July 29, 2014, 09:09:09 AM

Author Topic: Peace of mind for high end gear  (Read 3886 times)

jcns

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Peace of mind for high end gear
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »
renter's insurance may cover your items.  It covers ALL OF MY GEAR (camera, ski, bicycles, tv,tools) whether I am home or traveling.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 01:25:27 PM »
If you don't own a home, you can still get valuable property insurance from State Farm or other insurance company. Also try your credit card company.
This is what I did, cost me like $40-50/yr to insure all my gear (about $4500 worth). It covers me whether its stolen, broken, etc..covers everything.

I did a bunch of research on the idea before I got it insured. Most of the pro's who had their stuff covered advised not attaching it to your homeowners insurance, just in case you actually have to use it more than once. Two claims against your homeowners insurance might get your policy cancelled or adjusted...and that's an expensive situation. A separate policy won't have that issue.

But, the valuable property insurance, at least from State Farm, is only if you don't make money off your equipment. If you get paid for anything, you'd have to do a business policy, which costs way more

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »
Best ways to protect your gear:

1.) Get State Farm Personal Policy. It is like $1.49 per $100 insured. Covers theft, you dropping it, misplacement, fire, etc... Anything but mechanical failure due to age. They even cover you if you ship that item with UPS/Fedex to Canon or whatever for service, without needing to pay for more insurance through the carrier.

2.) Pay with AMEX or another card like it, so your warranty doubles. By paying with AMEX, for me, the 1-year Canon warranty turns into a 2-year warranty.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »