May 27, 2018, 04:25:03 AM

Author Topic: Weird Banding on shots....  (Read 17891 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
Re: Weird Banding on shots....
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »
How about situations like this where a flash is inappropriate?  Any other work-arounds in post-production or other camera settings (white balance, metering options) that might reduce it?OR,  Is this just a function of the higher ISO sensitivity?  I shoot in gyms like this all the time (7D/1dIV) using 1/800-1/1000,  up to ISO 3200-6400 and have never seen it.  Have I been 'lucky' that my shutter speed and the frequency of the flickering just have not been in synch, or has my camera been unable to detect it at these lower ISOs?

Slow shutter speeds are fine.

Digital Cameras love fluorescent tubes as long as they are carefully selected.  Electronic ballasts operate at extreme high frequencies compared to the fastest camera shutter speeds.

I use 12 Phillips 4 ft T8 lamps with a CRI of 98 in my studio.  They cost a couple of dollars more, and I had to order them in boxes of 25 online, but they are great.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »

K-amps

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing K-AMPS

I too will get my 5D III tomorrow...I was a bit worry reading your post, but then, others members have indicated the old gym light. I feel little better now ;)

Glad you are getting yours this soon.

The weird thing is, I was expecting a lot from it and getting it... but to me the sound of the shutter sounds so much better than my old 5dc...  ;D
EOS-80D & Pentax K1
EF Mount Rok 14mm F2.8; ∑ 24-105mm F4 A; 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; 100-400mm L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; 100mm L F/2.8
Pentax D-FA 15-30 F2.8 & 28-105mm

triggermike

• EOS M5
  • Canon Shooter
    • mike fossler photography
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Digital Cameras love fluorescent tubes as long as they are carefully selected.

Unfortunately, in those gymnasiums where fluorescent lighting is used, the maintenance people change out the burned out lamps with whatever they buy/get a deal on. In almost every instance, the color temperature of each lamp will vary from fixture to fixture (you can see this with the naked eye while sitting in the stands!) So you get a mixed color temp that cannot be isolated by the camera's WB setting.

Otherwise I tottaly agree - in a controlled studio setting fluorescent is becoming a poular way to illuminate and white balance can be dialed in directly and perfectly. (Westcott Spiders eg.)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 01:24:55 PM »
Whats happening to my shiny new 5d3?

Burst shot at 1/1000th sec, F/2.8 @ 70mm 12,800 ISO (was set to Auto)

I was at a local Church shooting some guys playing badminton at high ISO (12,800) and I saw some yellow banding across the shots. First I was not sure if it was random lighting issues or what, then I started to take burst shots, and the banding appeared moving across each frame... What the heck is it?

EDIT: Issue exists behind the Camera it seems.  :-[

Probably cycling of crappy light in the gym.
I'm sure your cam is fine!  :)

WoodysGamertag

Re: 5d3 Camera issue already?
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
Seriously, stop trying to be a sensationist! It's because of the fluorescent lighting, every camera will do this at those shutter speeds. Fault of lighting, not camera... the lights cycle, have people making claims like this ever used a camera before?
I know something that somebody else didn't know.  Quick, get on the internet and be the biggest jerk I can possibly be about it!!!

Damn, the guy just wanted to know why it happened. Feeling a little sensitive?

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
Digital Cameras love fluorescent tubes as long as they are carefully selected.

Unfortunately, in those gymnasiums where fluorescent lighting is used, the maintenance people change out the burned out lamps with whatever they buy/get a deal on. In almost every instance, the color temperature of each lamp will vary from fixture to fixture (you can see this with the naked eye while sitting in the stands!) So you get a mixed color temp that cannot be isolated by the camera's WB setting.

Otherwise I tottaly agree - in a controlled studio setting fluorescent is becoming a poular way to illuminate and white balance can be dialed in directly and perfectly. (Westcott Spiders eg.)

True,  but electronic ballasts will cure the rainbow effect he is seeing.  Warm fluorescents are harder to color correct as well, but mixed light is a nightmare.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »