September 22, 2014, 12:30:16 AM

Author Topic: Disappointed and goodbye  (Read 8929 times)

Pyrenees

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed and goodbye
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 12:38:02 AM »

As a CR Addict, I'm sorry that you feel that way. To be honest, I'm not exactly shocked to learn of people wanting to stop visiting.

It's a cross-section of the World, really. For all the nice, helpful  people out there, there are also a lot of nasty, vindictive, sniping individuals - many of whom have hidden agendas, and who demonstrate very little insight and empathy towards others.

Just sayin'

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 12:38:02 AM »

Tabor Warren Photography

• EOS M2
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 01:02:57 AM »
Its the internets - don't take negative comments seriously.  They are just people being jerks hiding behind their computers.

Come back, the majority of people are nice and informative.

Keith is right, and I wonder where all the negativity has gone since you created this post. I don't even know you but you seem like the type who should stick around. There are SO MANY knowledgeable people on this forum but there will always be bad apples. I won't dog on your posts so there's one fewer you'll need to worry about.

-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x3, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2 & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

Larry

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 01:07:38 AM »
Joined CR a short time ago. I certainly don't mind disagreement, but I quickly tired of the abusive and caustic replies to my few well-intentioned posts. I guess some folks just enjoy flat-out negative criticism. Not whining, just a fact. Better things to do. Good luck and goodbye.

Hi NiceShot,

FWIW, here's a positive observation:

This thread is itself an example of the relative hospitality of the website. I have seen many "Goodbye" posts over time on a number of sites, ...and there are often far fewer understanding, sympathetic responses, and usually quite a few "Who cares!" taunts by the uglies.

Either the jerk-ratio is pretty low here, or the moderators are doing a very good job at a difficult task.

I would invite you, as others have done, to reconsider,  with the thought that in this "club" with such a really great number of members, the friendly greetings as you enter and the camaraderie-at-large  really are worth putting up with (ignoring) the inevitable few social inepts.

Maybe you could consider them as miniscule "hot pixels" on the LCD, which either don't show in the captured image, or
are easy to fix in post processing.

I.e., in spite of their fondest wishes, they are NOT a big deal. ;-)

Stick around and add to the good-guy team!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:10:18 AM by Larry »

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 01:39:46 AM »
Well if it makes you feel better I can confirm that the censorship (euphemised as "moderation") activity on this site is actually well into the severe side of the scale. And I say this as someone who has not only participated in but run sites orders of magnitude larger than this.

Running a site like this, you are a beggar for content every single day. Any post that:

1) is provocative (whether snarky, oir challenging, or just exasperating)
2) is on topic (and not an ad-hominem...who cares about the personalities of the miserable users)
3) is _arguably_ true (subjective, objective, or otherwise)

...you not only NEVER censor, you put it on the FRONT PAGE!

It is a serious challenge to recruit competent moderators...it's a thankless and miserable chore. Very often this is the first power they have held over other people and they become enamored and over-enthusiastic about it. They fail to understand that a dialectical argument is the lifeblood of online fora...one absolutely needs the wrong to elicit the right, the noise to make the signal feel safe and wanted. Generally the proprietor of a successful site at least understands this much though, which is why I recommend a counter-signed moderation system, where anything censored must be confirmed by the site proprietor within a given window.

As for karma, negative karma is an awful precscription, an allowance for drive-by negativity that invites retaliation against the non-perpetrator. Flagging a post for moderation is as far as an ordinary (or even "trusted") user should be allowed to engage; too often the role users embrace is that of voluntary stormtrooper, scaring off your budding talent. Positive karma only; and if your programmers haven't cottoned onto this yet, slap them.

The calls for the precious "civility" should be interpreted as yearnings for provocative content; those users will want to slap down things they find too provocative, resulting in beaucoup pageviews and continuous refreshes. Ganbatte!

shtfmeister

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 01:52:48 AM »
I would smite those who caused all the trouble but...
but wait if you looked at there smite count you could ignore them ... never mind

jhanken

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 02:00:42 AM »
Stick around, bro!  The world (and this Canon-related site) needs cool heads with thoughtful input.  I share your concern, but I have learned sooooooo much, even from the snarky types.  It is worth it on balance.
5DIII, 60D, 24-105mm f/4 L, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4A, Jupiter-9 85mm f/2

underjammer

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 02:42:50 AM »
Looking at your posts, I only saw the first one when you posted.  I never saw any of the others until just now, but they seem just fine and helpful..  Not sure what peoples' problems were.  Don't let it get to you!  These forums are pretty nice compared to many.

As for your first post, though..  Well..  Seriously, I though it was a troll.  A funny one, at least.  : D  But right.. I read it, laughed, then moved on, thinking it was just part of the ridiculous amount of ridiculousness that the 5D mkIII brought along.  Maybe everyone did..  and that's why it has no responses?  Being your first post, and asking "is the converter any good?" about the official Canon FD to EOS adapter..  that's just really funny (and has troll written all over it, especially with the increased traffic, etc).  That converter costs $1000.  That's probably why there's not much info about it.  And it's a good possibility that no one here has one.  Maybe Ontarian/EdMika has experience with it?  I'll go post more into that particular thread.  Yay for bringing old threads back from the dead!  : D

Clearly since you tried to participate afterward, and be nothing but helpful, I guess it wasn't a troll after all, haha.  It still gave me a good laugh as one, though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 02:42:50 AM »

shizam1

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 01:32:46 PM »
Joined CR a short time ago. I certainly don't mind disagreement, but I quickly tired of the abusive and caustic replies to my few well-intentioned posts. I guess some folks just enjoy flat-out negative criticism. Not whining, just a fact. Better things to do. Good luck and goodbye.

Yep, I feel the same.  I've got better things to do then defend posts I made to people who don't even have the equipment being discussed.  I found another board where people actually seem interested in being helpful and if you post a potential problem you notice with a product you aren't immediately attacked.

briansquibb

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »

Yep, I feel the same.  I've got better things to do then defend posts I made to people who don't even have the equipment being discussed.  I found another board where people actually seem interested in being helpful and if you post a potential problem you notice with a product you aren't immediately attacked.

I agree, people without kit/experience disagreeing with those with experience and kit is counterproductive as it muddies the waters for those trying to do research

nesarajah

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »
I have a feeling its got to do with the username . somehow on first glance it kind of appears arrogant. IMHO.

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
So sorry mate. I hope you come back.
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »
I don't know the OP or what you've written before, but I'm sorry you're leaving. Good luck finding a widely-read public forum where everyone is always courteous and debates never degenerate into heated arguments. This is the internet. It's an impersonal "140 characters or less" world. A hard hat and a few pinches of salt are required.

I've found CR to be a fun place to hang out and there are plenty of nice, knowledgeable, helpful people.

You don't have to leave town just because it's not Pleasantville.

Kahuna

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 04:52:16 PM »

Steve, I agree with all you have said and have the same feelings lately.  What keeps me from leaving is that there are far more EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT and helpful people here at CR.  Hope you reconsider or come back soon. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 04:52:16 PM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »
It's good to be here - a lot o knowledge and helpful people. Trolls of course as well but no reason to leave.
Even if kicked away i'd be looking for knowledge and opinions as well. :)
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

mjbehnke

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »
I have to agree with Kahuna! I've learned more on this site than you can imagine. I don't post much, but I do read these forums almost everyday!  I think you'll find out that most trolls are just that.... trolls.

Stick around... This really is a great site!
Gripped Canon 60D \ EF-S 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM \ EF 70-200 F4L IS USM \ 430ex II Speedlite \ Love for photography.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »