September 18, 2014, 07:47:50 PM

Author Topic: Best music/concert photography lenses?  (Read 12931 times)

scottsdaleriots

Re: Best music/concert photography lenses?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 07:25:50 AM »
85 will give head and shoulders shots, 35 is not wide enough for the band  (and will you see the member at the back if the stage is above you??)

DOF is a key issue here if the light is poor - will the 85 focus fast and accurately enough for you to shoot a moving person at f/1.2?
I would like head+shoulder shots but also full body shots. Maybe not use the 35mm to get the whole band. But maybe just the singer/guitarist, etc and some of the background that's on the right & left of them? If that makes much sense..? I'm not sure how maybe light there will be, but I could always stop down I guess but would like a bit of shallow DOF.

Kinda hard to explain coz the stage can be well light up but then it would go pitch black for a second or two during a specific song. I've never tried to photograph a concert before so I don't know what kind of lenses and other equipment I need.

2 bodies 35mm on one 85mm on the other problem solved
you are really going to want to get some nice tight crops and even the 85 on a APS-C is going to struggle for reach
depends on how much access you have.

the 135 f2 might even be a good long option, but i would say with the crop body start with 85 and 35
I've sorta thought about buying a 2nd body like a 50d or 60d but I know I'll be moving to FF in the future so there's no point in having 2 crop bodies I think. But I am open to renting something like the 5dmkiii.

I've never shot a concert before so I wouldn't know if I'd be allowed access to the pit area where the security guys are. But TBH if Im not granted access I wouldnt even take my 7d and whatever lens I would use to be squished in the raging crowd. I would be too scared something would happen to my gear or someone stealing it. I'd just use a P&S.

I notice you both didn't mention the 50mm, lol.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 07:25:50 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 07:31:15 AM »

I notice you both didn't mention the 50mm, lol.

It is neither one thing or another

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 11:06:23 PM »
What about the 35mm 1.4 L? it's fast and seems to be pretty sharp and has good colour rendition. but it's not weather sealed and the the perspective thing that you mentioned worries me since i'll be using it to do concert photography

nickbj05

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 08:08:13 PM »
I've shot my friend's band with my 5D and a 135mm f/2 which worked really well. I found that 50mm worked great for covering the full band. For the same results on your camera, you would go with a 35mm and 85mm. I have not used the 35mm 1.4, but it is a lens I would like to try. I've heard great things about it. I have used the 35mm F/2 and the focal length is nice, but I didn't like the autofocus motor in it. The 1.4 has a lot better focus and optics so it should be nice.

scottb

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »

For many years I did almost nothing but band photography and the canon 24mm f/2.8 was on my camera almost all of the time. I loved the wide angle aspect of it but I also took photos at many small venues or places where I could just climb on stage and not get harassed (it's amazing where you can go in a venue if you are carrying a camera, nobody questions you) I did have to use a flash, however (I had a bounce velcroed to it) and often did a lot of rear curtain sync.

I just recently got the 35mm f/1.4 and I love it so far but haven't had the chance to use it to take pictures of bands.

Here are some examples of stuff I took with the 24mm f/2.8. Note, these are scans of b/w prints (ilford hp5 400) that I printed themyself, so I'm not sure how well this lens translates to digital (haven't used it yet on my 5dm3 as I've been too busy with the 35)

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »

For many years I did almost nothing but band photography and the canon 24mm f/2.8 was on my camera almost all of the time. I loved the wide angle aspect of it but I also took photos at many small venues or places where I could just climb on stage and not get harassed (it's amazing where you can go in a venue if you are carrying a camera, nobody questions you) I did have to use a flash, however (I had a bounce velcroed to it) and often did a lot of rear curtain sync.

I just recently got the 35mm f/1.4 and I love it so far but haven't had the chance to use it to take pictures of bands.

Here are some examples of stuff I took with the 24mm f/2.8. Note, these are scans of b/w prints (ilford hp5 400) that I printed themyself, so I'm not sure how well this lens translates to digital (haven't used it yet on my 5dm3 as I've been too busy with the 35)

Nice work!

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »
I've shot two entire concerts with the kit in my signature. 90% of the time I used the 70-200mm on the 7D (borrwed a T2i for the 24-70 but didn't use it that much). The 70-200 is a great one for concerts I think. The f2.8 is crucial and the AF is lightning fast.

Here are some pics. One is actually a 10-22mm that I rented. I forgot about that.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:56:48 PM by EYEONE »
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »