October 24, 2014, 10:58:16 PM

Author Topic: 5d3 Annoyances  (Read 7334 times)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: 5d3 Annoyances
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »
Not that I have a 5DIII, but I really like that C3 is the end of the dial on my 7D and 5DII.  My C3 setting is sort of 'OMG I've got to capture that' setting (birds in flight, etc.), and being able to just spin the dial until it stops.  I'll miss that on my 1D X.
Ditto, on my 7D it's also my 'quick, a bird!' setting.
C2 is for macros and landscapes I see while i'm wandering around forests looking for birds.
C1 is for HDRs, pre-set to 2-stop bracketing with a -2/3 centre, take 3, turn EV dial to 0 centre, take 3, turn EV dial to +2/3 centre. so within 5 seconds I can get a 9-shot HDR spread 2/3EV apart.

I find it strange that my 7D can set bracketing to a custom-mode and the 5D3 can't.
Is it only the 5/7/9-brackets that can't be set to a Cx?
Or is it the special in-camera HDR setting that can't be a Custom Mode?
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »

nikkito

• Canon 6D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »
I only have two annoyances:

• Not having a 5D Mark III yet
  • Listening to those that do complain within days of getting one

It's times like this when I miss the applaud button.

Haha me too
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 07:52:20 PM »
Ditto, on my 7D it's also my 'quick, a bird!' setting.
C2 is for macros and landscapes I see while i'm wandering around forests looking for birds.
C1 is for HDRs, pre-set to 2-stop bracketing with a -2/3 centre, take 3, turn EV dial to 0 centre, take 3, turn EV dial to +2/3 centre. so within 5 seconds I can get a 9-shot HDR spread 2/3EV apart.

I find it strange that my 7D can set bracketing to a custom-mode and the 5D3 can't.
Is it only the 5/7/9-brackets that can't be set to a Cx?
Or is it the special in-camera HDR setting that can't be a Custom Mode?

As mentioned AEB (and from 2 to 7 shots) works fine for C1-C3. It's just HDR that they actually worked extra hard to prevent from working. You're going to love the 5d3's 7-shot AEB with continuous drive...rip out that whole ladder with one instantaneous button press.

Since I feel a need to post a new annoyance with each of my comments here, next up: there is room for both the realtime histogram and the electronic level at once in the live view screen during manual mode, but additional INFO presses toggle one off and the other on. You can't tell me that the CPU just can't handle drawing both at once, right? How about letting us see both at once, so I can just set the whole shot up with no additional button presses. A minor nit.

I just love the electronic level in the optical viewfinder (settable to the M.Fn button, it uses the AF points to dynamically show you tilt and level). I really do like this camera, don't get me wrong...I just want them to fix the firmware a bit while they are still interested in it.

Oh and another one, I can RATE pictures immediately after taking them, but I can't do it with movies, I have to go into play mode. If I'm on set and we screw up or nail a take, I should be able to RATE right away, right? How about letting us RATE during the recording too? And also, what about the X Rejected rating that appears in DPP but doesn't appear in camera? And I would also love an Erase Images option that went by rating. So "Erase All Images ** and lower" etc. would be terrific...save us from using the Lock function when prioritizing storage.

Bob_McBob

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 08:13:07 PM »
Pretty minor really, but it would be nice if you could have just the selected AF point light up when focus is achieved.  They give you so many options for how the points are displayed, but for illumination it's either everything or nothing.  I like the red focus confirmation, but I find the entire viewfinder flashing red very distracting.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
Not that I have a 5DIII, but I really like that C3 is the end of the dial on my 7D and 5DII.  My C3 setting is sort of 'OMG I've got to capture that' setting (birds in flight, etc.), and being able to just spin the dial until it stops.  I'll miss that on my 1D X.
Having C1-C3 is one of the main reasons that I prefer to shoot with my 7D or my 1D4 when there is plenty of available light (the other is the extra reach). You will miss this more than you know :)

Well...the 1D X does have C1-C3 modes (a first for the 1-series), just no dial to select them. I've read that one of the paired buttons on the front can be assigned to Custom Modes, I'm just not sure it'll be as easy as the dial (might be push the assigned button, spin main dial to select which C mode, press ok or some such - time will tell).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
And I would also love an Erase Images option that went by rating. So "Erase All Images ** and lower" etc. would be terrific...save us from using the Lock function when prioritizing storage.

Brilliant!  :D
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

EvilTed

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 09:59:44 PM »
It's too light, too dinky and with the the 24-105 kit lens, horribly unbalanced.
Definitely designed for small hands.

Apart from that, I kinda like it :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 09:59:44 PM »

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 10:51:08 PM »
It looks like using HTP causes pattern noise in smooth areas of the image. I noticed it today when photographs I took showed streaky skies. I had HTP on, ISO 200. Shockingly noisy skies. I don't have a non-HTP shot for comparison, but another person told me he saw the same thing. Turning HTP off fixed it.

MichaelTheMaven

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 03:38:54 AM »
Im loving the 5Diii. Something I am really struggling with though are the zooming features, having moved from the thumb buttons to the left side of the camera. Even knowing this, Im still trying to press those thumb buttons.

M

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 03:45:38 AM »
I've read that one of the paired buttons on the front can be assigned to Custom Modes

Well, if you're lucky you can set one front-button just to go straight to 'OMG a bird!' mode, you could be there before the viewfinder's at your eye, with one hand even...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

RileyJoseph

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 01:39:05 PM »
I find it annoying they included an in-camera HDR feature.. the last thing anyone wants to do is encourage people to do HDRs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 01:39:05 PM »