October 22, 2014, 05:02:24 AM

Author Topic: Humidity  (Read 5248 times)

Mike Miami

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Humidity
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:27:26 AM »
Just looking at the 5D Mark III specs and read that the

"Working Humidity Range
85% or less"

Is this a normal range for DSLR's?

I live in South Florida and during the summer the humidity can exceded 85%.  Might there be problems?

canon rumors FORUM

Humidity
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:27:26 AM »

publiux

Re: Humidity
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »

"Working Humidity Range
85% or less"

Is this a normal range for DSLR's?

I live in South Florida and during the summer the humidity can exceded 85%.  Might there be problems?

I was concerned about that as well when I purchased my T3i. Like you, I like in South Florida and walking outside in the summer is like walking through a pool. The T3i has the same 85% humidity restriction, but I've never had my camera stop functioning even when the humidity exceeded 85%. I imagine it will be the same with the 5D3, but there are never any guarantees.

Now, if Amazon would ship my 5D3.....

Mike Miami

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »

Now, if Amazon would ship my 5D3.....

Lol!!!!     Waiting for mine too from PhotoCraft!

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »
That's typical for canon cameras in the past, I cannot speak for Nikons or sonys etc... I've shot warehouse photos for a company in chicago during a 99% humidity day in the summer where temps reached 90+ outside, so inside the warehouses it was hotter...  My 30d would only work for about an hour at a time then it would shut off... The warehouses had an A/C office inside and I had 2 cameras so I would have one in the office while shooting, while using the other... when it would stop functioning, I would go back to the office, swap cameras, let the non functioning camera cool down/dry out and by the time my 2nd camera stopped, the 1st would be ready to go again for an hour... It was a pain but it had to be done.  Now recently, not to hijack this thread, but I now have a 7D and 5d3 on the way... my 7D i bought about a month after it was released... I shot that puppy in snow storms, rain, etc.. it's been a workhorse... but just recently during 2 paid shoots in the outdoors, no rain/snow, but bitter cold, my 7D would freeze up... numbers on the top LCD remained but camera non functional... I had to remove the battery, reinstall and it would start working again for a short time.  I'm not sure if the weathersealing is finally drying out/wearing and needs to be replaced but it never has given me problems in the past when shooting... Any ideas?  I plan on using the 7d in reserved backup role when my new 5d3 comes in but curious if anyone else experienced similar things with their 7D's. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

jcns

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
It'll work fine.  Just don't expect it to last years and years without rusting or corrosion or oxidation.
Whenever you bring your camera outside (in extremely humid places- not limited to FL), put it in a dry bag/sack.  Let the body acclimate to the temperature and pull it out of the bag.  This will minimize condensation on the lens and inside/outside of the body.  Repeat process when bringing indoors as well. 
With precautions, you should see years of good use before the salt and humidity gets to it.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
Whenever you bring your camera outside (in extremely humid places- not limited to FL), put it in a dry bag/sack.  Let the body acclimate to the temperature and pull it out of the bag.  This will minimize condensation on the lens and inside/outside of the body. 

Great advice. I've had to learn this the hard way.

IMHO, the 85% humidity rating is conservative. I've shot many, many  times in 90% or more humidity in the vicious Houston heat without any problems with my 20D and 5DC, both of which have no weather sealing.

publiux

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »
It'll work fine.  Just don't expect it to last years and years without rusting or corrosion or oxidation.
Whenever you bring your camera outside (in extremely humid places- not limited to FL), put it in a dry bag/sack.  Let the body acclimate to the temperature and pull it out of the bag.  This will minimize condensation on the lens and inside/outside of the body.  Repeat process when bringing indoors as well. 
With precautions, you should see years of good use before the salt and humidity gets to it.

A good practice in South Florida is put put both the camera and all your lenses into these bags.  I normally use Ziplock bags for all of my gear, and I keep the gear in the bags even when in my home.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »

Maxis Gamez

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Bird Photography
    • View Profile
    • Bird Photography in Florida
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »
I also live here in Florida. Have you seen the weather sealing on the new 5D MKIII? it's superb!! If you haven't had any problems with a 5D MKII (I haven't) you should not have any problems.

Trust me, I put my 5D MKII, 7D, Canon 800mm L lens and tripod on my kayak when I photograph birds and I haven't had any problems at all.

You should be fine!

www.gvisions.org - Bird Photography

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »
And don't forget your desiccant, aka silica gel.  Keep it in any bag you store your camera and lenses in.

prestonpalmer

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »
You won't have a problem...

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 05:39:05 AM »
The worse thing that can happen if you live in a high humidity area, is that over time, fungus and mildew can start growing inside your camera and lenses, and once this starts, it 's almost impossible to stop and it can ruin a perfectly good lens or camera.
You'll notice it as a fine, almost spider web on the inside of your lenses.

If you live in high humidity areas, it is quite worthwhile to either keep your stuff stored in an airconditioned room, or buy a de-humidifying cabinet to keep your gear in.

We have similar problems in various areas of Australia, and a lot of serious photographers have a de-humidity cabinet at home.

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »
Just a reminder- makes sure to see if your lens need a filter to maintain the weather sealing.

gecko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 10:24:31 AM »
If you live in high humidity areas, it is quite worthwhile to either keep your stuff stored in an airconditioned room, or buy a de-humidifying cabinet to keep your gear in.

We have similar problems in various areas of Australia, and a lot of serious photographers have a de-humidity cabinet at home.
+1

And remember, if you keep it in a/c, bring it out in a sealed container and wait till it's warmed up before you open it.
EOS 3, 7D, 5DII, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100-400 f4-5.6L,  TS-E 24 f3.5 II, Zeiss 21.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 10:24:31 AM »

mirekti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
I don't really understand these gels, bags. I mean, if one put them in the bag that is not airtight and it's humid outside of the bag, silica bag will collect as much humidity it can and than you end up in a humid environment again, right?

For me it only makes sense to use it in airtight boxes or zipped bags, correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:48:54 AM by mirekti »
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

Cannon Man

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 02:12:56 AM »
Whenever you bring your camera outside (in extremely humid places- not limited to FL), put it in a dry bag/sack.  Let the body acclimate to the temperature and pull it out of the bag.  This will minimize condensation on the lens and inside/outside of the body. 

Great advice. I've had to learn this the hard way.

IMHO, the 85% humidity rating is conservative. I've shot many, many  times in 90% or more humidity in the vicious Houston heat without any problems with my 20D and 5DC, both of which have no weather sealing.

What the heck is a 5DC camera??? To my knowledge there is only a 5D, 5D Mark II and a 5D Mark III.
People seem to mention it all the time. Are we making up imaginary cameras now?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 02:12:56 AM »