September 16, 2014, 09:31:28 AM

Author Topic: This article is seriously making me question my 5DIII purchase....  (Read 16971 times)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
http://www.eoshd.com/content/7590/first-truly-representative-nikon-d800-video-footage-dxomark-says-sensor-is-best-ever

EDIT: For all the people blabbing about photographers not needing one more than the other, I ONLY SHOOT VIDEO!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:56:41 AM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: This article is seriously making me question my 5DIII purchase....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:16:29 PM »
Too early to tell. But we Canon shooters better get used to the Sony Nikon sensor partnership pushing the limits forward. Competition is good. Sony is huge, and knows video. Nikon is small but agile and have the backing of Sony fabs with tons of expertise. We are just seeing the beginning IMO. The days where canon was the only game in town are over. We win as consumers.

HaroldRJohnson

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 01:09:42 AM »
I don't find this review to be accurate, and some of the information in it is actual false.  Also, it is very emotional - why?  It's just a camera review for goodness sake.

The review is comparing a 5D3 out of the box to a GH2 that has been hacked... great review (i hope my sarcasm is coming through) ;-). 

It seems like the author is mostly upset about the price (as are lots of people).  He is mainly stating that, for the money, there are a bunch of different features that you can get on different cameras.  IE - Uncompressed 4:2:2 via HDMI.  I'm not saying I wouldn't want that in my 5D3, but add another $3000 to your GH2 set up for the AJA.  *Oh, you'll also be needing a rail support system and some Anton Bauer batteries to power the external recorder.

Also, he makes no statement as to the lenses he is using for the GH2/5D3 comparison.

I'm not going to lie, I personally would love a 1.6X crop from the sensor like on the Nikon.  That is a bummer.  But if that means I have to use Nikon glass... for get it.

Furthermore, as someone who used the 5D2 a lot for macro videography for the last 3 1/2 years...  I can say without a doubt that the "jello" rolling shutter issue is vastly VASTLY improved on the camera.

And shooting super clean 6400iso footage with the CineStyle gamma setting is great!

Go Canon! 

Harold.

HaroldRJohnson

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:12:34 AM »
Sorry I thought you linked to the EOSHD review I read of the 5D3 earlier.

prestonpalmer

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:13:51 AM »
there is no question the D800 is an awesome camera.  I am still waiting for the side by side comparison with the 5DIII. I think all of us professional photographers are...

prestonpalmer

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 02:23:12 AM »
And this...

http://www.eoshd.com/content/7551/canon-5d-mark-iii-review

My camera comes in on monday... Hrm. Time to order a D800?

Mark1

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 02:43:36 AM »
there is no question the D800 is an awesome camera.  I am still waiting for the side by side comparison with the 5DIII. I think all of us professional photographers are...

Really? Professional photographers waiting for internet reviews on 2 new bodies which will be out of date in 3 years time?

What about the lenses?

If youre invested in Canon lenses and flashes the 5D3 would have to be pretty crap to make you sell all your gear and start again with another system surely?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 02:43:36 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 02:54:42 AM »
And this...

Dont forget the lens too! How many days work will those cost you if you swap camps?

Do you seriously think the 5DIII isn't good enough for weddings???

kenraw

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:17:24 AM »
And this...

Dont forget the lens too! How many days work will those cost you if you swap camps?

Do you seriously think the 5DIII isn't good enough for weddings???

+1
The 5dk3 is still going to be king of the wedding cameras. I shoot weddings and have had mine for a couple of days and can honestly say its a beast, the AF is awesome the ISO at 6400 is incredible the camera is packed with new useful features, including a silent shooting mode that is practically silent. I'm seriously impressed.
If anyone thinks 23mp full frame suddenly isn't enough for wedding albums or massive prints, think again.
Nikon, the D800 seems like an awesome camera no doubt, but you can keep it, as I've now got my perfect camera :D

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 03:21:48 AM »
Sony is huge, and knows video.

Not as huge as Canon.

I am bored of all the wailing because there's more than one decent camera on the market. In some respect, the D800 is way ahead of the 5D3, in other respects, not so much. No, the 5D3 is not God's gift to the industry. Both the D800 and 5D3 make compromises, but both are more than up to the task of creating beautiful photos and video. There is more to life than charts and test scores. When I was a painter I didn't brag about the number of bristles on my brush.

thure1982

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 03:29:05 AM »
Seriously...
Please switch to Nikon!
Sell all you Canon-gear.
Buy a D800 and then join nikonrumors.com... log on and complaint about how you might think Canon is better.

That way we don't have to hear the complaints about a camera you haven't even tried yet.

If you HAVE a 5D3 and it $ucks badly then, please! DO tell us because it might be something wrong with it.
If not. Many of us still haven't gotten our cameras.
Many of us have been waiting years for this one, not for the Nikon-replica.

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 03:53:56 AM »
I don't find this review to be accurate, and some of the information in it is actual false.  Also, it is very emotional - why?  It's just a camera review for goodness sake.

The review is comparing a 5D3 out of the box to a GH2 that has been hacked... great review (i hope my sarcasm is coming through) ;-). 

It seems like the author is mostly upset about the price (as are lots of people).  He is mainly stating that, for the money, there are a bunch of different features that you can get on different cameras.  IE - Uncompressed 4:2:2 via HDMI.  I'm not saying I wouldn't want that in my 5D3, but add another $3000 to your GH2 set up for the AJA.  *Oh, you'll also be needing a rail support system and some Anton Bauer batteries to power the external recorder.

Also, he makes no statement as to the lenses he is using for the GH2/5D3 comparison.

I'm not going to lie, I personally would love a 1.6X crop from the sensor like on the Nikon.  That is a bummer.  But if that means I have to use Nikon glass... for get it.

Furthermore, as someone who used the 5D2 a lot for macro videography for the last 3 1/2 years...  I can say without a doubt that the "jello" rolling shutter issue is vastly VASTLY improved on the camera.

And shooting super clean 6400iso footage with the CineStyle gamma setting is great!

Go Canon! 

Harold.

i agree, but I'm also talking about the other review, i was so surprised how he jumped all over the 5D with out of the box settings and all. to get what we are getting today from the 5D and GH2 they are both essentially hacked, the 5D with the technicolor picture setting and the RGB transcoding software is the standard for professional use, do we forget that camera was delivered to us with no manual video settings and no 24p! and the GH2, well we all know how bad that delivery was, bottom line is it takes US to make them perform well, what we do with them and and what we make of them. out of the box no dslr is going to perform great, you have to know what do with all the settings for you particular application. seems to me he deliberately set off to write a bad review and purposely shot an out of the box factory settings dslr against a completely hacked camera. my first response is yeah i see that too, but i turn this off, disable this, customize my personal settings and the video seemed much better than any of the 30ish projects i shot on the previous version,no moire either... and stills, with HDR and 61 point auto focus, simply an amazing upgrade.
5D MKIII

briansquibb

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 03:56:19 AM »
It is better to do the research before you purchase rather than after

::) ::) ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 03:56:19 AM »

thure1982

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 08:24:37 AM »
It is better to do the research before you purchase rather than after

Why even consider researching Nikon for the sake of changing if you have some good L-lenses?

I don't care if Nikon puts out 100MP fullframe with zero noise att 54k ISO for half the price of a 5D3.
I still have $15k of equipment that I will never be able to sell for mor that half of what I gave.
I'm not gonna change brand I'm not handed it for free. Maybe not even then. Probably gona sell the fre Nikon-gear and by even more L-lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 08:24:37 AM »