December 22, 2014, 05:42:30 AM

Author Topic: Disappointed in Amazon 5D Mark III Preorder  (Read 10575 times)

MeHoo

Re: Disappointed in Amazon 5D Mark III Preorder
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »
My observation:

Proofread your messages before you send them.  I read you as an annoying teenager when I read that message, or at best, someone who wrote it on their phone and the autocorrect messed up a few words.  Emotionally driven messages hardly ever warrant a response; be lucky you even received one. 

My issue:

I pre-ordered 6-12 hours before other people who were receiving theirs while mine had no ETA.  We (this community) later figure out (best we can) that this has to do with individual proximity to the warehouses that have stock.  This is wrong.  "First come, first serve" shouldn't take a back seat to Amazon wanting to save on overnight shipping from one location in the country to another.  Wrong.  Also, to have the big giant's customer service team tell me and many others that the camera is not in fact released yet, as they are concurrently shipping thousands of them to people who have pre-ordered them is also wrong.

I won't be pre-ordering anything from them again.

That being said, I ordered it from a third party on Amazon and will receive mine Tuesday.  I paid a tiny bit more for shipping.  When Amazon's third party sellers can ship the camera faster, and with more information, than they can themselves, things are pretty messed up, you have to admit.

So while I dislike the way this was handled, are you really surprised?  That being said B&H and Adorama hardly handled things properly either IMO.  This whole launch was terrible.  I received one of the very first 7D's at launch and had no problems whatsoever getting mine, first shipment.

Canon surely also screwed up.  Body only was second place to the kit.  I think that's like a retailer telling you the camera is out of stock unless you buy their kit with two lenses and filters!  It's crap.  They obviously have the camera in stock otherwise the kit wouldn't be an option.  Should be illegal.

All in all this launch was FUBAR'd and everyone needs to learn from the mistakes they ALL made.  In the Canon vs. Nikon battle, things like this get noticed.  Whether the product is great or not is irrelevant if they can't get it into people's hands effectively.  This happens anytime a new game console ships and stock is severely limited.  Poor publicity.

My closing comments:  Nothing will change.  This is the way the broken machine operates.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »

Fatalv

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »
My observation:

Proofread your messages before you send them.  I read you as an annoying teenager when I read that message, or at best, someone who wrote it on their phone and the autocorrect messed up a few words.  Emotionally driven messages hardly ever warrant a response; be lucky you even received one. 

My issue:

I pre-ordered 6-12 hours before other people who were receiving theirs while mine had no ETA.  We (this community) later figure out (best we can) that this has to do with individual proximity to the warehouses that have stock.  This is wrong.  "First come, first serve" shouldn't take a back seat to Amazon wanting to save on overnight shipping from one location in the country to another.  Wrong.  Also, to have the big giant's customer service team tell me and many others that the camera is not in fact released yet, as they are concurrently shipping thousands of them to people who have pre-ordered them is also wrong.

I won't be pre-ordering anything from them again.

That being said, I ordered it from a third party on Amazon and will receive mine Tuesday.  I paid a tiny bit more for shipping.  When Amazon's third party sellers can ship the camera faster, and with more information, than they can themselves, things are pretty messed up, you have to admit.

So while I dislike the way this was handled, are you really surprised?  That being said B&H and Adorama hardly handled things properly either IMO.  This whole launch was terrible.  I received one of the very first 7D's at launch and had no problems whatsoever getting mine, first shipment.

Canon surely also screwed up.  Body only was second place to the kit.  I think that's like a retailer telling you the camera is out of stock unless you buy their kit with two lenses and filters!  It's crap.  They obviously have the camera in stock otherwise the kit wouldn't be an option.  Should be illegal.

All in all this launch was FUBAR'd and everyone needs to learn from the mistakes they ALL made.  In the Canon vs. Nikon battle, things like this get noticed.  Whether the product is great or not is irrelevant if they can't get it into people's hands effectively.  This happens anytime a new game console ships and stock is severely limited.  Poor publicity.

My closing comments:  Nothing will change.  This is the way the broken machine operates.

+1
5DMk3, 7D, 16-35f2.8 II, 70-200f2.8 IS II, 50 f1.4, 10-22, 430EXII, 600EX-RT ...

randplaty

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 03:05:04 AM »
Mine has finally changed to "Shipping Soon."  I honestly think they're shipping mine later just because I selected overnight shipping.

briami

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 11:40:22 AM »
Mine has finally changed to "Shipping Soon."  I honestly think they're shipping mine later just because I selected overnight shipping.

Same with mine...  I am patiently waiting for the email that it is shipped...

Nick888

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »
Mine said "shipping soon" all day on Saturday 3/24 but they changed it back to "not yet shipped" on Sunday 3/25. Also a 3499.00 charge showed on my credit card. but when I called the CS, they still give me the same answer "this item has not been released yet, will sent you an email when we shipped." Does happened to anyone?

Same with mine...  I am patiently waiting for the email that it is shipped...

Veraxus

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 02:33:05 PM »
Pretty much the same story as everyone else.

I have a kit on order and absolutely no word at all on a ship date. I'm willing to give a few days since I can save a pretty penny by ordering through Amazon.

This is my first pro-grade SLR purchase. I love the idea of being able to use one device for broadcast quality video and still photography. I passed on the 7D because, frankly, I just don't want a crop-frame camera... and I'm not impressed at all with the AF and video functionality of the mk-ii - so I've been patiently waiting for Canon to release a 5D successor with the 7D's improvements.

A few extra days won't kill me, but man does it sting knowing that the camera is out there, available, and people are using it... and I have no idea when to expect mine. Ah well. I'll give it a day or two. If I don't have a timely date by then, I'll start looking for alternatives (I bookmarked a couple sites mentioned in this thread - but they seem to be sold out already)

beckstoy

• EOS M2
  • Bokeh, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • Pure Touch Photography
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »
Bailed on those losers at Amazon and called up Adorama.  Had the kit in stock (11 left, btw, as of 1 hour ago).  Bought it and Canceled that Amazon nonsense!

So excited...

Bummed about Amazon!  I'll probably keep buying memory cards and other little things from them, but I'll leave the big purchases to better companies.
5DM3, EF 50 f1.4, EF 24-70 f2.8 II, EF 70-200 f2.8 USM IS II, EF 24-104 f4, Siggy 12-24 f3.5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »

MillerTime

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »
I too gave up on Amazon.  I had pre-ordered right away.  No one at Amazon could tell me where I was in the list or even if they had cameras in stock.  Last Friday, I saw Buy.com had both the kits and camera body only in stock.  Ordered a body only and just got it today (Monday).  Life is good again.  Sorry amazon.  Now I am waiting for the new 24-70 IS II to become available.  Then my life will be complete.

stevestrange

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
I gave up, too.  Pre-ordered on the very first day.  Not a peep from Amazon.

NickCat

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »
I've been a long time Amazon customer... since way back when they started only with text books in my college years. 

I've been a prime member for as long as they've had the program.  And I make the majority of my purchases through Amazon... from groceries, to electronics and everything in between.   Spending a significant amount of money every year with them. 

I have bought numerous things on pre-order from them in the past and never had a single issue...

BUT THIS is the biggest slap in the face from them I've ever dealt with. 

It won't stop me from ordering from them in the future... but I simply don't understand why they have handled this pre-order so poorly.  I understand it's been confusing with both bodies coming out at the same time... but this has been plain ridiculous. 

That all said... I saw Best Buy said they had the bodies in stock and available for shipping or in store pick up.  So I placed an order for one... said it won't be available for pickup until 4/2... so we'll see which arrives first. 

CanonBo

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
My b!tching and moaning has paid off! Just received an order update from Amazon. Status has been changed to "shipping soon" with an estimated delivery date of March 29th. FINALLY!!!

Order for body only placed at 7:00AM CST on March 2nd

Can't wait :-)

joos

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »
Pretty much the same story as everyone else.

I have a kit on order and absolutely no word at all on a ship date. I'm willing to give a few days since I can save a pretty penny by ordering through Amazon.

This is my first pro-grade SLR purchase. I love the idea of being able to use one device for broadcast quality video and still photography. I passed on the 7D because, frankly, I just don't want a crop-frame camera... and I'm not impressed at all with the AF and video functionality of the mk-ii - so I've been patiently waiting for Canon to release a 5D successor with the 7D's improvements.

A few extra days won't kill me, but man does it sting knowing that the camera is out there, available, and people are using it... and I have no idea when to expect mine. Ah well. I'll give it a day or two. If I don't have a timely date by then, I'll start looking for alternatives (I bookmarked a couple sites mentioned in this thread - but they seem to be sold out already)

Just to give you a heads up, I ordered a kit from B&H yesterday at 1300 and my status as of this morning was it had shipped. 
They still have them in stock as of this post.  Good luck.

NickCat

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »
I just got an email from Amazon... delivery date is 3/29. 

Just cancelled the Best Buy order. 

From the other thread about this... someone with an order date on the 5th just got a delivery date as well. So looks like Amazon is sending a whole bunch of them very soon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »

PhotoVIC

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »
Body Shipped!

Ordered 3/3 PM PST

Just received Tracking number 3/27 6pm PST!!

Now moving on from refreshing Amazon's Order Status Page to UPS Tracking Page  ::)

ajr

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 10:26:57 PM »
Ordered Mark III Kit from Amazon.com 3/2 and has been frustrated about the Amazon.com responses to shipping queries so far like everybody else. Last night I was about to cancel my order and go to Adorama who seemed to have kit in stock. However I wanted to chat w Amazon.com one more time, and again I got the familiar "camera not released yet etc." story. After CSR heard my frustration, I got upgraded to 1-day shipping. Still I was pushing for actual information about real release date and at that point I was told to wait until 4/2. Although the CSR declined to confirm that as a real date (just latest estimate), I decided to wait few more days.

And today like many others have posted already I got shipping notice and camera kit should arrive tomorrow! Even though I reside in San Diego, this shipment is from Breinigsville PA, not from NV or other closer warehouses where majority of my Amazon.com shipments come from. So sounds like Amazon.com is now struggling to get these orders out and stock is not everywhere yet.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:50:37 PM by ajr »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 10:26:57 PM »