him: Well, I hardly ever use AF, and don't need fast FPS. I really like the IQ of the images you send me with your 5D, so I'm sure the 5D Mark II will be more than enough for me.     

Me: Yeah, IQ wise the 5D Mark II is a great camera. That's what Bobby (a mutual friend and fellow photog) uses.

Him: OK, then I know for sure that I'll be happy with the 5DII's IQ.

Me: You can get them for around $2,000 right now because the 5DIII's are about to be released. The 5DIII is hard to get right now and costs $3,500.

Him: I don't want to spend that much. This is just going to be my personal camera until I can get company approval to expense on new body. I'll go with the 5DII.

I know this is an extreme example, but our conversation lasted two minutes at most. I just found it funny how people can deliberate/argue/scream/cry for months on which camera to get, mulling over specs and sample images (I'm guilty of this too!). On the other hand, I watched as a working pro reached a purchasing decision in two minutes based solely on the quality of images submitted to him from other photographers using the body he's interested in.

... your mate sounds like a dude to me. No nonsense sort of a guy - I dig that. Like you said, he's a pro that knows how to shoot and could probably get awesome results with a rebel body. All he needs to know is 'is this camera good'? Referring to the MkII: Yes it is, and no doubt he will continue to take fantastic photographs.

You're absolutely right, people do deliberate for too long sometimes. I used to play guitar in a touring rock band and it's a similar thing with gear there: Some people will spends weeks, months even years testing out different amps to try and find the holy grail. A couple of times on tour when equipment broke, it was more often simply a case of finding the next best music store and getting an amp that could get the job done. Very little deliberating went on there.

The show must go on!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »