October 22, 2014, 05:47:01 PM

Author Topic: Defective 5D MK III.....  (Read 18526 times)

SF DTM

Re: Defective 5D MK III.....
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 06:58:27 PM »
Okay, I think we've beat this dead horse sufficiently.

I was skeptical at first, but I trust the OP. We do get some hysterical folks on the forum at times, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

To me, this illustrates the difficulty of diagnosing problems over the internet. So many variables, so many different opinions.

It seems that in this case, the camera was very likely defective. There will always be a few and someone has to get the defective ones. No reason to doubt it in this case. The OP was right to take it back and exchange it. Now, if the next one has the same problem...well...then it might be something else.

greatly appreciated and well said.

I'm not at all here to bash the camera, it really is incredible and I have a new one coming from B&H tomorrow and can't wait to open it up and see some sharp images.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 06:58:27 PM »

Positron

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
As a person who generally doesn't bother pixel peeping, I'm actually very curious about where the issue is, since I can't see it. If someone could point it out to me (say with a comparison to a similar image that doesn't have the same problem), I'd be greatly appreciative, so I know what to look for in the future (for example if I can ever afford a 5D3 of my own :) ).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:03:47 PM by Positron »

photogaz

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photogaz
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 07:30:22 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something here but the sample photos look fine to me.

hoghavemercy

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 07:40:31 PM »

I was skeptical at first, but I trust the OP. We do get some hysterical folks on the forum at times, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

To me, this illustrates the difficulty of diagnosing problems over the internet. So many variables, so many different opinions.

It seems that in this case, the camera was very likely defective. There will always be a few and someone has to get the defective ones. No reason to doubt it in this case. The OP was right to take it back and exchange it. Now, if the next one has the same problem...well...then it might be something else.

I'm not at all here to bash the camera, it really is incredible and I have a new one coming from B&H tomorrow and can't wait to open it up and see some sharp images.

just hope B&H does not re-package that camera you're sending back. the next batch for their shipment is on a Wednesday the 28th, things might get mixed up around there.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 07:48:10 PM »
did you get a new body? if so how is it?
I'm definately underwhelmed by how bad the jpg files are out of the camera
I'm still checking the raws out but its hard only having DPP and the beta of ACR
APS-H Fanboy

michaeldorian

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »
As a person who generally doesn't bother pixel peeping, I'm actually very curious about where the issue is, since I can't see it. If someone could point it out to me (say with a comparison to a similar image that doesn't have the same problem), I'd be greatly appreciative, so I know what to look for in the future (for example if I can ever afford a 5D3 of my own :) ).

I would also love some insight into this too. I would love to know what the experts thinks about these images. Maybe help us newbies know what to look for. I downloaded the full res files the OP posted and especially with the purple flower one, I couldn't tell what was wrong with it.

If the OP had a bad one, since these are not made by hand, there's a chance a batch of them could be bad.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »
did you get a new body? if so how is it?
I'm definately underwhelmed by how bad the jpg files are out of the camera
I'm still checking the raws out but its hard only having DPP and the beta of ACR

Did you download the DNG converter too? If so you can convert them all and then move them into LR or any other programme.  They become slightly smaller than the RAW, but comparing the two I don't see any loss.  I haven't shot jpeg straight out of a camera capable of RAW for 2 years

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 08:05:28 PM »
Most of professional stills photographers don’t even know this but here’s the thing.

With mk2 and all the other Canon cameras with Picture Style, there’re mainly two types of Pictures Styles. Standard and Neutral. All the other built-in Picture Styles are based on the Standard one.
Regardless of NR setting, Standard PS smears detail even at ISO 100 in order to reduce noise. For a simple test, take a picture using those two PS and compare the difference. The difference is quite huge.
It gets even worse when you apply default standard NR setting since it does double smearing. This has been the key reason why Canon cameras do poorly in photography review since default setting of the camera uses Standard PS with standard NR.

Quoted from Philip Blooms website. It was a response to his review of the 5d3(in which he also said it was a bit soft).
iPhone 4s camera

CowGummy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2012, 08:39:49 PM »

Good on you SF. In my opinion you did the exact thing I did with my MkII when I got it - it had a fault and I took it back to the store. Everyone there agreed with me and I was handed a new one straight away.
I get the feeling that some of the posts here are picking up on a 'warning guys, this camera has a design flaw' type of issue. This is obviously not the case. Looking at your portfolio I would call you a very accomplished shooter and trust you spotted an issue with a (hopefully) fluke bad copy of a new body. These things happen.

Enjoy the new one when you get it and let us know your results.
5DmkII   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  430exII

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »
Most of professional stills photographers don’t even know this but here’s the thing.

With mk2 and all the other Canon cameras with Picture Style, there’re mainly two types of Pictures Styles. Standard and Neutral. All the other built-in Picture Styles are based on the Standard one.
Regardless of NR setting, Standard PS smears detail even at ISO 100 in order to reduce noise. For a simple test, take a picture using those two PS and compare the difference. The difference is quite huge.
It gets even worse when you apply default standard NR setting since it does double smearing. This has been the key reason why Canon cameras do poorly in photography review since default setting of the camera uses Standard PS with standard NR.

Quoted from Philip Blooms website. It was a response to his review of the 5d3(in which he also said it was a bit soft).

I don't think that would apply here. It was said the jpgs and raws both suffered. Pictures styles wouldn't be honored unless using the canon software to view the raw. If using lightroom or aperture they wouldn't, countn't, respect those settings as they are are proprietary.

SF DTM, you can rule this in/out as a possibility. What app are you viewer the files with?

Unfortunately, even at home with the good equipment, I still am not seeing what your describing. Clearly from your portfolio, you have an excellent eye and probably better equipment than most. It may be possible that most of us aren't going to be able to see what your seeing, but I hope you get a replacement that works out.

unclemat

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »

SF DTM

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:39 PM »

Good on you SF. In my opinion you did the exact thing I did with my MkII when I got it - it had a fault and I took it back to the store. Everyone there agreed with me and I was handed a new one straight away.
I get the feeling that some of the posts here are picking up on a 'warning guys, this camera has a design flaw' type of issue. This is obviously not the case. Looking at your portfolio I would call you a very accomplished shooter and trust you spotted an issue with a (hopefully) fluke bad copy of a new body. These things happen.

Enjoy the new one when you get it and let us know your results.

again, much appreciated. I went with my instinct on taking it back, I plan on having this camera for awhile and want it 100% from the get go!

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 10:46:02 PM »
I'll let you have a little laugh at my expense....

I was so determined to see the splotchy-ness that I spent 10 minutes staring at unclemat's pictures before I finally noticed the black bar and realized it was a completely different issue.

Guess that gets back to the idea, sometimes you just need to know what to look for.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 10:46:02 PM »

SF DTM

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 11:00:08 PM »
I'll let you have a little laugh at my expense....

I was so determined to see the splotchy-ness that I spent 10 minutes staring at unclemat's pictures before I finally noticed the black bar and realized it was a completely different issue.

Guess that gets back to the idea, sometimes you just need to know what to look for.

HA, I did the exact same thing then decided to read the post. I'd say only 2 bad cameras so far is a pretty good start. Seems like the problem he has is a packaging problem.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 11:13:05 PM »

https://rapidshare.com/files/265985045/045C0110.CR2

SFDTM can you have a look at the raw file i posted here, i'd be interested in your opinion vs your experience
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 11:13:05 PM »