July 30, 2014, 07:25:22 AM

Author Topic: Any thoughts on how the 5d3 will compare on dxo mark to the Nikon D800?  (Read 25297 times)

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
I was going to get the canon but am unsure of how the 5d3 will fair out on dxomark. Any thoughts. Good noiseless images at iso 12800 are my goal.
1Dx, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

briansquibb

I was going to get the canon but am unsure of how the 5d3 will fair out on dxomark. Any thoughts. Good noiseless images at iso 12800 are my goal.

Not interested in IQ or DR then?

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

your goal is unobtainable, even by Nikon.  You won't get noiseless images at 12,800.  Useable images? Depends what size you need to print.  So what does that make the DxO review?  Pretty pointless in my view.  I'm more interested in results I can see on my paper rather than pixel peeping at levels noone sane and not a geek will ever look at. 

Orion

That's a NO GOAL!

if you wanted good iso performance, then you should've been looking at the D3s a LONG time ago, if serious and had/have some money to spare. The mkIII will not dissapoint, though. ISO performance is amazing from what I can tell.

NEVERMIND DxO . . . . . . wait for dpreview and get a true worth of the camera, and save yourself the *asterisk style review of DxO. . .  then go to your nearest PRO camera shop and bring a CF card . . try out the camera . . go home and study the results . . . then decide.

takoman46

your goal is unobtainable, even by Nikon.  You won't get noiseless images at 12,800.  Useable images? Depends what size you need to print.  So what does that make the DxO review?  Pretty pointless in my view.  I'm more interested in results I can see on my paper rather than pixel peeping at levels noone sane and not a geek will ever look at.

I agree that the statistical rating presented on DxO don't mean squat in terms of what kind of images you will produce between a 5DmkIII or D800.  It would be more beneficial to rent a D800 and 5DmkIII before deciding on a purchase and use it for yourself. Shoot with it and post the photos according to your own workflow and needs, then decide on which one is the better camera for you. Not which one is the better camera.... but which one is the better camera for YOU. A tech-geek can read and absorb all the information in the world about camera gear and still not know how to produce nice photos.  ;)

XanuFoto

What happened to "Capturing the moment". Is'nt capturing a great moment with noise better than getting just a snapshot with no noise? Has technology killed good photography?

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
I guess I should have rephrased my question. Does anyone think the nikon d800 is a better all around sensor and camera than the canon 5d3 in terms of sharpness and detail at all iso's under 12,800? Basically is that a camera to consider for family photography?
1Dx, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
If somebody asks, "how is a [fill in the blank] camera performing in DR, details, noise, etc?" and majority of the forum replies by saying something like: "who cares about the camera, it is about the photographer, just take good pictures, yada yada yada." as if having a better equipment makes one worse off. As if I am a better photographer for using a 11 DR 5D3 with low(er) detail capturing ability.

Well, having a high DR, high resolution, high noise control camera does NOT mean we are losing photography. This is not a zero sum game. A better technology means better images. No question about it.

Without a doubt, D800 with lab proven DR 14+, its ISO 2800+, and a 36mpx detail totally blows its competition away. Heck, it is a $10,000 camera for less than 1/3rd price! No, good photographers will not get worse by using it... on the contrary, bad photographers might gain advantage by its cropping ability and other unmatched features.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
Without a doubt, D800 with lab proven DR 14+, its ISO 2800+, and a 36mpx detail totally blows its competition away. Heck, it is a $10,000 camera for less than 1/3rd price! No, good photographers will not get worse by using it... on the contrary, bad photographers might gain advantage by its cropping ability and other unmatched features.

Is it just the specs and lab tests of the D800 that you find so impressive, or do you find the D800's image quality equally as impressive? 

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

Is it just the specs and lab tests of the D800 that you find so impressive, or do you find the D800's image quality equally as impressive?

All of the above!

D800 has amazing samples and amazing lab results. What more can you ask for?

EvilTed

Re: Any thoughts on how the 5d3 will compare on dxo mark to the Nikon D800?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »
Dude, I ditched my D7000 and all my lenses, including the 50 F/1.8 G that I could have used on the D800 and bought a 5D MK3 and a bunch of new glass.

Do I regret it now DxO is crowning the D800 the king?
Absolutely not.
Now both are out, follow the sound advice and try each one with the lenses you know you can get.

BTW, be aware that all the good glass for Nikon is currently out of stock from every major source.
This was another reason I switched.
I think the popularity of the D800 is going to make this even worse.

ET

takoman46

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »
I guess I should have rephrased my question. Does anyone think the nikon d800 is a better all around sensor and camera than the canon 5d3 in terms of sharpness and detail at all iso's under 12,800? Basically is that a camera to consider for family photography?

Do you mean professional family portraits in a studio? Or casual family photos like you would take for fun at home or even on location professional candid shots at events?

If you're in a studio then I can see that the D800 may be the more logical choice. But if you're not in a controlled environment the 5DmkIII would be better.

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
If you're in a studio then I can see that the D800 may be the more logical choice. But if you're not in a controlled environment the 5DmkIII would be better.

I think D800 will be better than 5D3 in every category except for high burst frames. Then, again, 5D3's metering is ancient, so those bursts might be off.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 10:30:28 PM »
A non controlled environment. I am coming from a Canon 60d and the noise is terrible above 800 without a speedlite and even then way to noisy. I would hope such a leap to FF and better technology would yield much better results just unsure if the d800 is the way to go or the canon 5d3. So far I have not seen the tremendous noise free 25k iso images in reviews actually I think it drops off at 6400 and continues from there. That's not much of an increase considering they are talking native 25k iso. So I was wondering if nikon was doing the reverse and saying 6400 with a true ceiling of 12800 or at least some very detailed images below 800. I do shoot in all kinds of light so that is why iso is so important. I also need a larger DOF since usually there are more than one person in my shots.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »

All of the above!

D800 has amazing samples and amazing lab results. What more can you ask for?

Some more contrast and color. The 5DIII's files look sharper to me as well. All the D800 images I've seen so far look flat and lifeless. The D800's spec sheet is very impressive, but its images just aren't doing it for me. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm not one of those guys that gets a hard-on by blowing up an image up to 100% and oogling at the minute details that won't be reproduced in print anyways. 

My 5DIII shipped yesterday, and I'm wondering why I haven't cancelled by D800 pre-order yet. At this point, the only reason I haven't done so yet is because it's shabbat, and B&H is closed until Monday :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »