January 16, 2017, 03:11:21 PM

Author Topic: Scotland trip  (Read 1874 times)

Hillsilly

• 5DSR
Re: Scotland trip
« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:27:20 AM »
But at least you can cross the country in a day.

I've only visited Scotland once.  We stayed in a townhouse in Drymen for a week and went on various day trips.  The place I enjoyed visiting most was Glencoe.    We had a fun cruise on Loch Lomond.  Did some walking around Queen Elizabeth Forest Park.  Visited Sterling Castle and Loch Ness.  And drank lots of Irn Bru.  Glasgow was ok for shopping, but not overtly touristy - I don't know if I'd go there if I had limited time.  I also hear conflicting things about Edinburgh, but most older tourists enjoy going there.  We gave it a miss and focused on more outdoors related activities.
Camera Obscura

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:27:20 AM »

GammyKnee

• EOS M3
« Reply #16 on: Today at 09:54:58 AM »
Good suggestions so far. If you're up for a hillwalk you could also go up "Arthur's Seat" for an alternative view over Edinburgh:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lothian/arthurs-seat.shtml

Regarding the car, bear in mind that Edinburgh isn't car-friendly; progress can be slow and it can be very tough to find somewhere to park (at least somewhere you won't get clamped, towed and/or ticketed). It was bad when I lived there, and it's much worse now.

Best of luck for the weather - May can work out quite well.
Canon 5D2/3, 70-200 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L, EF 85 f1.8, EF 35 f2 IS, Tamron 45 f1.8, Canon & Yongnuo strobes
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmayrshire/

ethanz

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:59:33 PM »
Continued thanks for all the good ideas and information!

I've already booked a car. I'll get into Glasgow before lunch. I plan to see a few things in Glasgow then make a leisurely drive to Edinburgh. I have a hotel in Edinburgh, kind of between downtown and the airport in Edinburgh (I fly out there the next day, so I don't have to go back to Glasgow). The hotel has free parking.
If I go up near Loch Lomond, maybe go to Stirling Castle, then go through the countryside to Edinburgh, I should be out of the way of the heavy traffic? Of course it will still take a while since I'd be going the long way, but at least I'd be seeing the sights. Someone mentioned Balloch on Loch Lomond, maybe I'll head there. In Edin-bruh I'll probably walk the 'Royal Mile.'
Since I'm an American and you guys drive on the wron... opposite side of the road as us, I got the most rental car protection I could.
Holyrood Park/Arthur's Seat hill is in my plans, around sunset. Hopefully I can drive my car near there.

P.S. Great landscape pictures Paul
1DX II, 16-35 f/4, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 f/2.8 II

takesome1

• 5DSR
« Reply #18 on: Today at 01:33:56 PM »
Ethanz, you didn't mention if this is your first trip to the UK. Since your talking about cars I will give you my 2 cents, ask for one with an automatic transmission. Regardless of whether you drive a stick or not, it removes this distraction. Get a GPS from the rental company, with the UK's postal codes it is very easy to get around with one. Take the coverage that pays 100%, it is very easy to cut short when turning left and destroy a rim. My first lesson in the UK was a car I rented in downtown London and drove out of town during rush hour. It was a fun way to learn to drive on the other side, but I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart.

ethanz

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #19 on: Today at 02:10:43 PM »
First time driving in UK. I've driven in Europe before. I only know Automatic, so I paid extra for it already. I was planning on using my iPhone for GPS. London at rush hour sounds like a nightmare.
1DX II, 16-35 f/4, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 f/2.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: Today at 02:10:43 PM »