September 16, 2014, 05:35:51 AM

Author Topic: How to Edit 5D MK III Raw files in Lightroom(Windows)  (Read 24315 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
How to Edit 5D MK III Raw files in Lightroom(Windows)
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »
Note, it has been pointed out that sone users (Ones I trust) have found that DPP is producing soft images.  Rather than recommend it, I am going to rewrite the process to explain how to use the RC1 version of Adobe DNG converter until we find out whats going on with DPP.

Thanks to those who posted the link to info about DPP.

You have your new Canon 5D MK III and want to edit the raw images in Lightroom.  Since Lightroom does not yet support CR2 files from a 5D MK III, here is a alternate method. 

Note, If you use Adobe Photoshop, install the Adobe Camera Raw 6.7 RC1 here:  http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw6-7.html

Your camera came with DPP, EOS utilities, etc, but experienced testers have found the first version of DPP to produce soft images. so here is a better method than using DPP.

This is a abbreviated process on how to get the images into lightroom using Adobe DNG.  It is a release Candidate version and subject to change, but users, including myself have had good results.

• If you haven't already, download Adobe Digital Negative Converter 6.7 RC1 here:    http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw6-7.html   Click the accept terms box and a list of versions will appear.  Select Adobe DNG Converter for the computer you use. (Do not select Camera Raw for use with Lightroom, it works with Photoshop).
  • Install the software
  • Transfer the cr2 images to your computer using the utility of your choice.
  • Open DNG Connverter, select the folder with the images. As far as I know, you must convert all the images in the folder, jpeg images will be ignored.
  • Select or create a save folder, it can be a different or sub folder from that holding the original cr2's.

• If you wish to create a new name for the files, you can do it here, but be careful, or you will lose the correlation with the original cr2 file numbers.
  • Advanced users can create their preferences.  Be aware that some of the preferences can greatly increase fole size, or make smaller files that have lossy compression. The default settings are a good place to start.
  • Click Convert

• Open Lightroom and import the dng images as you would any other image.
  • At this point, you are editing what amounts to a raw image in Lightroom and can export it to jpeg, etc for upload to your web site.

Good luck
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:14:52 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

canon rumors FORUM

How to Edit 5D MK III Raw files in Lightroom(Windows)
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: How to Edit 5D MK III Raw files in Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 05:16:56 PM »
Why convert to tiff before importing into Lightroom?  I import RAW files in the CR2 format.  I use Lightroom 3, and import from a 7D, so maybe a difference in version 4 (or with the 5D Mark III)?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:40:43 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * Powershot S110 * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
Why convert to tiff before importing into Lightroom?  I import RAW files in the CR2 format.  I use Lightroom 3, and import from a 7D, so maybe a difference in version 4 (or with the 5D Mark III)?

I missed adding 5D MK II in the title.  Lightroom does not yet support 5D MK III cr2's directly.

i'll fix the title.

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »
Awesome!
Thanks for providing this info. I will pick up my Mark III tomorrow.
Anyone have any info. on an Aperture workflow?
I can use the info. provided above to work in LR3 but my preferred software workflow is Aperture 3.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

Seamus

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »
Thanks Mt. Spokane! Appreciate the info. Now I just need the camera, should have gone with overnight delivery...

Jettatore

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 06:16:44 PM »
TIFF is a lossless format for sure, but doesn't RAW hold 'excess' data beyond R, G, and B channel info that would not be supported by TIFF?  I'm half guessing and following my gut here, and the other half genuinely asking a question, but this sounds incorrect to me?  I think my gut is a lot responding to the "tiff is a raw format" idea  (but I am happy to be proven wrong) -thank you

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »
TIFF is a lossless format for sure, but doesn't RAW hold 'excess' data beyond R, G, and B channel info that would not be supported by TIFF?  I'm half guessing and following my gut here, and the other half genuinely asking a question, but this sounds incorrect to me?  I think my gut is a lot responding to the "tiff is a raw format" idea  (but I am happy to be proven wrong) -thank you
As far as I can tell, DPP puts all the image info in the tiff files.  So does DNG.  Unfortunately, right now  only a beta version of DNG for 5D MK III is available.  Its fine for testing, but maybe not something to trust for production images.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »

msdarkroom

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
I thought I posted to this thread earlier, but apparently I did not hit the 'post' button. Sorry.

Here is a DNG converter:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/

I use the converter and import into LR4. It works great.
You can still save the CR2 files as well if you want them too.

hoghavemercy

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:45:59 PM »
CS5 supports CR2 with a 5D Mark III and 1DX support for ACR why fool around with LR4??

ronrandle

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 09:04:43 PM »
MSDarkroom, are you able to import directly into LR or do you have to import into a folder then into LR? Also curious if this will work for LR3

Thanks

Ron

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »
CS5 supports CR2 with a 5D Mark III and 1DX support for ACR why fool around with LR4??

If you were importing 150 shots would you open them all at once in CS5?  I've been using Adobe's DNG converter as my DPP disc was missing the installation files and Canon have no spare software CD Roms!

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
I thought I posted to this thread earlier, but apparently I did not hit the 'post' button. Sorry.

Here is a DNG converter:

\
The problem is that its a beta test version.  Not something you'd want to trust your production files with.  Its for testing.

DPP is a released version.  Adobe also has a beta camera raw, good for testing.

msdarkroom

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »

Here is a DNG converter:

\
The problem is that its a beta test version.  Not something you'd want to trust your production files with.  Its for testing.

DPP is a released version.  Adobe also has a beta camera raw, good for testing.

I am splitting hairs here, but...
It is actually not a beta but a "release candidate" which is basically something ready for prime time.
Google "beta versus release candidate" to see the difference.

The other thing is that you can keep your original cr2 files if you are worried or paranoid that this converter will somehow mess up the DNG.

Anyway, to each their own. I was just trying to offer what I feel is an easier solution until Adobe updates LR4/Camera Raw to include the M3.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »

hoghavemercy

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »

If you were importing 150 shots would you open them all at once in CS5?  I've been using Adobe's DNG converter as my DPP disc was missing the installation files and Canon have no spare software CD Roms!

of course you can that's what the bridge is all about, i have Lr3 but barely use it anymore CS5 is more refined and has everything you need.

grahamsz

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:37:11 AM »
TIFF is a lossless format for sure, but doesn't RAW hold 'excess' data beyond R, G, and B channel info that would not be supported by TIFF?

TIFF Is definitely lossless (or in some cases uncompressed) but it's by no means a raw format. The most obvious difference is that TIFF is demosiaced, and some amount of processing had to go into that step. It's probably a perfectly decent workflow but you are definitely losing data.

On a side note, I do think I've encountered a mosaic tiff file which came of a DCS1 SLR. I recall needed some funny photoshop filter to even load it. Probably got that in a box somewhere :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 12:37:11 AM »