July 26, 2014, 09:48:42 AM

Author Topic: Need help to choose! mark 2 or mark 3?  (Read 3183 times)

newxmatrix

Need help to choose! mark 2 or mark 3?
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:14:47 PM »
Hi
Please help me to choose a camera!  I love to do some short film!  i am not a photographer but i do sometime take pictures, but mainly i use it for video!

my options are mark 2 or mark 3?

Some Facts:

Yes i can afford to buy mark 3 but dont want to spend that much money!
I can buy mark 2 without hurting my feeling!
Is mark 3 better than mark 2?  it is a must to have?

Please help??

Many thanks!!!

i can afford mark 3 but i dont want to spend that much of money!
I can afford mark 2

canon rumors FORUM

Need help to choose! mark 2 or mark 3?
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:14:47 PM »

helpful

• EOS M2
  • Ecclesiastes 3:11
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to choose! mark 2 or mark 3?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:35:50 PM »
newxmartrix,

The biggest failing of the Canon 5D Mark Two is its autofocus system. This alone is worth waiting all this time for me. I have owned the 5D Mark Two and it is more trouble than it is worth in comparison to the 5D Mark Three, even if the 5D3 is twice the price.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D x5, 6D, T2i, T3, 1D X, 10-22mm, 16-35mm II, 18-55mm II, 18-135mm IS x2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm 1/1.8 II x2, 85mm f/1.8 x2, 100mm f/2 x2, 135mm f/2L x2, 200mm f/2.8L II x2, 1.4X III, 2.0X II, 60mm f/2.8 Macro, etc. only had room to list a few Canon items

Unboundclassic85

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 11:41:37 PM »
I would say if you are going with strait photography you can get by well with the 5D Mark II which has very excellent image quality (Though the 5D III is better).

If you are going with one of these cameras for video though the 5D III is the way to go and is worth the extra money.  It has reduced moire and rolling shutter compared to the Mark II and it can do the 60fps 720p recording mode. 

blackwind

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »
Another thing you should taken into consideration.

5D Mark II you can just walkin a shop and buy one...

5D Mark III is still on pre-order... and not sure which country or state ur from?

But in Australia i have call pretty much every stores in my state, no stock at all (pre-order will take 3 weeks to 6 weeks). And people willing to pay as much as 3899to 4299 (where i pre-order mine at 3599 but not sure how many ppl infront of me)

Cheers

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 12:14:16 AM »
If you want to do video, are you aware that the cost of the body is small compared to the accessories you will need to make a professional quality video.

some accessories you will want:

High Quality Video Tripod Head
High Quality Tripod legs
External microphone
External Audio Recorder
Lighting
External Monitor
Focus puller
Video Editing software
High End computer and video card
Clapper board or audio synching software
Lenses, of course

Its incredibly easy to spend North of $20,000 for this, its difficult to spend less.

The cost of the accessories can easily be 10 times the cost of the body, but some are resourceful and get by with much less, if you are inventive and know what you need, you can get the job done on a shoestring.  Many years ago, Ed Wood made movies on a shoestring budget.  His movies were very bad, but he has a cult following, and, in a way, I admire what he did with so little money.

You might want to look at a semi pro camcorder that has many of the functions you will want built-in, and at a lower cost. That will let you purchase good editing software and video card.

It would be a good way to start producing reasonable quality video and there will be enough frustration with the script, directing, editing, lighting, and talent.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 01:53:55 AM »
I've always taken the viewpoint that it is best to have the most recent model of just about anything...cars, cameras, computers... It's a position I've rarely if ever regretted, even if it has meant digging a little deeper than I'd originally budgeted for.

There are very real advantages with the Mk3 vs the now quite ancient Mk2, especially if you plan to primarily shoot video. This is all well documented.

Have you visited Planet 5D? http://blog.planet5d.com/ Lots of relevant info for you there.

Paul Wright

prestonpalmer

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:52:06 AM »
If you can afford the 5DIII, get the 5DIII!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:52:06 AM »

GND

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 03:31:48 AM »
I love to do some short film! 
i am not a photographer
can afford mark 3 but i dont want to spend that much of money!
I can afford mark 2

Both these cameras are for serious shooting.

Check the video performance for yourself first, see where your needs are:
5D MkII: http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/5dmark2/index.html
5D MkIII coming soon: http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/5dmark3/index.html
More samples at youtube and previous recent threads here.

The MkII rocked the industry with its video capability, pros are shooting with it.
The MkIII is an improvement with even better image quality and extended ISO range (night video better).
Price for a new MkII now is a steal.
If your needs are covered by the MkII save some hard earned cash.
PS: The body price difference could be traded for a better lens.

Jettatore

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 05:22:58 AM »
I would keep my eye out for a Used/Refurb Mark II and if the price is right get that over the III.  This way, if you decide to upgrade in the next 3-6 months to the Mark III (after you've gotten your feet wet) then you can re-sell the used MKII for not much of a loss compared to what you bought it for.  If you buy a new MK II now and then sell it used in 3-6 months you will likely take a hit.

From your (commendably good) attitude about accepting a MKII over MKIII (something most humans can't fathom these days (myself often included)), I would definately go MKII used if the price is sweet (and you should see more and more of those showing up over the next few months), get all the other stuff you need for your kit and then when you get a gig lined up, rent the MKIII for the weekend of the shoot because you are almost always going to need at least 2 cameras for any serious work and you'll get to take advantage of all it's upgraded features for the days when it really counts.

You will save a lot up front this way, and probably in total because by the time you buy a MKIII you will probably be able to find a coupon or kit sale or something.  You will lose nothing of major value while you are learning and getting the feel for it, most if not all of your video kit will be compatible between both the MKII and the MKIII, and you can make the switch to the MKIII at any point, likely for no $$ loss.  Just don't get screwed on the price or quality of the used MKII and you are good to go, because that is where this plan could fail, if you buy a MKII for too much.  If you have some time, I'd keep my eye on ebay and the gear forums for the next 1-2 months and track it's movement, otherwise expect to lose at least a hundred bucks or so as my bet is it drops slightly over the next month or so.  Good luck.

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 05:43:31 AM »

I just bought a new 5D2 for £1,338. The 5D3 is £3,000. I know the 5D3 is better, but is it more than twice the camera that the 5D2 is? I doubt it.

I used mine all day yesterday and it blows me away. Even after the sun went down I kept shooting, I just cranked it up to 2500 ISO. The image quality is stunning and I can't say AF gave me a hard time at all.

Buy what you need, not what you can afford.

That is, unless it's a toy for you and money isn't a problem. In which case, knock yourself out and go for the 5D3. I would!
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 08:24:45 AM »
Don't buy a new Mark II for sure but i'd get the mark III.

If you buy the Mark III, in 3 years your camera will still be worth around $3000 so you would only stand to loose about $500 in lost value based on previous cameras and easy to sell.
If you buy a new Mark II, in 3 years your camera will be worth around $1000 at best ($1000 in lost value) and difficult to sell. Buying a mark II used will limit those losses though and you should never pay a new camera price for an old technology because you will loose alot of value over time.

I find that cameras like these loose more value in the 2nd 3 years of their life than the 1st 3 years. Most people don't consider resale value and how easy it will be to find a buyer when they purchase this equipment.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 10:03:49 AM »
I have the original 5d mark I, while loving it, i also hate it. I like to compose using the focus point needed but shooting a reception in dim light or even normal light i just dont trust the outer focus points to work. Although the mark II version was an incredible leap in sensor tech i never wanted one since this frustration with focus would not have been alleviated. The mark 3 not only solves the prob but makes it sports worthy now, That is simply beyond my expectations because I have been forced to use the 5d as a backup to shoot a sports event and was not happy with the focus and tracking but then its a landscape camera. I figured a focus system from the 7d not a 1d focus system. The build, dual cards, waterproofing, low light shooting, the many new buttons allowing most operations to be a click away rather than going thru menus with multiple clicks, and many new features from a software perspective are too good to say no to. I am actually staying put at home waiting for the fedex guy to deliver it today. :)
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
If you are not sure on which to get and have limited funds, get the 5DII. (Better yet a used one in great condition). If you use center point AF, you will be fine. But if you end up hating th AF (assuming you want to use other points) then sell it and get a 5d3... and sometime in the future, the price drop in 5d3 will offset the loss in sale value of the 5d2 to some extent...

I'd get the 5d3 only if you are sure you want what it offers... because the price diff b/w a refurbed 5d2 from Canon and new 5d3 is over 100%.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »

newxmatrix

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
Omg!!! Thank you so much. Soooo much!!! 

You guy are the best!! These help me so much to make my decision!

I live in USA  and i love video effect.  I have full adobe master cs 5.5 and have a ton of plus-in so for the software part, I am very sure I am good.  Also i know there will be no stock for mark 3 for awhile but I can wait
Things I am worried now is to pick a good lens and need to pick the right glidecam. Not sure about lightning , I may just use outside light haha !!
I think mark 3 is way to go. Thank you for helping me!!!

I will apply for a credit card that will help me low down 500 on mark 3

Please suggest which Len and glidecam should I pick up?  Thank from bottom of my heart!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »