June 21, 2018, 10:55:50 AM

Author Topic: Defective 5D MK III.....  (Read 35809 times)

Autocall

Re: Defective 5D MK III.....
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »
are you aware that you should first press the shutter button halfway before pushing it down completely?
jpeg samples, png savings,
come on...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 04:58:54 PM »
The issue is that every image taken with the camera, no matter what ISO, F stop, RAW, JPEG, etc. is coming out very milky/blotchy, almost like the camera is applying heavy NR to every image.

The camera doesn't apply NR to RAW images. Only DPP does that.

prestonpalmer

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 05:00:33 PM »
Please post several uncropped Raw with all the shooting details (settings and lens) so we can help you. You sound worried but if it is defective you will get a new one.

This is the only way to know.  Also, be sure test shots are taken with a tripod.  Use CENTER focus on a specific point in the photo as a reference.

CowGummy

• EOS M5
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 05:05:58 PM »
are you aware that you should first press the shutter button halfway before pushing it down completely?
come on...

Have you had a look at his portfolio site? I'm pretty sure he's capable of operating that camera. And if he's been able to do side by side comparisons with another Mk3 body he probably knows what he's looking out for.
And that crop of the car does look pretty soft and blotchy to me. Although one thing that strikes me when looking at the small preview image of the whole shot is the hdr-esque sky in the background? Was that shot an in camera hdr??
5DmkIV   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  100L f2.8 IS Macro  |  430exII

justsomedude

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • 5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Based on the screen captures you posted, your LR workflow indicates your working off of JPEGs. 

Are these JPEGs off the camera?  If so - have you checked your image settings?  Better yet, why not just shoot RAW to avoid Canon's in-camera processing?
AKPHOTO • Denver Photographer

Seamus

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 05:31:32 PM »
Interesting points, let's wait and see the results with the new mark iii. I'm hoping that there will be no more issues. Good luck SF!

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »
It reminds me of the samples Canon have released of both the 1d X and the 5d3, I think DPP is doing something wacky. (and speaking of wacky) What the hell didi Adobe do to Lr 4 ? It's soooo slooooow and the NR was WAAAY better in beta. So if canon screwed the in camera firmware and their DPP, and adobe def screwed up on Lr 4, than we're better off keeping our old stuff ::)
1dx mkII, 35 L II, Zeiss 50 f2 mp, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »

prayharder

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »
come on...

Have you had a look at his portfolio site? I'm pretty sure he's capable of operating that camera. And if he's been able to do side by side comparisons with another Mk3 body he probably knows what he's looking out for.
And that crop of the car does look pretty soft and blotchy to me. Although one thing that strikes me when looking at the small preview image of the whole shot is the hdr-esque sky in the background? Was that shot an in camera hdr??

That's exactly what I was thinking too, very hdr ish.

Jettatore

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
I don't blame you for wanting a full new unit and not just a repair if the item is broken/defective, otherwise you are technically buying a factory refurb at full new pricing.  Apple made me do that once with an honestly defective product, the new fangled heat sensor/power switch in the unit was physically defective, the f'in machine would turn itself off while I was using it, and it would turn itself back on in the middle of the night and wake me up when I wasn't....  Wasted a ton of my time, energy, happiness and the people on the support line were among the worst I've ever dealt with as a paying customer (make that over-paying sucker).  Anyways, long story short I payed $4,500 for a factory refurb and a horrible experience and then spent the last 12 years listening to a-holes go on about how Apple is so f'ing great.

With that said, what is wrong with your new camera?  Your opening post/description and accompanying sample images don't give me any hints as to what might be a problem?

towelie

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »
defective,  I don't think so .... be sure that ALO turn off and make some shots again... got same same feeling with 100% crops "uhh a bit blury" but without ALO I'm happy

SF DTM

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2012, 06:24:31 PM »
I appreciate everybody who isn't bashing the hell out of me for trying to inform everybody about an issue this Camera had, I had 3 other professional photographers look at and inspect the camera before returning it today and not one person doubted there was something wrong with it. I'm not here to gain anybody's approval I simply wanted to put out there, that there was an issue with my camera and there may be more with this issue floating around....

I uploaded JPEG's because the RAW and JPEG images both looked the same in terms of bad image quality and I wanted to put something into LR so that I could actually inspect the image.

As for the whole PNG thing, they were screen caps from my mac, automatically saved as PNG.

My apologies to everybody hounding me on the samples, over the years I have spent most of my time getting better at photography, not pixel peeping and complaining about my equipment so I'm new to the whole posting samples thing.

I've been shooting since I was 13, I know what a blotchy image looks like. It's pretty insane how many trolling fanboys manage to flock to this forum....

To the people that were actually trying to help and lend some advice, sincerely appreciated!

full sized JPEG's here:

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?s1682fco7h1haau
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?aiit0ri2sjf1af2
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?4zn5j6d2scn9gwe
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:36:34 PM by SF DTM »

SF DTM

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »
defective,  I don't think so .... be sure that ALO turn off and make some shots again... got same same feeling with 100% crops "uhh a bit blury" but without ALO I'm happy

made sure to try this as well....

photophreek

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 06:47:40 PM »
I think these types of threads will be the flavour of the month going forward.  People getting this camera, in my humble opinion, should not just pull it out of the box, slap a CF card into it and shoot whatever.  The manual is 402 pages long.  It's probably a good idea to get yourself familiar with, argueably, a very new camera with new features before uploading images and statinng the camera is defective.  I'm sure we are all competent seasoned photographers, but this thing is not an XTi.  Give it some respect.  Canon has had a long time to perfect this thing. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:50:29 PM by photophreek »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 06:47:40 PM »

SF DTM

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »
I think these types of threads will be the flavour of the month going forward.  People getting this camera, in my humble opinion, should not just pull it out of the box, slap a CF card into it and shoot whatever.  The manual is 402 pages long.  It's probably a good idea to get yourself familiar with, argueably, a very new camera with new features before uploading images and statinng the camera is defective.  I'm sure we are all competent seasoned photographers, but this thing is not an XTi.  Give it some respect.  Canon has had a long time to perfect this thing.

I'd say reading the manual online for the past week and shooting about 500 images yesterday in hundreds of different combinations of settings and then having 3 guys who do nothing but test equipment all day take a look at the camera and tell me there was something wrong, was enough to make my decision that there was something wrong with the camera.

But keep it going guys, keep assuming on what I did or didn't do or know.

=)

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »
Okay, I think we've beat this dead horse sufficiently.

I was skeptical at first, but I trust the OP. We do get some hysterical folks on the forum at times, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

To me, this illustrates the difficulty of diagnosing problems over the internet. So many variables, so many different opinions.

It seems that in this case, the camera was very likely defective. There will always be a few and someone has to get the defective ones. No reason to doubt it in this case. The OP was right to take it back and exchange it. Now, if the next one has the same problem...well...then it might be something else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »