July 30, 2014, 09:23:29 PM

Author Topic: Dpreview first impressions of the D800  (Read 2836 times)

EvilTed

Dpreview first impressions of the D800
« on: March 22, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »
Absolutely backs up my assumptions and makes me glad I made the jump to Canon and bought a 5D MK3 :)
These two points listed (and the diffraction issue) are why I gave up on Nikon.
It's not that I think the D800 is a bad camera, it's just not the great all-rounder I wanted but the 5D MK 3 apparently is.
I'll get mine tomorrow and find out first hand...

From the DPREVIEW article http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1690347434/first-impressions-using-the-nikon-d800/

I have two other issues with the D800, but it's hardly fair to call them criticisms, since both are a natural consequence of the massive pixel count. Firstly, on a 36.3MP sensor, accurate focus is essential, since there is less margin for error than you'd expect from a 12, 16 or even 24MP sensor. When viewed at 100%, even minor focussing errors are visible in files from the D800 where they might go unnoticed in cameras with a smaller pixel count, and although I've been impressed by AF accuracy on Nikon's prime and zoom lenses (so far) if you're shooting at wide apertures - especially on longer lenses - accurate focussing is a must.

Secondly, the D800's files are massive. It isn't unusual for high quality JPEGs to take up around 30MB on a memory card, and the .NEF files are bigger again. Not only will they rip through hard drive space like there's no tomorrow, but manipulating files this large on a computer can be pretty time-consuming. If you're planning on purchasing a D800, some extra RAM for your PC should probably also be on your shopping list...

canon rumors FORUM

Dpreview first impressions of the D800
« on: March 22, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
Re: Dpreview first impressions of the D800
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:37:19 AM »
I know I'm supposed to wet my pants when I blow them up to 100 percent, but those sample images just aren't doing it for me. Compared to the 5DIII samples, the D800's images looks flatter and far less punchy, for lack of a proper technical term :)

Mike Miami

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:59:09 AM »
D800 specs on paper look fantastic and make it  look like the best dslr ever to be made with a $3000 price tag but in reality its not as good as it seems. Nikon knows this, thus the $3000 sticker price.

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 08:49:44 AM »
mmmkay... i'll give you another reason, the carton box of the nikon isn't as nice as the Canon one, and the font they use? ugly as hell!

Sorry OP but i seriously doubt your story

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »
doesn't this belong to the 3rd party forum?

I have two other issues with the D800, but it's hardly fair to call them criticisms, since both are a natural consequence of the massive pixel count. Firstly, on a 36.3MP sensor, accurate focus is essential, since there is less margin for error than you'd expect from a 12, 16 or even 24MP sensor. When viewed at 100%, even minor focussing errors are visible in files from the D800 where they might go unnoticed in cameras with a smaller pixel count, and although I've been impressed by AF accuracy on Nikon's prime and zoom lenses (so far) if you're shooting at wide apertures - especially on longer lenses - accurate focussing is a must.

refutal by a nikonian expert
http://bythom.com/

March 22 (commentary)--With D800's popping into users' hands this week, a new common question seems to be flooding my In Box: is a D800 any more averse to hand holding than a D7000?

Short answer: no.

All that said, the D800 has almost exactly the same pixel density as a D7000. If you can get sharp shots with a D7000, you'll be able to do so with a D800, especially if we put the same lens on and just look at the central area of the shot, where all lenses perform best.

The notion some people have that the D800 can't be handheld is wrong. It can. It just takes the same level of technique that D7000 users have had to attain.

makes sense. it is pixel pitch that matters, not total number. the D800 has a lower pixel pitch than the 7D, so if you can handhold a 7D, you can handhold a D800. Same goes for focus. The D800 is actually more forgiving than the 7D.

I think people need to stop the 36MP is bad for focus and handhold myth. Since these are FULL FRAME 36MP and not APS-C.

I look at it differently, with an eye towards what you CAN do. Diffraction isn't a problem unless you stop down beyond f8. And even so, shooting 22MP at f/22 vs 36MP at f/22, won't make the 22MP image look better because the 22MP will suffer as well. Diffraction affects both images and if you downsample the 36MP file to 22MP, the effect of diffraction is the same. Advantage nullified. But it is a question of having the option to capture more detail at f/8 and wider apertures versus not being able to. IMO this makes the D800 more versatile because it can do everything the 22MP sensor can do when diffraction is a problem, and it can outclass it when it isn't.

Secondly, the D800's files are massive. It isn't unusual for high quality JPEGs to take up around 30MB on a memory card, and the .NEF files are bigger again. Not only will they rip through hard drive space like there's no tomorrow, but manipulating files this large on a computer can be pretty time-consuming. If you're planning on purchasing a D800, some extra RAM for your PC should probably also be on your shopping list...

storage is cheap. memory cards are cheap and USB3 is very fast. Ram is cheap. I got 16GB for less than 100 bucks. If you're buying a 3000 dollar camera, spending thousands in getting to a location, why would these small things matter? This is after all a multi year investment. everything gets cheaper and faster storage wise. You're buying future proof today so you can be adequate tomorrow. It makes no sense to be conservative today when tomorrow's storage and processing technologies will outmatch the needs of today.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:15:43 AM by psolberg »

Otter

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »
I know people are buying the Nikon and the specs.  My local camera shop had 5 5D Mark III pre orders and 40 Nikon D800 pre orders.  Maybe it's the price point, maybe it's the specs on paper, but at least at this camera store the D800 is blowing away the MKIII in sales.  I'm sure it's not an anomaly and is somewhat indicative of general sales.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 10:36:48 AM »
I think a lot of people are simply buying the 36MP of the D800.  Canon is to blame in part for this for telling everyone more MP is better for the past few years!   ;)

My local store has become a Nikon fanboy so I dont rely on them anymore for advice.  I think the 5DmkIII will be great when the dust settle.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 10:36:48 AM »

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »
I think a lot of people are simply buying the 36MP of the D800.  Canon is to blame in part for this for telling everyone more MP is better for the past few years!   ;)

My local store has become a Nikon fanboy so I dont rely on them anymore for advice.  I think the 5DmkIII will be great when the dust settle.

36mp isnt the whole picture im afraid, results are out @dxomark: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Nikon-D800-Review/Sensor-performance

D800 sensor is the new benchmark

Astro

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
what does this have to do with EOS bodies?

there is already a thread in the third party manufacturer forum where this would fit.

matto0

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:43:53 AM »
Absolutely backs up my assumptions and makes me glad I made the jump to Canon and bought a 5D MK3 :)
It's not that I think the D800 is a bad camera, it's just not the great all-rounder I wanted but the 5D MK 3 apparently is.
I'll get mine tomorrow and find out first hand...

From the DPREVIEW article http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1690347434/first-impressions-using-the-nikon-d800/

Wow, you probably should have done your research. On the D800, each mode (FX/1.2/DX, etc) has a small/medium/large resolution setting.  You could shoot in FX 25MP and be pretty close to the 5DMK3's file size and focus requirements.

se7en

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 12:33:05 PM »
we discuss about Nikon here because they matter, dont go all fanboy in here because this is a republic now not a Karma autocratic crap anymore ;p

Google translate failed to process the above 'sentence'...

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5D/5D2/5D3,7D,60D,EOS-M,D800/E,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 01:07:48 PM »
It may seem like the thead may be misplaced but I'm glad they did.  Canon is shipping and Nikon isn't (so far).  Canon announced later but now they are shipping in what looks like quanitity.  That is manfacturing power.  I don't know how it is in other countries but in the U.S. people will buy what is available.  I've decided to go both Canon and Nikon because I don't know who can deliver.  Canon introduced the new Super Teles las summer and we still don't have the new 500 and 600mm lenses at their new inflated prices.  I'm hoping Nikon will provide some competition but even their lenses seem to be backordered.  My message to both companies are "Be sure you can deliver what you announce."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 01:07:48 PM »