August 20, 2014, 02:55:32 AM

Author Topic: 5Diii pink picture problem  (Read 13259 times)

thatcherk1

5Diii pink picture problem
« on: March 23, 2012, 03:03:18 PM »
I was shooting some tests with my 5D just now and one of the shots I took has an extreme pink to it (except at the top of the frame) see below.  This was the only shot that did this.  None of the other shots had this problem.  I was shooting RAW to CF, and JPG to SD card.  It was pink in both RAW and JPG.  Here is a compressed jpg version:

and here is a link to the original untouched .cr2:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2077993/A12_0162.CR2

Anyone else having weird things like this happening?

canon rumors FORUM

5Diii pink picture problem
« on: March 23, 2012, 03:03:18 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5Diii pink picture problem
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »
How was the scene lit?  That might give us a hint.  For example, in a parking garage with sodium vapor lighting.

My first thought is that lighting could be the issue, but it might be something else.

thatcherk1

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 03:31:29 PM »
No, this was taken in sunlight on the street.  You can see the black bar near the top of the frame and then a seemingly normal image above that a little bit.

Here is a link to the .cr2 that was taken 1 second later, which appears normal.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2077993/A12_0163.CR2

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 03:35:02 PM »
I got an idea, print it large 30x40, call it art, and charge $10,000 for it.  =) 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

thatcherk1

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 03:36:52 PM »
Not a bad idea.

Maybe the camera was in instagram mode.  I'll have to check that.  Didn't know the 5D could do instagram effects in-camera.  What a great deal!

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »

You have Pullitzer-Prize winning evidence that an Alien spacecraft scanned your vehicle.   Caught in the act.  Sell it to the tabloids :)

Heh,,, the Histogram cause sounds interesting!   Could be.

Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »
Love the Pink Honda shot.

If your camera is not shooting right straight out of the box, go straight back to the dealer.  Let them see and try it, but if no problem can be found and fixed, ask for a return.  If it did not work from the beginning, they are obligated to take it back, or exchange it.  (Warrantee of merchantability) If they won't, contact your credit card company (hopefully you paid with a credit card) and open a dispute.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »

seenew

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »
looks like a data recording issue, I've had images show up similar to this on other cameras when something went wrong with the card or if I lost battery power while the buffer was still recording to the card.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 04:24:52 PM »
No, this was taken in sunlight on the street.  You can see the black bar near the top of the frame and then a seemingly normal image above that a little bit.

I didn't notice the black bar.  Some sort of a data save issue.  Give a total erase to both cards, not a incamera format, but a write all zeros or ones type of erase.  Then format them in camera.  this will assure that one of the cards does not have a issue that might mess up the write to card function.

I think the format is not really the answer, but its really easy thing to do that removes that possibility.

If it happens again after that, I'd exchange the camera or send it in for repair.

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »
Your vendor and Canon loves you.  They knew you really wanted a Holga. ENJOY!

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »

I didn't notice the black bar.  Some sort of a data save issue.  Give a total erase to both cards, not a incamera format, but a write all zeros or ones type of erase.  Then format them in camera.  this will assure that one of the cards does not have a issue that might mess up the write to card function.

I think the format is not really the answer, but its really easy thing to do that removes that possibility.

If it happens again after that, I'd exchange the camera or send it in for repair.

I don't think it's data savinig related issue - there were two different data streams being saved: one cr2 to cf and second jpg to sd. If so, then it's not possible that two different types of data were corrupted the same way. If jpg which was produced from cr2 looks the same, then cr2 was corrupted first in camera's memory before producing jpg.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

steins76

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »
YES!!!  It happened to me as well.... Took the 5D for a workout over the weekend at the zoo - to get myself familiarized with the controls for a wedding shoot in a couple of weeks time.  Took over 350+ photos and had 4 come out like this.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1164487

I had the same setting as you - RAW to CF and JPG to SD.  I was using a Sandisk Extreme CF card and a Sandisk Ultra II SD card (waiting for the Extreme SD card to arrive).

I hope it's not a hardware issue!!!

I was shooting some tests with my 5D just now and one of the shots I took has an extreme pink to it (except at the top of the frame) see below.  This was the only shot that did this.  None of the other shots had this problem.  I was shooting RAW to CF, and JPG to SD card.  It was pink in both RAW and JPG.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2077993/A12_0162.CR2

Anyone else having weird things like this happening?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:07:08 AM by steins76 »

canon50duser

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »
Had the same thing when shooting in RAW.. i tried browsing images in picassa and then lightroom.. If i open in DPP it displays fine and i can export the image without problems.

Maybe the Canon RAW codec for the 5D MKIII has a few teething problems?

What software are you using to display the image?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »

nkbeer

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »
You said right out of the box... Did you fully charge the battery AND did you format the cards in the camera before shooting?
I ask on both because on my XSi if I take a card from another camera (60D or Nikon CoolPix), insert it and shoot, on occasion I get single color pictures.
When the battery is VERY low when I put it in, it shows full right away until I take a few shots, then it says empty. However, almost all of those shots contain errors (one kind or another)...

suburbia

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »
Looks similar to what happened when i tried to copy all of my image files (RAWs + jpegs) from a hard drive to a drive on a new (cheap) RAID controller.

Many of my files were corrupted in exactly the same way, often partially corrupted with bands of extreme colour like in your example.

so if both the image on the CF and SD card were corrupted in exactly the same way then i would conclude a problem with the 5d Mk III writing the data rather than formatting or corruption on the card itself.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »