November 26, 2014, 05:11:55 PM

Author Topic: 5Diii ISO and Portrait Tests  (Read 5167 times)

MichaelTheMaven

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
5Diii ISO and Portrait Tests
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:36:30 AM »
Got my camera on friday, and have already done a series of tests;

ISO Test - Compares 5Diii, 5Dii, and 7D: http://www.michaelthemaven.com/?postID=2262&canon-5diii-vs-5dii-vs-7d-high-iso-noise-tests

Portrait Tests - Samples and Direct Comparison with 5Dii:http://www.michaelthemaven.com/?postID=2264&canon-5diii-portrait-tests-5diii-vs-5dii

Enjoy!

MM

canon rumors FORUM

5Diii ISO and Portrait Tests
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:36:30 AM »

KimH

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: 5Diii ISO and Portrait Tests
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 05:00:32 AM »
Great set of comparisons - but - did you mix-up the sequence in the Wide App - DOF in your "answers" - i clearly like the control in left picture best. Had to ask....

Also like the model :)

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 06:08:25 AM »
Very nice and informative comparison. Thanks! Beautiful lady as well....

smirkypants

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 07:10:32 AM »
Please send over your model so that I may corroborate your test results. Thank you.  8)

af744

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »
Very nice, indeed and thanks for sharing! I notice you're using both the 24-70L and 50L: I have the 24-70L and 16-35L and currently considering the 24LII or 35L, does any of the two primes 'pay their way' onto the camera bag compared to the 24-70L for bokeh & wide aperture in your eyes? Any wothwhile benefit?

The 24-70L and 16-35L are ok wide open for portrait (or to insolate objects), but very far from the 135L wide open.

Thank you,
Alain

scruffysaint

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »
It's when I see low light shots like this that I feel encouraged about my mk3 purchase.

http://www.ryanbrenizer.com/2012/03/one-from-today-with-the-canon-5d-mark-iii/

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »
This thread is useless without the model's phone number ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »

Ryant

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
First off i really appreciate your testing the cameras side by side in a real world test.

The portrait tests concerns me. I sold my mark 2 and have a mark 3 coming in a couple days. At high iOS the new camera looks good, but in your real world tests the color and detail look like it is worse than the mark 2. For example the last photo of the guy you took. His blue shirt looks blown out and has way less detail than the mark 2. At first I thought it was over exposed but his face looks about the same exposure. The same goes for the pictures of the woman, to my eye it looks like there is way less detail in her hair.

Maybe we need to under expose then push up other areas in Lightroom now? But even then the detail looks like it is being lost, maybe its a jpg issue?

MichaelTheMaven

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

Yes the wide ap DOF test is correct, that is the 5Dii on the left and the 5Diii on the right....crazy huh?

Something I am noticing on the 5Diii vs the 5Dii - The 5Dii seems to like reds and magentas a little more, the 5Diii seems to, I hate to say this...like "greens" a little more. Take that with a grain of salt because I am shooting JPEG with AWB, but yes, in the portrait test, High ISO test, and wide aperture test, there is clearly something different going on with either the white balance or color sampling. I still think the 5Dii looks really, really good.

Something else I have noticed several times (and I didnt mention this in my reviews because I cant be certain of it) - In ISOs between 100-400, it seems as if the overall exposure of the 5Dii is brighter than the 5Diii by about a 1/2 stop. There were several times on the shoot, I literally switched lenses onto either camera body, same exact settings and shooting conditions, and the 5Dii looked brighter.

Over an ISO of 500 however, this is not the case, and when shooting JPEG, some really crazy stuff (good stuff) starts happening on the 5Diii- Ill be posting another review on this soon. Suffice it to say that between 500 and 640 ISO a different algorithm kicks in if you are using ISO noise reduction, and the noise between 640-1250 on the 5Diii is very comparable to much lower ISOs on the 5Diii.

I did another shoot with the model (Annie) yesterday for the review video and Ill be posting on my blog soon. (www.michaelthemaven.com She wanted me to tell everyone hi and thank you for the nice comments.

In the mean time, you guys might be interested in the youtube review I did- Just kind of a quick run through on what I like, dont like etc. Canon 5Diii Review - Is it worth the extra cost? 5Diii vs 5Dii vs 7D

M

PS- I have and use the 24 and 35 Primes, they are both wonderful and I use them both equally, but if I had to choose, I would go with the 24mm 1.4

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

Yes the wide ap DOF test is correct, that is the 5Dii on the left and the 5Diii on the right....crazy huh?

Something I am noticing on the 5Diii vs the 5Dii - The 5Dii seems to like reds and magentas a little more, the 5Diii seems to, I hate to say this...like "greens" a little more. Take that with a grain of salt because I am shooting JPEG with AWB, but yes, in the portrait test, High ISO test, and wide aperture test, there is clearly something different going on with either the white balance or color sampling. I still think the 5Dii looks really, really good.

Something else I have noticed several times (and I didnt mention this in my reviews because I cant be certain of it) - In ISOs between 100-400, it seems as if the overall exposure of the 5Dii is brighter than the 5Diii by about a 1/2 stop. There were several times on the shoot, I literally switched lenses onto either camera body, same exact settings and shooting conditions, and the 5Dii looked brighter.

Over an ISO of 500 however, this is not the case, and when shooting JPEG, some really crazy stuff (good stuff) starts happening on the 5Diii- Ill be posting another review on this soon. Suffice it to say that between 500 and 640 ISO a different algorithm kicks in if you are using ISO noise reduction, and the noise between 640-1250 on the 5Diii is very comparable to much lower ISOs on the 5Diii.

I did another shoot with the model (Annie) yesterday for the review video and Ill be posting on my blog soon. (www.michaelthemaven.com She wanted me to tell everyone hi and thank you for the nice comments.

In the mean time, you guys might be interested in the youtube review I did- Just kind of a quick run through on what I like, dont like etc. Canon 5Diii Review - Is it worth the extra cost? 5Diii vs 5Dii vs 7D

M

PS- I have and use the 24 and 35 Primes, they are both wonderful and I use them both equally, but if I had to choose, I would go with the 24mm 1.4

Interesting you didn't mention the issue with the dark focus point for dark wedding receptions. It doesn't flash red when you start focus like the mark II. Thats the one biggest peeve i have with this camera. And yea, that darn zoom button. And for me the power switch location is annoying. But i otherwise adore the camera!
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

MichaelTheMaven

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 04:42:12 AM »
@ TCapp- Its there, you just have to turn it on:

--Magenta Tab, 5th (last) sub menu- under "VF Display Illumination"

Best wishes

M

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »
@ TCapp- Its there, you just have to turn it on:

--Magenta Tab, 5th (last) sub menu- under "VF Display Illumination"

Best wishes

M

How? I've tried!
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »