October 02, 2014, 02:50:19 AM

Author Topic: 5d3 Annoyances  (Read 7245 times)

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
5d3 Annoyances
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:47:04 AM »
This thread is intended for specific things Canon should be able to fix (easily?) in firmware updates.

I'll kick it off with an obvious one: Why can't HDR shooting be set as C1, C2 or C3 on the mode dial? The most natural thing I would want is to be able to just turn the mode dial to C3 and get an HDR shot...it would give me similar ability to AEB plus a nifty HDR shot ready made to ogle at. But not only will the custom mode not auto-update in HDR mode, it also grays out the whole custom mode menu item. Why? Who knows why? Why force us to menu dive to pull an HDR shot?

canon rumors FORUM

5d3 Annoyances
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:47:04 AM »

prestonpalmer

Re: 5d3 Annoyances
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 02:18:19 AM »
LOL!

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:43:44 AM »
It's a relief that at least the SET button can be made into the magnifier. But why can't pressing down on the multi-controller (aka "joystick") be the magnifier/focus assist? All it can be is AF direct point selection in the custom controls settings. If press down on the joystick was magnify, you wouldn't have to reposition your thumb to the joystick to move the magnification around. Really this is obvious and suggests a rush to market (over a 3.5 year period?).

Unbelievable they won't let the old buttons work for focus assist/digital zoom...but I think their rationale is based on getting people away from those buttons because they are going to replace them with a proper video autofocus system. But it's a generation too early to wean people off those buttons. Let the people work the way they want to. Which btw includes focus assist during video recording!

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:36:05 AM »
Why force us to menu dive to pull an HDR shot?
Because it's a gimmick?

JerryKnight

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:35:08 AM »
Right now, my only annoyance is that they didn't release the BG-E11 at the same time as the 5D3. All of my other SLR's have had the grip, and it just feels wrong without it.

I tried it, and you're right. Canon deliberately went out of their way to prevent the custom settings from retaining the HDR setting. It's okay for me, because the delay when it processes the HDR means I can't be in a hurry anyways. At least AEB can be stored in C1-C3.

I do wish that they would have moved the BULB mode past C1-C3. I use it sometimes, but not as often as I would C1, and the chance that I miss and leave it in BULB is too great. I'm still getting used to the locking mode wheel, but I can't count the number of times I've accidentally changed the mode on my 5D2, so it's a welcomed addition.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
I only have two annoyances:

• Not having a 5D Mark III yet
  • Listening to those that do complain within days of getting one

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:02:25 PM »
I agree on the HDR thing... why cripple it...?

Many of my shots are not as sharp as I would expect from a 22mp cam... then again I have no reference points except the 5dc I had... Shots are good to ok, but I need to sharpen in PP to get decent results...

On the other hand, I got a shot of a UFO... yes Zerg Guardians do exist !!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:20:22 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:02:25 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
I do wish that they would have moved the BULB mode past C1-C3. I use it sometimes, but not as often as I would C1, and the chance that I miss and leave it in BULB is too great.

Not that I have a 5DIII, but I really like that C3 is the end of the dial on my 7D and 5DII.  My C3 setting is sort of 'OMG I've got to capture that' setting (birds in flight, etc.), and being able to just spin the dial until it stops.  I'll miss that on my 1D X.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 12:42:34 PM »

It's times like this when I miss the applaud button.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

JerryKnight

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
I do wish that they would have moved the BULB mode past C1-C3. I use it sometimes, but not as often as I would C1, and the chance that I miss and leave it in BULB is too great.

Not that I have a 5DIII, but I really like that C3 is the end of the dial on my 7D and 5DII.  My C3 setting is sort of 'OMG I've got to capture that' setting (birds in flight, etc.), and being able to just spin the dial until it stops.  I'll miss that on my 1D X.

That's a good point. You can put your "go to" settings in C3 and turn the mode dial all the way clock-wise without looking. I guess I was thinking going one notch from M to C1 and back.

My thought is that if you're shooting BULB, you're definitely on a tripod and it's probably an elaborately set-up shot, so why does the camera mode have to be right next to M? Put it in the menus, or the other direction past the "green square" mode. I like BULB when I use it, but I don't need it to be that accessible.

Still, Canon did really well in my book if this is the only thing that remotely annoys me.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »

It's times like this when I miss the applaud button.

+10  ;D

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 03:36:29 PM »
A complaint is a gift, and the camera will not be improved if complaints are not aired and discussed. Which hurts Canon and you. If a courtesy period was observed for complaints, few would remember to post them later, just resigning themselves to "that's the way things are."

Now then, the next annoyance:

The Silent Control feature during movie shooting is a terrific idea, but really only currently makes sense for audio control. The reason is the exposure controls are not graduated in effect: the picture suddenly shifts from one ISO or aperture to another. While I understand shutter speed might be hard to ramp up and down, aperture and sensor gain (ISO) should be able to have smooth ramping functions applied to them. This might get a little tricky with different lenses' implementations of aperture control (I have no idea) but at least sensor gain should be rampable because the non-whole-EV ISO's (e.g. 320 or 640) are non-native pull-up/pull-down implementations as I understand it and therefore Canon ought to be able to create a ramping function in software that ramps up to nearly a whole stop of gain before switching to the native ISO of the next stop up. With a ramp speed parameter (say 10ms-1s).

Not as easy a change as my first two but it would really be a big positive impact in getting around our lack of manual (and declicked) aperture controls on Canon glass. Sure Canon will say "just buy the Cinema lenses" but no one shooting 5d3 has the money for such things. And it's in Canon's financial interest to complete this incomplete feature, to stave off people buying the Samyang declicked/cine lenses.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:38:18 PM by peederj »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Thornmill Images
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »

So you can't set Cases under the Exposure Mode button on the 1D X

How can you setup Cases on the 1D X?

5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »

I do the exact same thing.. f/2.8, 1/500s, Auto ISO, Ai Servo, All AF points... That is my OMG setting.

6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

smirkypants

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »
Having C1-C3 is one of the main reasons that I prefer to shoot with my 7D or my 1D4 when there is plenty of available light (the other is the extra reach). You will miss this more than you know :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »