August 21, 2014, 01:03:13 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Reviews  (Read 10739 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
5D Mark III Reviews
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:21:31 PM »
5D Mark III review links
We are going to post review links to the 5D Mark III as they become available. We’ll only post indepth reviews, not previews. Be sure to send in a link to a review if you find one.

Reviews

My review of the camera will be a week or two away. I really want to use the camera in a bunch of different situations.

cr

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:42:33 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III Reviews
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:21:31 PM »

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
Re: 5D Mark III Reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »
Great review from Engadget on the stills side. A miserable review from the video site.

Crazy that this doesn't do 1080. I thought the 22 MP was supposed to be perfect for this.  :o
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:06:18 PM »
Great review from Engadget on the stills side. A miserable review from the video site.

Crazy that this doesn't do 1080. I thought the 22 MP was supposed to be perfect for this.  :o

I haven't used the camera for video but I beieve that the camera does 1080p at 24, 25 and 30 fps and 720p at 60 fps.  You can get compatibility issues at 60fps in any case.

ronm88

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:08:59 PM »

Actually ... that part of the review is very poorly worded. When the reviewer says that it doesn't do 1080p, he is trying to say that there isn't 1080p worth of resolution. i.e. there are 1920x1080 pixels, but the pixels are less sharp than a scaled up 720p video.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »
I haven't used the camera for video but I beieve that the camera does 1080p at 24, 25 and 30 fps and 720p at 60 fps.  You can get compatibility issues at 60fps in any case.
Think of it like your hamburger you order. Sure, you ordered a 1/4lb burger, but, if you weight what you get, it weighs much less, because the weight comes before cooking

Same thing with the video, it can probably record at 1080 4:2:2 ..but, since it can't output that (like a D800 can, or like many other pro camcorders can), it relies on what Canon's codec outputs. The results are videos with fewer lines that look a little softer. Sometimes that is a good thing, for the right effect (interviews, things with people)...sometimes its not (architecture, nature, etc)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »
I wonder what kinda potential this thing has for improvement via firmware updates.....Can they actually affect image quality or is it just minor tweaks?
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »
Yes, the reviews of the video have been pretty POOR as a whole.

Even DP Philip Bloom, the person who basically popularized the video DSLR movement who sold countless cameras for Canon seemed let down. And he's a very optimistic person. The main reason for all the discord is POOR, upscaled 700 lines of resolution. Some people are going as far as saying the new 5D3 has a softer image than the 5D2 because of the way they are dealing with Moire and Aliasing by blurring the pixels.

To Canon, the video people deserved a lot better than this. I'm passing on the 5D3 and hopefully the 4K C-DSLR comes out at NAB. I don't want to buy a Sony FS-100, but I might just have no choice soon as I've waiting so long for a decent video solution from Canon, only to be let down again and again :(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:48:16 PM by gene_can_sing »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »

davidbellissima

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photographer in London
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:13 PM »
HI all. First post after being an avid reader for a long time.

I have posted my own review of the high ISO performance of the 5D Mkiii versus the Mkii, after spening most of today running the tests getting this all done.

Feel free to review it here:

http://www.bellissimaphoto.co.uk/photographers/canon-5d-mkiii-review-vs-5d-mkii-high-iso-test.html

Also, any comments as to the setup or validity are most welcome.

kubrick

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »
Btw: Gordon Laing (@CameraLabs) provides some 5D Mark III vs 5D Mark II noise comparison shots (JPEG only, RAW to follow):  http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III/high_ISO_noise.shtml
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:37:45 PM by kubrick »
5D Mark III, 24-105L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 100L, EF200mm f/2.8L, 70-300L, Sigma 12-24 DG HSM II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
My 5D Mark III Review
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »
I didn't waste time reading reviews. I rented a Canon 5D MK III yesterday and did some video testing.

Your own review is the best review of all. But I will say I'm impressed.

catz

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 07:51:22 AM »
Same thing with the video, it can probably record at 1080 4:2:2 ..but, since it can't output that (like a D800 can, or like many other pro camcorders can), it relies on what Canon's codec outputs. The results are videos with fewer lines that look a little softer. Sometimes that is a good thing, for the right effect (interviews, things with people)...sometimes its not (architecture, nature, etc)

Codec has almost nothing to do with sharpness. Panasonic GH2 is sharp despite it has very poor bit rate codec. The better codec and higher bitrate only reduces artifacting, and has not really much to do with recorded sharpness.

Simple experiment:
Shoot a video with RED Scarlet/Epic.
Shoot the same video with the 5D mark II or mark III
and shoot the same video with the 7D and finally 1D mark IV.

Now scale all videos to the same resolution, 1920x1080 (in other words you need to only scale the RED from 4K to 1080p). Then drop the bit rate of the resulting video lower than the lowest denominator of these, e.g. lower than the Canon's bit rate. Now compare the actual resolution of the images.
What you can see very easily is that:
1. RED is very sharp
2. 5D mark III is next
3. 5D mark II is next
4. 7D is second last
5. 1D mark IV is the very last of this group.

When you compare 1, 2 already you get a feeling that anything less than the mentioned 1 is crap. If you look sharpness a bit through fingers, then you can add 2 and 3 to the acceptable category. If you are irritated with moire, you can drop everything below 2 (in other words, mk II, 7D and 1D are unacceptable).

I am excited for the Zacuto 2012 camera test to prove this this year. I already knew the results, but want to see it done "properly" so that it is easier to point out to people who do not understand that the number of pixels in the file do not equal to the resolved row & line resolution of the camera. It is like comparing Canon L glass with some cheap plastic lens and say that both have same magnification. Indeed yes if you don't care about quality.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 08:19:28 AM »
Wow, EOSHD really rips Canon a new one.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
Here's another review site...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III/high_ISO_noise.shtml

They compare the 5d3 vs 5d2 Jpegs only, Raw is to come... interesting side by side comparison shots....
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »

DeepShadows

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 10:19:20 AM »
HI all. First post after being an avid reader for a long time.

I have posted my own review of the high ISO performance of the 5D Mkiii versus the Mkii, after spening most of today running the tests getting this all done.

Feel free to review it here:

http://www.bellissimaphoto.co.uk/photographers/canon-5d-mkiii-review-vs-5d-mkii-high-iso-test.html

Also, any comments as to the setup or validity are most welcome.

It's been found by a huge number of people that DPP is smearing for no reason the RAWs and when you take that same RAW and convert to DNG usiing the 6.7 DNG converter and open in Lightroom or CS6 the same exact file magically gets way sharper. I think Canon might have rushed their update of DPP which is why it's not available on the web, just used as a temporary stopgap. Seriously I request you rerun your test with the Beta ACR 6.7 and then re-upload your results.

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
much better review with real samples!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III/

i have to say the dps review almost seemed like a joke to me, on my first tests i did in a professional post production vfx company, the video is embarrassing to post because we were shooting each other and book cases and screen doors, trying to create problems. we could not get the 5D3 to moiré at all and we saw no noise at all on the intra frame compression, clean a as a whistle. we then put the MK2 and the MK3 footage next to each other and yes the MK3 was a tad bit softer, but in a really good way, it had more of a nice gradual feel to the lights and darks in the frame where the MK2 seemed like "video camera" sharp and though appearing sharper it did not look as pleasant on people's skin tones and any straight lines in the frame, plus the moire on even a bookshelf made the shots unusable.
i wish the person who wrote the eos review told us what settings he was using that was causing noise and did an overall iso test. i have always found that you need to stay at 320 or 640 and thats it, i shot at 320 and i saw no noise.
as well, the default settings out of the box are unfortunate, basically you should disable almost everything that effects the image, all the noise reductions, and auto correcting highlights, etc; they all  cause the image to soften. try shooting in neutral, you'll notice a big difference :)
next week ill be shooting a job with the epic on green screen and we are bringing in the MK3 to give it a keying test!
5D MKIII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »