April 18, 2014, 01:05:06 PM

Author Topic: Quality control problems with Lee WA adaptor ring?  (Read 632 times)

ereka

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Quality control problems with Lee WA adaptor ring?
« on: March 23, 2012, 04:07:22 PM »
I recently received a Lee Filters 77mm wide angle adaptor ring from Calumet and wasn't happy with the quality. It looked slightly soiled and felt slightly sticky to the touch and the black coating on the adaptor was scratched inside the ring in two places as if it had already been screwed tightly onto a lens causing the coating to scrape off. The black coating also appears to have rubbed off slightly on the outer surfaces of the adaptor, or not coated properly. To their credit, Calumet acted promptly and arranged to deliver a new ring and collect the original at the same time. So, I've just received the replacement and it has all the faults of the first with the addition that the black coating appears patchy in a couple of places, as though it's "run" during the production process (is this "anodising"?) It also has a couple of additional places on the inner edge of the ring where the coating appears to have scraped off showing the silver coloured metal underneath. I'm probably making this sound a lot worse than it actually is as none of the blemishes is really large in itself, but the cumulative effect is that it doesn't strike me as a quality product in line with Lee Filters' reputation for quality. Have I just been unlucky, or do you think these minor blemishes are acceptable? Do you have one of these wide angle adaptor rings and if so, does what I decribe sound like the one you have? Am I just being too fussy?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:09:33 PM by ereka »

canon rumors FORUM

Quality control problems with Lee WA adaptor ring?
« on: March 23, 2012, 04:07:22 PM »

ereka

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Quality control problems with Lee WA adaptor ring?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:49:09 AM »
On another forum, someone has suggested that due to the known problems that Lee Filters has in supplying demand, they might have subcontracted the manufacture of the adaptor rings to a supplier whose quality control is not up to their usual standards. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the case?

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Quality control problems with Lee WA adaptor ring?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:49:09 AM »