February 22, 2017, 10:16:34 PM

Author Topic: Scotland trip  (Read 3960 times)

Hillsilly

• 5DSR
Re: Scotland trip
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »
But at least you can cross the country in a day.

I've only visited Scotland once.  We stayed in a townhouse in Drymen for a week and went on various day trips.  The place I enjoyed visiting most was Glencoe.    We had a fun cruise on Loch Lomond.  Did some walking around Queen Elizabeth Forest Park.  Visited Sterling Castle and Loch Ness.  And drank lots of Irn Bru.  Glasgow was ok for shopping, but not overtly touristy - I don't know if I'd go there if I had limited time.  I also hear conflicting things about Edinburgh, but most older tourists enjoy going there.  We gave it a miss and focused on more outdoors related activities.
Camera Obscura

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »

GammyKnee

• EOS M3
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 09:54:58 AM »
Good suggestions so far. If you're up for a hillwalk you could also go up "Arthur's Seat" for an alternative view over Edinburgh:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lothian/arthurs-seat.shtml

Regarding the car, bear in mind that Edinburgh isn't car-friendly; progress can be slow and it can be very tough to find somewhere to park (at least somewhere you won't get clamped, towed and/or ticketed). It was bad when I lived there, and it's much worse now.

Best of luck for the weather - May can work out quite well.
Canon 5D2/3, 70-200 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L, EF 85 f1.8, EF 35 f2 IS, Tamron 45 f1.8, Canon & Yongnuo strobes
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmayrshire/

ethanz

• Rebel SL1
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
Continued thanks for all the good ideas and information!

I've already booked a car. I'll get into Glasgow before lunch. I plan to see a few things in Glasgow then make a leisurely drive to Edinburgh. I have a hotel in Edinburgh, kind of between downtown and the airport in Edinburgh (I fly out there the next day, so I don't have to go back to Glasgow). The hotel has free parking.
If I go up near Loch Lomond, maybe go to Stirling Castle, then go through the countryside to Edinburgh, I should be out of the way of the heavy traffic? Of course it will still take a while since I'd be going the long way, but at least I'd be seeing the sights. Someone mentioned Balloch on Loch Lomond, maybe I'll head there. In Edin-bruh I'll probably walk the 'Royal Mile.'
Since I'm an American and you guys drive on the wron... opposite side of the road as us, I got the most rental car protection I could.
Holyrood Park/Arthur's Seat hill is in my plans, around sunset. Hopefully I can drive my car near there.

P.S. Great landscape pictures Paul
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II

takesome1

• 5DSR
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 01:33:56 PM »
Ethanz, you didn't mention if this is your first trip to the UK. Since your talking about cars I will give you my 2 cents, ask for one with an automatic transmission. Regardless of whether you drive a stick or not, it removes this distraction. Get a GPS from the rental company, with the UK's postal codes it is very easy to get around with one. Take the coverage that pays 100%, it is very easy to cut short when turning left and destroy a rim. My first lesson in the UK was a car I rented in downtown London and drove out of town during rush hour. It was a fun way to learn to drive on the other side, but I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart.

ethanz

• Rebel SL1
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 02:10:43 PM »
First time driving in UK. I've driven in Europe before. I only know Automatic, so I paid extra for it already. I was planning on using my iPhone for GPS. London at rush hour sounds like a nightmare.

Mikehit

• 5DSR
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 03:18:38 PM »
Any major city  at rush hour sounds like a nightmare.

Fixt.  ;D

lion rock

• 5DSR
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
Have a nice trip there.
I have a couple of panos (handheld) of Edin-BRA.
May 2016
-r

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »

scotia

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 05:17:10 PM »
It would probably be wise to have two plans - one for wet with low cloud, meaning little scenery to see (it happens, and not infrequently) and one for fine weather.

I dislike the motorway between Edinburgh and Glasgow, even when it is working well. It is probably one of the most boring stretches of road in the whole of Scotland.  And forget averaging 60 mph on it - there are long stretches of 50 mph through Glasgow and if the roadworks are still in place long stretches of 50 mph with average speed cameras through them as well. If you want to get to Edinburgh relatively quickly it is a sensible route, but if you want to see more of Scotland your idea of a country route makes more sense.

Based on your itinerary, in fine weather one option would be to miss out Glasgow. Instead you could turn west out of Glasgow Airport, cross the Erskine Bridge (if you glance to your left as you cross there are nice views to some of the Argyll hills), and then head to Stirling via Balloch. I have never been very impressed with the place or, indeed, with Loch Lomond, but some people seem to like it. I would instead detour to Aberfoyle and along Loch Ard (it is a dead-end road, so you have to head back the same route). You can head from there to Stirling (has an interesting Castle if you want a stop, and the Wallace Monument is not far out. Parking at the Castle can be difficult, particularly around holidays). Stirling to Edinburgh is straightforward on the M9, passing the Kelpies, which are visible from the motorway. You would have to exit the motorway at Grangemouth if you want to photograph them.

Depending when in May you are in Scotland, sunset in Edinburgh is some time between about 9 pm and 9.45 pm, and sunrise is sometime between about 5.15 am and 4.30 am, so you have a lot of daylight if you are willing to minimise sleep.

scyrene

• 1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
But at least you can cross the country in a day.

I've only visited Scotland once.  We stayed in a townhouse in Drymen for a week and went on various day trips.  The place I enjoyed visiting most was Glencoe.    We had a fun cruise on Loch Lomond.  Did some walking around Queen Elizabeth Forest Park.  Visited Sterling Castle and Loch Ness.  And drank lots of Irn Bru.  Glasgow was ok for shopping, but not overtly touristy - I don't know if I'd go there if I had limited time.  I also hear conflicting things about Edinburgh, but most older tourists enjoy going there.  We gave it a miss and focused on more outdoors related activities.

Parts of Edinburgh are VERY touristy. But outside the very central part, it's fine - just a few streets from Princes St/the Royal Mile, it's just like any other city. My favourite part so far is the New Town, which has lovely architecture, plenty of shops and restaurants, etc, and down to Stockbridge and the Botanic Gardens.

Of course, if time is limited, you are maybe best going for outdoor stuff. It all depends what you're into :)

Depending when in May you are in Scotland, sunset in Edinburgh is some time between about 9 pm and 9.45 pm, and sunrise is sometime between about 5.15 am and 4.30 am, so you have a lot of daylight if you are willing to minimise sleep.

I missed the time he was visiting - good point! One thing Scotland has lots of in May is light :)
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

ethanz

• Rebel SL1
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 10:51:30 PM »
Thanks guys. As I get closer to the trip maybe I'll post the itinerary so you can see how crazy I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 10:51:30 PM »