July 24, 2014, 11:58:42 PM

Author Topic: Camera camouflage?  (Read 2200 times)

kidnaper

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Camera camouflage?
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »
I've seen and heard of people taping up their cameras to hide the brand or model before, but today alone on this forum I've seen it mentioned twice. This link http://www.ontakingpictures.com/2012/03/canon-5d-mark-iii-hands-on/ the first picture (attached) he has taped both of his cameras, and another response in another thread someone went as far as suggesting tape over the red ring.
So I ask you, do you cover up what kind of camera you're using? I just can't see it being a big deal in terms of stoping camera theft. Sure there's a handful of people out for a specific free camera but I'm under the impression that to most camera thieves any camera will do if it's easy.
If you do cover up the brand and/or model for other reasons, what are they?
5DIII 8-200mm minus 35mm in there.

canon rumors FORUM

Camera camouflage?
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
Re: Camera camouflage?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 12:26:16 PM »
He isn't doing it to stop camera theft. He is just stupid.
Read the comments below the review.
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

JerryKnight

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 12:42:02 PM »
Don't know about this article, but I personally do it to keep "Uncle Bob's" from interrogating me at weddings.

"So, whatcha shootin' with?" Nothing, while you're here bugging me...  :)

Seriously, I'll be polite and say a few words to them, but I'm not being paid to give photography advice and equipment reviews. I'll probably tape the "Mark III" on my 5D3 at the next wedding since it's especially new.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:52:05 PM by JerryKnight »

kidnaper

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »
He isn't doing it to stop camera theft. He is just stupid.
Read the comments below the review.

Yeah, I know he isn't avoiding theft and I don't mean to put this poster on blast, but this is the post I mentioned in my original.
"2.  Cut 1/4" wide strips that will fit around the shiny black/red ring circumference on your black L lenses and protect them when they rest/touch on a table, etc and hide the red ring from potential thieves.  (Also, put a small piece over the 5D and Mark III logos on the body too!)"
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,4704.msg94795.html#msg94795

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:45:26 AM »
I think this is a total waste of time. I have traveled the third world and major cities and believe only Nikon/Canon fan boys would be looking for particular models or red rings. In poor countries just the fact you have the money to travel there for fun makes you wealthy enough to rob for robbers. Having a big honking expensive camera with a piece of gaffers tape protecting you is a kind of funny image.

If you go to the wrong neighborhoods or are out at night alone you run the same risk you fun in any major world city. Tape or no tape.

BillWadman

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »
Since you guys are talking about me, I thought I'd chime in.

The real reason I tape my cameras is that I'm a one-on-one portrait photographer and I do a lot of work for magazines where the subjects are not used to getting their picture taken.

I often get 10-15 minutes with very busy people and have found that the fewer distractions there are on the front of the camera the more I can the subjects to look into the lens.

It's not about looking cool, or keeping it safe from pick-pockets, it's about efficiency.
And if you still think that I'm 'stupid' akiskev, well then you can't make everyone happy all the time.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »
Bill, hope no one is directly calling you or your actions stupid... I dont nor have ever taped my lenses/camera professionally, it never has been an issue with conversations... I could see in a rush style environment were you want to maximize your time shooting and not so much talk, I can see your point, however from my experience, most the "gear heads" who want to talk to me about my gear on a photoshoot are more into talking about my lenses used rather than bodies... so if ever needed, i'd have to cover the lens info and that nice shiny beautiful red ring rather than the body, but that's just me... But until that ever becomes an issue where it slows me down, i'll leave it as-is. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »

kidnaper

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
Sorry to bring you into this, Bill, your post was just the most recent example I had of people taping their cameras. Thanks for everyones input, I wouldn't think the tape would dissuade a thief as I can't see them stumbling upon a camera they think they could lift and thinking "pfffft it's just an XTi..." Much like de-badging a car I like the sleek look of an unlabeled body so I was curious why others would have done so.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:23:24 PM »
How about doing something to camouflage Big White Lenses? Worthwhile from the perspective of trying to be more subtle and not get noticed as much?
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:23:24 PM »