August 22, 2014, 02:05:11 AM

Author Topic: Just called Canon... (5dm3)  (Read 5198 times)

msdarkroom

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Just called Canon... (5dm3)
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »
1-800-OK-CANON (in the US), which is 1-800-652-2666. Yeah, nice number Canon.

I followed the prompts for general information.

The lady I spoke with told me that the 5Dm3 was going to be available on the 26th. Then she said the 16th of March. Then she said the 26th again. I explained that several stores in the US already had them, and she said "that is shocking."
So, even Canon, or at least this lady at Canon, has no idea what is going on.

-MS
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:01:37 PM by msdarkroom »

canon rumors FORUM

Just called Canon... (5dm3)
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »

MARKOE PHOTOE

• EOS M2
  • Photography is a love affair with life.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
Re: Just called Canon... (5dm3)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »
Canon's website confirms their March 26th date.  I have talked to two 'local' camera shops here in the San Francisco Bay Area who have some now and are getting more today.  For me, I can wait another day or two and wait for my orders from B&H and Amazon to arrive and save me $$$ on tax.  I'm guessing they will both be here by Friday March 23rd.
A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.
"You never learn anything until you mess it up."

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »
I wouldn't expect anyone from Canon to stray from the company line of when the cameras are being released.  It is obvious the cameras are beginning to show up all over the world in what in all appearances seems to be from a west to east pattern starting in Singapore/HK and moving to the midwest US, and today starting to show up in Pittsburgh (eastern US but not the east coast as yet); and a separate pattern in England.  We have not heard from anyone else in Europe and Australia seems to have been by passed (unless I missed some from there posting that they already have the camera in their hot little hands).
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
The suspense is terrible... I hope it'll last.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:59:14 PM »
Canon's website confirms their March 26th date.  I have talked to two 'local' camera shops here in the San Francisco Bay Area who have some now and are getting more today.  For me, I can wait another day or two and wait for my orders from B&H and Amazon to arrive and save me $$$ on tax.  I'm guessing they will both be here by Friday March 23rd.

+1...same here. that would be $271.17 of saving in sale tax ($3499 x 1.0775%)

I can use that money for my future "L" lens
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »

+1...same here. that would be $271.17 of saving in sale tax ($3499 x 1.0775%)

I can use that money for my future "L" lens

Waiting on B&H as well.  0% sales tax here!

scottk

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
Just a little note to those of you talking about not having to pay sales tax. If you live in a state that has a sales tax and you are ordering from another state, you are still obligated to pay a use tax in your home state (for most states, not all) - most people can get away with breaking this law, and most private citizens do, but IF You are a pro and are planning to write this camera purchase off on your taxes, if you don't pay a use tax on it, then there's a good chance that your state tax authority WILL come after you. Audits are not fun, and if they find you didn't pay the use tax, you will be liable for not only that, but also hefty penalty and interest, probably adding up to thousands. Just keep that in mind :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »

frolic

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »

Which SF stores have them? I'm not in any hurry & placed my order with Amazon pretty much immediately after they listed it. Just curious.

Has anyone heard anything definitive from Amazon? Mine still says:

Not yet shipped.
We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item.
It will ship separately. You can cancel at any time.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »
Just a little note to those of you talking about not having to pay sales tax. If you live in a state that has a sales tax and you are ordering from another state, you are still obligated to pay a use tax in your home state (for most states, not all) - most people can get away with breaking this law, and most private citizens do, but IF You are a pro and are planning to write this camera purchase off on your taxes, if you don't pay a use tax on it, then there's a good chance that your state tax authority WILL come after you. Audits are not fun, and if they find you didn't pay the use tax, you will be liable for not only that, but also hefty penalty and interest, probably adding up to thousands. Just keep that in mind :)

I've heard of that... I write off camera gear yearly and never have had to provide proof of paying sales tax despite getting most my stuff online out of state... I guess it depends on how picky your state is and how good your tax accountant is and blind luck... =)  The only times i've been audited is where they had questions on my 1099's, but never have asked about my write offs.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

scottk

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 03:22:51 PM »
I'd say blind luck. Be careful with that, and make sure to read up on use tax law in your state and talk to your accountant. You're definitely gambling, and if you have that much unreported, if they ever do catch you, it could easilly bankrupt you. Just be careful :)

I've heard of that... I write off camera gear yearly and never have had to provide proof of paying sales tax despite getting most my stuff online out of state... I guess it depends on how picky your state is and how good your tax accountant is and blind luck... =)  The only times i've been audited is where they had questions on my 1099's, but never have asked about my write offs.

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »

No problem either way.  The state I live in has zero state sales tax. Win-win situation

scottk

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 03:27:08 PM »
Lucky you :) Most of us still have to deal with the man oppressing us and taking our money  8). I'm unlucky enough to live in NY, so we have to pay sales tax on B&H, Adorama, and Amazon.

No problem either way.  The state I live in has zero state sales tax. Win-win situation

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »
I'd say blind luck. Be careful with that, and make sure to read up on use tax law in your state and talk to your accountant. You're definitely gambling, and if you have that much unreported, if they ever do catch you, it could easilly bankrupt you. Just be careful :)

I used to shop between Adorama (east coast) and Samys (west coast).... Samys just recently started charging sales tax for out of state purchases which ended my purchasing relationship with them.  From my understanding of my states taxes, we are supposed to, on our free will, pay the taxes for internet purchases and out of state stores are supposed to tattle to the state treasury whom from my state bought goods from their stores but that doesn't work like it should in their eyes.  Plus my accountant/tax guy who prepares my taxes said the state, if audited would more likely come after him than me because he's a bigger target than me, his client.  I'm sure the date will come when my state start cracking down but until then ignorance is bliss  ;D ;D
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »

frisk

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
Lucky you :) Most of us still have to deal with the man oppressing us and taking our money  8). I'm unlucky enough to live in NY, so we have to pay sales tax on B&H, Adorama, and Amazon.

Still, at least your tax rate is reasonable - here in Europe a VAT tax rate of 25% is pretty common - meaning the 5D3 will actually cost me around $4500.

So, stop complaining ;)

scottk

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »
Best of luck then  :)

I used to shop between Adorama (east coast) and Samys (west coast).... Samys just recently started charging sales tax for out of state purchases which ended my purchasing relationship with them.  From my understanding of my states taxes, we are supposed to, on our free will, pay the taxes for internet purchases and out of state stores are supposed to tattle to the state treasury whom from my state bought goods from their stores but that doesn't work like it should in their eyes.  Plus my accountant/tax guy who prepares my taxes said the state, if audited would more likely come after him than me because he's a bigger target than me, his client.  I'm sure the date will come when my state start cracking down but until then ignorance is bliss  ;D ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »