December 22, 2014, 02:28:29 AM

Author Topic: Can AFMA be used with non-Canon lenses? on a 5d mk.iii ?  (Read 1956 times)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Can AFMA be used with non-Canon lenses? on a 5d mk.iii ?
« on: March 25, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »
Never had / used AFMA before the 5D iii so insights would be helpful.

There are 2 modes of  AFMA, overall for all lenses and for specific lenses. When I use a Sigma lens, it will let me chnag ethe AFMA values but at the menu level disables AFMA. However I am wondering if it will apply AFMA if I chose first option of setting for "All Lenses"...

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks!
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

Can AFMA be used with non-Canon lenses? on a 5d mk.iii ?
« on: March 25, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Can AFMA be used with non-Canon lenses? on a 5d mk.iii ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:54:21 AM »
AFMA should work with 3rd party lenses (it does on previous cameras).  You want setting 2: Adjust by lens. What do you mean by 'disables AFMA at the menu level'?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »
Never had / used AFMA before the 5D iii so insights would be helpful.

There are 2 modes of  AFMA, overall for all lenses and for specific lenses. When I use a Sigma lens, it will let me chnag ethe AFMA values but at the menu level disables AFMA. However I am wondering if it will apply AFMA if I chose first option of setting for "All Lenses"...

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

You can have AFMA by individual Lens or for all lenses, but not both.  Turn one method on, and the other must be turned off.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
When I try by lens and a sigma lens, the AFMA sets itself to "disable" and I cannot get it out of there... thats at a higher/menu level. The at a detail level, I can set overall for all lens or individual by lens. AFMA will let me tweak/ set these levels even though at a upper/ higher/ header / menu level, is keeps saying disabled.

I thought that by using the All lens setting (even though disabled) When i set my 15-30mm to +5, I got sharper pics... but I am not sure I am. Perhap more testing is required, but before that I just wanted to ask around and see if AFMA works with non-Canon lenses.

Thanks again!
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »
When I try by lens and a sigma lens, the AFMA sets itself to "disable" and I cannot get it out of there... thats at a higher/menu level. The at a detail level, I can set overall for all lens or individual by lens. AFMA will let me tweak/ set these levels even though at a upper/ higher/ header / menu level, is keeps saying disabled.

I thought that by using the All lens setting (even though disabled) When i set my 15-30mm to +5, I got sharper pics... but I am not sure I am. Perhap more testing is required, but before that I just wanted to ask around and see if AFMA works with non-Canon lenses.

Thanks again!

I'm still a bit confused by what you mean.

On 50D,7D,5D2 it definitely works for third party lenses the exact same way it does for Canon lenses.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »
It has worked for third party models on previous bodies.  A third party camera lens merely sends information to the camera identifying itself as a Canon lens. 

The 5D MK III now also looks at the serial AFMA ignored the serial number, but to be able to have different AFMA values for different lenses of the same model, it now saves the serial number.

This might be a big deal to many third party lens owners, I hope its not true.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:53:43 PM »
I asked Bryan at the Digital Picture what he had seen.  Here is his response.

I just AFMA'd three third party lenses on my 5D III. The Sigma 50mm Macro, Sigma 105mm OS Macro and Tokina 16-28 were all able to be setup for AFMA on my 5D III. The 5D III was not able to determine the serial number of these lenses of course. Best regards, Bryan http://www.The-Digital-Picture.com 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:53:43 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:31:25 AM »
I asked Bryan at the Digital Picture what he had seen.  Here is his response.

I just AFMA'd three third party lenses on my 5D III. The Sigma 50mm Macro, Sigma 105mm OS Macro and Tokina 16-28 were all able to be setup for AFMA on my 5D III. The 5D III was not able to determine the serial number of these lenses of course. Best regards, Bryan http://www.The-Digital-Picture.com 

Thanks!! Will try again now that I know it's not going to be a futile exercise :)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:31:25 AM »