November 27, 2014, 07:09:20 AM

Author Topic: DXO Optics Hands on Review  (Read 5427 times)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
DXO Optics Hands on Review
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:25:17 PM »
I was curious to see if the 5DM3 had the sensor tested in the lab by DXo, they haven't posted the sensor tests yet but they have had a chance to pick it apart. Here is their online review.
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-5D-Mark-III-Review/Hands-on-Review
Here is what I was looking for
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings/(metrics)/
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

DXO Optics Hands on Review
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:25:17 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

MazV-L

Re: DXO Optics Hands on Review
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 03:07:47 AM »
Speaking of the autofocus they say:"Unlike the 1DX, however, it loses the coupling of color measurement to exposure."
I'd like to know, in what situations would this be a problem? Thanks.

Seamus

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:02:03 AM »
Good stuff, thanks Bosman!

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:48:47 AM »
Speaking of the autofocus they say:"Unlike the 1DX, however, it loses the coupling of color measurement to exposure."

5D Mark III simply doesn't have color-aware exposure metering. This feature is only available in 1D X.
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 04:51:12 AM »

5D Mark III simply doesn't have color-aware exposure metering. This feature is only available in 1D X.

And that has everything to do with tracking a subject. But Canon have also stated that the 5d3 is better at tracking than the mk4.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »

And that has everything to do with tracking a subject. But Canon have also stated that the 5d3 is better at tracking than the mk4.

Yeah, Canon's going to say "hey that new camera has worse AF than the old one even tho the AF system is 1 generation newer".

Treat everything released from Canon press as BS.
Really? The precision focus points on this new system is leaps and bounds beyond the mark 4s focus point system. This is the 1dx system just without the extra level of color metering. If you spec it you dont need Chuck Westfall to make the statement, it speaks for itself. Hearing it from him just confirms what i already thought.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »

MazV-L

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 03:34:33 AM »

Thanks for answering my question Viggo :)
So how I understand it, this would be a necessary feature for a Sport's photographer but not a great loss if you're not?

briansquibb

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 04:03:59 AM »

So how I understand it, this would be a necessary feature for a Sport's photographer but not a great loss if you're not?

Would you be using a 5DIII if you were a sports photographer? rather than just shooting sports

MazV-L

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 04:37:05 AM »

Would you be using a 5DIII if you were a sports photographer? rather than just shooting sports
Well that's sort of what I'm trying to say, the sport's photographer would use a 1 series body so is the lack of the "coupling of colour-measurement  to exposure "is not really a loss for the average 5Diii user if it's just helpful in tracking a subject.
So far I get by with a 5D and 50D (even photographing active children), but I've never even attempted sports photography. I'm sure that I'll notice a huge improvement when I get the 5Diii. I'm not going to be worried that the AF metering is not as good as in the 1DX.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »

[/quote]
Actually my 1dm3 is for sale right now. I have a wedding business and a sports business. I'll have to get the shutter replaced ever 1-1.5 yrs but that doesn't bother me. My resoning is this. The shutter lag is awesome on the 5d mark 3 so its not loosing much. The focus system rocks so not loosing much. All i am loosing is 4 fps and a tank like camera. I love the camera and bought it when it just came out in 2007 but the color accuracy and the exposure capabilities will be far beyond the 1d and my older 5d. I want accuracy and similarity of files so when i shoot weddings i'm not shooting "the other camera". If i had the dough id get the 1dx and make the 5dm3 the other camera but i like my options as they are now.

briansquibb

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »
If i had the dough id get the 1dx and make the 5dm3 the other camera but i like my options as they are now.

I notice the difference between the 16mps of the 1D4 and the 21mps of the 1Ds3 because of the printing - the 1d4 is not quite A3 which is my standard size, whereas the 1Ds3 is still native.

I wonder if that would be the case with the 18mps 1DX and the 22mps of the 5DIII

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 02:27:19 PM »
Thanks for posting Bosman.  Very useful.  I was wondering when they would do something for the 5DmkIII,

Despite all the fuss on the INternet right being that all the new Nikon sensor are amazing and that Canon will be left behind, well I finally said enought and picked up the mkIII at my local dealer this afternoon.  I loved the mkII, I love my lenses, and I hate the feel and ergonomics of the Nikon camera....so I know I will continue to take great picture with the 5DmkIII!  I had enought with these stats that sometime dont mean much!

:P!  Now back to shooting pictures!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 02:27:19 PM »

DynaMike

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »

Sports photographers have been around for decades using systems without color aware exposure metering, and getting sharp images.  Think it's safe to say that it's not a necessity.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »

Honestly, I don't think it's necessary even for a sports photographer. I think you need to have it set for all points or at least large zone AF. It might even do worse at times for sports for all we know. I could be wrong, but I don't see it as a huge loss for the 5D3.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »