October 01, 2014, 07:22:38 AM

Author Topic: Upgrading from crop sensor.  (Read 1871 times)

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Upgrading from crop sensor.
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:44:56 AM »
I currently own a 600D/T3I.
I am wanting to move up to a full frame camera.
I shoot photos as well as video.
My question is, is the 5d3 really worth the extra money over the 5d2?
Personally, if I had a 5d2 I would NOT upgrade. But since I'm on a cropped sensor in need of an upgrade Im thinking "why not the best upgrade in my bracket)
Im hearing so many bad stories about quality of this new 5d3 though.
The reason why Im unsure between the two is this.
Better AF(if Im upgrading why go with half an upgrade).
5d2 doesn't do 1080p(but Im also hearing that the 5d3 also isn't 1080p. but more so just stretched pixels)
better low light performance in 5d3(yet Im hearing that is only the case with in camera processed jpgs)
5d2 can be bought refurbished for 2100 while the 5d3 will cost 3500.
Decisions decisions. I hear so many people talk about upgrading from 5d2 to 5d3.
Thats not to far of an upgrade. But the differences between a 5d3 and a t3i are plenty!
With that said, does one pay the extra cash for a HUGE upgrade from a t3i
or save almost 1500 and make a big upgrade(to the 5d2) from the t3i?
iPhone 4s camera

canon rumors FORUM

Upgrading from crop sensor.
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:44:56 AM »

Actionpix

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading from crop sensor.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:39:01 AM »
Personaly I would go for the 5DIII. I had to shoot a few times with the 5DII and I realy was not happy with the autofocus. Can you explain why you would like Full frame?

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:06:45 AM »
I currently own a 600D/T3I.
I am wanting to move up to a full frame camera.
I shoot photos as well as video.
My question is, is the 5d3 really worth the extra money over the 5d2?
Personally, if I had a 5d2 I would NOT upgrade. But since I'm on a cropped sensor in need of an upgrade Im thinking "why not the best upgrade in my bracket)
Im hearing so many bad stories about quality of this new 5d3 though.
The reason why Im unsure between the two is this.
Better AF(if Im upgrading why go with half an upgrade).
5d2 doesn't do 1080p(but Im also hearing that the 5d3 also isn't 1080p. but more so just stretched pixels)
better low light performance in 5d3(yet Im hearing that is only the case with in camera processed jpgs)
5d2 can be bought refurbished for 2100 while the 5d3 will cost 3500.
Decisions decisions. I hear so many people talk about upgrading from 5d2 to 5d3.
Thats not to far of an upgrade. But the differences between a 5d3 and a t3i are plenty!
With that said, does one pay the extra cash for a HUGE upgrade from a t3i
or save almost 1500 and make a big upgrade(to the 5d2) from the t3i?

If you make money out of photography , than no dout upgrade to 5D3. If you want the camera just for personal use , than a 5D2 or a 7D is more than enough.

briansquibb

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 06:19:31 AM »

If you make money out of photography , than no dout upgrade to 5D3. If you want the camera just for personal use , than a 5D2 or a 7D is more than enough.

Another 'he is an amateur he only needs a low spec camera' comment.

There is no fixed requirement for amateurs - their needs vary from the 1000D to the 1DX.

CanonCameraFan

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 06:24:06 AM »
If it's features only you're after rather than improved IQ then I'd seriously consider installing Magic Lantern and keeping your current camera for the time being until the dust has settled and we really begin to see the benefits (or not) of the 5D Mark iii. I'm in a similar position with the 550D. I can't see a logical upgrade. Sure the 5D mark ii is a much better camera but the technology is old. Even though there is the light advantage with FF it's going back to a 35 zone metering system and the 9 point autofocus has no advantages over my 550D, though it probably covers a wider area. The 63 zone system is way better IMHO. I looked at the 7D, which has lots of bells and whistles and a much better autofocus system but not sure it's what I'm really looking for. On the other hand magic lantern has the tweaks I want in the short term - more ISO control, selectable colour temperature control in Kelvin and control over the focus patterns, plus one or two other stills features. But you said you shoot video and Magic Lantern has soooooooooooo many tweaks available. For the cost of a donation - or totally free if you don't want to donate you could have some real pro features. In the short term that could be the solution and it will save you a fortune, until you're 100% sure what to go for.

The only thing putting me off ML is the uninstallation process. I don't think I quite understand it. My camera is still under warranty so I need to know I (and I mean I, not someone else) can remove all traces, just in case.

VASH1291

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 06:55:55 AM »
I would wait until the 5D Mark III has been reviewed and if your still finding it hard to justify over the Mark II maybe wait a while and see how much the pricing falls after the initial rush.

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 07:17:07 AM »
One point nobody has brought up is what lens do you currently have?  If you don't have any lens besides the kit lens, then you might be better off putting money into lenses than getting the 5dmk3.

The other option is to wait a few eweeks to see if canon releases a cinema poised dSLR at NAB which might be more to your liking.
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 07:17:07 AM »

larryf

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:31:15 AM »
I was in the same situation.  I had  a 7D but wanted to upgrade to full frame and started looking at the 5D in Jan/Feb.  After reading about the Mark III I decided to wait.  I got my Mark III on Friday and couldn't be happier.

I also considered the Mark II but the idea of buying a 4 year old camera didn't thrill me.  Also, the Mark II didn't have some of the things I was use to in the 7D (i.e. movie/still switch one-button record on the back, on/off switch by the mode knob, less autofocus sensitivity, etc.).

I didn't have any EF-S lenses either, only EF, so upgrading only cost me the body. All my batteries even fit! I am very pleased with the 5D so far and would definitely do it again.

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »
If I were in your shoes I'd buy the 5D3 in a heartbeat!   Obviously you have the money, you do not need to justify it to anyone--unless maybe your spouse.  You do not need to be a pro, you do not need to make money from photog, you just need a passion for photog like most of us CRers.   Do you need a 5D3 or FF body for that matter?  Probably not, but so what. 

I have a 7D and a few nice lens, I'm happy with all my gear.   I do not have funds for a FF body yet, but I plan on adding (not replacing or "upgrading"), to one when I can.   The hard part will be justifying it to my wife, 3 plus grand is a lot of money to me.  What the hell, its my hobby, my passion, my escape in life.   

I suggest skipping the 5D2 and go straight to 5D3 if your heart is set on it otherwise you will always wish you did.  Yes, a 5D2 will save you some bucks for another lens, but who says that you can't get that lens a little later?

Even though I'm not in in the market for a FF, what I'm reading about the 5D3 sounds like an awesome piece of technology.  And I do understand some of the disappointments that many have posted. 

Get your 5D3 and enjoy!   :)

Edit:  Don't get to hung up on all the negative comments on the 5D3.  It seems most of the neg comments are due to disappointments in expectations and not defects or some other product problem.  Like I mentioned, I honestly understand and in some cases agree with many of the comments and disappointments.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:56:55 AM by RC »

publiux

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
I upgraded from a T3i to a 5DM3. I do not regret my decision, even for a split second.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »