October 20, 2014, 06:10:30 PM

Author Topic: Mirrorless Camera & New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]  (Read 43729 times)

thejoyofsobe

Re: Mirrorless Camera & New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 05:19:21 PM »
It only makes sense to have a line of less-than-5D3 FF frame DSLRs out there. without it the only source of customers who NEED to purchase EF lenses are owners of $3500+ bodies.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 05:19:21 PM »

Heidrun

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 05:22:29 PM »
If it had
36 mp
5 pictures pr second
96% viewfinder
Autofocus like 5D mk III
And iso up to 12800
I would be very happy

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 05:30:26 PM »
If it had
36 mp
5 pictures pr second
96% viewfinder
Autofocus like 5D mk III
And iso up to 12800
I would be very happy

I think we'll be seeing something close to this, although with that high MP an FPS burst of 3-4 will be more realistic.  The d800 has certainly cramped Canon's style -- this "entry level FF body" is likely their response. 

I look forward to seeing what it is!

stabmasterasron

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »
If it had
36 mp
5 pictures pr second
96% viewfinder
Autofocus like 5D mk III
And iso up to 12800
I would be very happy

I think we'll be seeing something close to this, although with that high MP an FPS burst of 3-4 will be more realistic.  The d800 has certainly cramped Canon's style -- this "entry level FF body" is likely their response. 

Really?  This would be entry level?  This would be different than 5D mk iii , but this rumor is talking about an "entry level" FF.  I assume entry level means something less (in specs and price) than the 5Dmkiii.  The camera you are describing is not a lesser camera than the 5Dmkiii.  You are compromising fps, but increasing MP - to me an even trade.

I expect to start to see FF going much further down the food chain, to start to really differentiate the entry level dslr's from the mirrorless systems.  I would not be surprised to see the day when all dslr's are FF and all mirrorless are aps-c sized sensors.   Maybe this is canon's plan to keep the ef-s lenses useful - create an aps-c mirrorless system and make all dslr's FF.  Just my 3 cents.

Doodah

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
I like where Canon is going. :)

hammar

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Erik Hammar
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
Isn't there a problem with moving FF down in lower segments due to the EF-S lenses? I guess Canon wants to continue selling these for their xxD and xxxD?

Another question regarding SD and CF cards: I just ordered a Mark III and will have the option of continue using the CF cards I now use in my Mark II or start using SD (I have no reason to use both).

Should I buy SD or CF? I imagine CF cards are more durable? Only reason for SD as far as I know at this moment is that I can use them in my MBP.

Sorry for off topic :)
blog.erikhammar.se
5D3, 24/1.4 II, 24-70/2.8 II, 40/2.8

VASH1291

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »
I would definitely love to see what Canon's mirrorless offering is going to be like.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
I'm not interested in a Full Frame Mirrorless!
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »
For me, the main selling point of mirrorless cameras is the small size and weight. I see no advantage of a mirrorless camera for sports, BIF, etc, a DSLR would be better for these uses.

A small/light APS-C mirrorless camera using APS-C only lenses, from 20mm to 85mm would be perfect for PJ, street, editorial portrait and fashion, event and all around hand-held photography. To me it makes no sense to have a 12 Oz camera (a Sony NEX 7 weighs 10.3 Oz) and a 36.16 Oz EF 85mm f/1.2 lens, YMMV.

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 06:17:08 PM »

Should I buy SD or CF? I imagine CF cards are more durable? Only reason for SD as far as I know at this moment is that I can use them in my MBP.

We shot some tests on Wed, the 21st. A class 10 SD card worked fine for both stills and video.

lintoni

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
There's no such thing as an "entry level" full-frame camera...makes zero sense marketing/business wise.  The Cine-DSLR will obviously be full-frame.  I can see a market for a 1DsMkIII-esque studio replacement in terms of a 3D/4D high MP monster but not suggesting that is coming, however much more market for that than cannibalizing the investment Canon has made in the 60D, 7D (7D II) etc. with a $2,400 full frame camera...UNLESS it shot only stills which would make no sense really given phones are shooting 1080P video now.  The 5D3 is the "entry-level" full-frame camera if you want to use that term; and the 1Dx is the flagship full-frame camera, certainly room in between them for a studio, high MP body.  There will not be a 5DX, that was a creation of this site I think, not seen anything from Canon on a "5DX", the Cine-4K DSLR is not going to be in the 5D line, it is meant for an entirely different market, the market it was announced at, Hollywood, with the C-300.  There will not be a <$3000 full frame camera from Canon this year, period...if ever.

I have JUST bought a digital camera... the 5D3.  The only reason I've got it now was because I've just come into a bit of money.  I could've afforded a digital SLR previously, but not a full frame model and did not want an APS sensor camera.  Personally speaking, I would've joined the digital bandwagon years ago if there had been a decent full frame SLR at an affordable (for me) price.  Shooting stills only makes perfect sense - this would be a camera aimed at photographers.  Talking about what an iphone can/can't do is irrelevant.  Didn't I read recently about a 40+MP phone camera?  How many photographers are going to be dumping their kit in order to use the camera attached to a phone?
EOS 5D iii, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, 550EX, Magic Lantern

Window Frame

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »
I wonder if/how this will affect video mode, if it's included.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2012, 07:16:14 PM »
If Canon came out with a budget ($2000) 36 mp camera I'm not sure that it would be a good idea.  A scaled back performance model with a 36mp sensor.  It ain't gonna happen (having said that I'm still picking pieces of hat out of my teeth after I told someone else on another forum that I'd eat my hat if Nikon brought out a 36mp D800 it didn't taste nice either!;) ). 

I'm not even sure I'd want it to happen.  Diffraction and distortion anyone?

D_Rochat

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, 07:18:55 PM »
I believe it will be almost a stripped down version of the 5D III for studio/landscape.
Well, then it will be very important that the camera can produce a wide amount of DR. Preferably as good as the D800 DR.

I dont think Canon has the tech for this right now.

I agree about the DR. I don't believe the 5DIII is a true competitor for the D800 and I think this new one will be. I don't understand why you think Canon doesn't have the tech to build a high mp sensor with good DR. For all we know, they may have been working on one for quite some time and waiting to release it.

People are getting too hung up on the term entry level. Think of it as a lower cost FF rather than entry level. A plasticky rebel type FF isn't going to make it into the xD line. This is their "Pro" line not consumer line. I believe this will be a direct D800 competitor and they will under cut Nikon's pricing and piss in their cornflakes. Their timing kind of sucks though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, 07:18:55 PM »

Akil Ramiah Kahlil Ifill

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »
If it had
36 mp
5 pictures pr second
96% viewfinder
Autofocus like 5D mk III
And iso up to 12800
I would be very happy

Really?  This would be entry level?  This would be different than 5D mk iii , but this rumor is talking about an "entry level" FF.  I assume entry level means something less (in specs and price) than the 5Dmkiii.  The camera you are describing is not a lesser camera than the 5Dmkiii.  You are compromising fps, but increasing MP - to me an even trade.

I expect to start to see FF going much further down the food chain, to start to really differentiate the entry level dslr's from the mirrorless systems.  I would not be surprised to see the day when all dslr's are FF and all mirrorless are aps-c sized sensors.   Maybe this is canon's plan to keep the ef-s lenses useful - create an aps-c mirrorless system and make all dslr's FF.  Just my 3 cents.

I have registered to this forum only seconds ago and I have been reading for years.

A low cost full frame DSLR is the way to go.
Let's face it. Mirrorless cameras are the way forward for most companies.
Full Frame is the size of Film sensors used back in the day before they were even APS-C bodies.
Canon may be seeing years ahead in the future and made a decision to introduce more Full Frame making it more affordable thus separating the Pro's from the Amateurs....Also after many said that they will not introduce a mirrorless camera....Well, they are!

Canon won't be making as many Rebels as they did in the past and they must remain at the #1 position for Professional Camera users. Remember the 5D MKII broke many records when it was launched!

This will do the same!

Thank You for making me apart of this forum I love.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 07:45:14 PM »
The big question is what sensor will go in an entry level full frame camera. Will Canon reuse the 18MP sensor from the 1DX in order to cut down on R&D costs or will a completely new sensor go in it?

The balancing factor here is that less experienced photographers appreciate more megapixels for greater crop flexibility to compensate for their ability to not quite get the framing right all of the time.

Quite clearly, Canon cannot put the 5D2's sensor in it because customers will balk at the idea of buying technology that is already 4 years old (there is some of this sentiment already with the 5D3.)

If the comments about the 7D being a "one-off" camera are true (and that there will be no 7D Mark II) then that opens up the "numbering" for Canon to have an 8D or 9D as a full frame camera.

The rule of thumb then becomes that an xD camera has a full frame sensor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 07:45:14 PM »