December 07, 2016, 03:29:59 PM

Author Topic: Mirrorless Camera & New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]  (Read 60041 times)

sphax

Re: Mirrorless Camera & New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2012, 04:09:27 AM »
There is definitely a market for a $2000 full frame camera.

Yes ... and the 5DII covers this market already.
It will also cover it during the holidays this year and in early 2013.

After that, the 5DIII will start dropping in price and in 18-24 months will sell (like hotcakes) for $2500.
When the price drops to that level (and below), it will leave room in the lineup for a new $3000-3500 body with 30+ megapixels.

So, as other posters have said, no room for a  NEW $2000 FF from Canon right now - and in the next four-five years.
Who knows after that.

The 5D2 is being replaced by this camera.  That means that this camera will have everything the 5D2 has plus a few extra features.  I think it'll be a 5D2 + high megapixel count + 7D AF for $2500.

The 5D3 will not drop in price that far.  It'll probably get to $3000 but not below that.

Well would that make sense ? I mean I think the 5DmkII is still selling pretty well, and specially a lot of people (including me) were waiting for the 5DmkIII annoucement to go FF, have been disappointed by the price of it, or not rich enough to afford it, and thus bought a 5DmkII that has been for 4 or 5 years described as the best camera ever, or something like this ... if they do some kind of update of the 5DmkII they'd disappoint most of the people who went straight to the mkII when finding out they couldn't afford the mkIII ! And I don't mention the fact that A LOT of photographers are really really fine with 9 AF points ...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:34:27 AM by sphax »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2012, 04:09:27 AM »

D.Sim

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2012, 05:16:13 AM »
mirrorless: micro 4/3 or nothing.
I'm affraid Canon won't chose this way... but i strongly believe they SHOULD do!

And why is that? I'd be perfectly happy if Canon came out with an APS-C/FF mirrorless

elflord

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2012, 06:16:52 AM »
I'm affraid Canon won't chose this way... but i strongly believe they SHOULD do!

And why is that? I'd be perfectly happy if Canon came out with an APS-C/FF mirrorless

If they did MF, then they'd add to an already mature system, whereas if they do their own, we'll have yet another mirrorless system that has a limited lens selection (like all mirrorless systems besides m43).

Personally, I don't care -- I'm happy with m43 regardless of what Canon does.

D.Sim

« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »

If they did MF, then they'd add to an already mature system, whereas if they do their own, we'll have yet another mirrorless system that has a limited lens selection (like all mirrorless systems besides m43).

Personally, I don't care -- I'm happy with m43 regardless of what Canon does.

Thats sorta my point - why would Canon want to venture into the M4/3 system, rather than sticking with and using what they already have? m4/3 or nothing seems... counterintuitive.

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2012, 07:16:17 AM »
doubt canon will cannibalize its best selling camera ever...the rebel. the next body is the 7d successor. No more full frame bodies on 2012.  8)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2012, 07:33:31 AM »
any point hoping for a rebirth of APS-H in the mirrorless? :P
APS-H Fanboy

sphax

« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »
If I had to wager, a 5D3 minus the AF, frame rate and build quality. $1999 anyone?

The question would be why people should buy that instead of a second-hand 5D2.

I have a feeling that there is something missing from the story.

Because the second hand 5D2 is second hand.

If Canon can sell an entry level full frame camera, at a profit, why shouldn't they?

Sure about that second hand thing, weird to compare these.
And of course if they can sell it, they should, but don't you think it's way easier to just lower the price of the 5DmkII ?? That camera has been a killer for four years now, so I can honestly say that it would still be pretty damn good for some years as an "entry full-frame" !! What I wanna say is that if you need an "entry" full-frame camera and don't wanna go for the expensive mkIII, then it kinda means that you can deal with only 9 AF pts IMO ... Or maybe it's just about marketting and having the new fashion, anyway ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »

nentraC

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2012, 08:02:58 AM »
Why would canon sale a 4 year old body (5DMK2) at a price below 2000€ if they can build a cheaper FF body at the same price tag whit a biger profit. (aluminum isnted of a magnesium aloy, a little bit mor platicky,...) it add's up.

Ok for the time being til the end of the year but i don't see it further. Like some of you said Canon can't sale a 4 year old body to new customers, just to upgrader who know what they want.

Oh or a FF T4i (crazy tought i know but i can dream) i think the 7d replacement will be FF like some of you sugested.

my 2 cents

sphax

« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2012, 08:23:38 AM »
If I had to wager, a 5D3 minus the AF, frame rate and build quality. $1999 anyone?

If Canon can sell an entry level full frame camera, at a profit, why shouldn't they?

And of course if they can sell it, they should, but don't you think it's way easier to just lower the price of the 5DmkII ?? That camera has been a killer for four years now, so I can honestly say that it would still be pretty damn good for some years as an "entry full-frame" !! What I wanna say is that if you need an "entry" full-frame camera and don't wanna go for the expensive mkIII, then it kinda means that you can deal with only 9 AF pts IMO ... Or maybe it's just about marketting and having the new fashion, anyway ...

Because the entire camera is currently 3.5 years old.

Tell me what other electronic device you would buy "new" today that was released 3.5 years ago?

My MacBookPro is 3 years old and works just perfectly although I quite push him (architect stuff ...) so guess how good it would work if I'd buy it new right now ? Although it's "already" three years old. So as I said : it's all about the new fashion, not about what people actually need. If professional photographers used the mkII for "3.5 years" I guess nowadays it's just about perfect for who's not professional. Therefore for who needs an "entry" full-frame ...

Caps18

• Canon 70D
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2012, 08:24:10 AM »
Release an 'entry level' medium format, high resolution camera...  ;)
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

nentraC

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2012, 08:29:38 AM »

In anny business it's just abut the mergins a company makes. Why produce a 3.5 years old DSLR wher the mergins drop whit evry price drop if u can build a new design for less $ and get higher mergins.

+ Canon can get a big WoW efeckt whit a "new entry level FF DSLR"
A company need's top end stuff at the cuting edge of technology so they hawe a WoW efeckt in the publick and the mid rage becomes a boost in sales.

I think the mid range has the perfect ratio of mergins and sales nubers so that Canon makes the most $ at the price range of 1200-2300$

sarsi

« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2012, 08:41:09 AM »
On the contrary, I am hoping that Canon launched a EOS 3D instead of a entry level ff camera.

SK

« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
I hope it's 5D Mark III minus Video. I'm sure there are many folks who want excellent still image quality but not using video function of the camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »

sphax

« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2012, 08:59:36 AM »

Because the entire camera is currently 3.5 years old.

Tell me what other electronic device you would buy "new" today that was released 3.5 years ago?

My MacBookPro is 3 years old and works just perfectly although I quite push him (architect stuff ...) so guess how good it would work if I'd buy it new right now ? Although it's "already" three years old. So as I said : it's all about the new fashion, not about what people actually need. If professional photographers used the mkII for "3.5 years" I guess nowadays it's just about perfect for who's not professional. Therefore for who needs an "entry" full-frame ...

It isn't whether whatever is 3 years old works or how well it works but that it is 3 years old and that would Apple be able to sell it today against the other laptop manufacturers?

The question you should be examining is this:
Can you still buy your MacBook Pro from 3 years ago new from an Apple store today?

... and whether you can or not has nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with competitive performance and functionality. If you're professional and using your Macbook Pro for business then you should be replacing it at least as often as depreciation of it as an asset drops its value to $0.

True about the taxes and investments for a company, but pretty wrong in reality : I shall change it whenever I cannot put the last software I need in it, or whenever it will begin to slow down. So far I can use this one and the latest version of Archicad and Photoshop without any problem. So the money you think I should put in a new computer, I used it to buy a printer that I didn't have yet !
Anyway I guess you're right, I can't buy this model anymore.

dooboo

« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2012, 10:10:07 AM »

[/quote]
Well would that make sense ? I mean I think the 5DmkII is still selling pretty well, and specially a lot of people (including me) were waiting for the 5DmkIII annoucement to go FF, have been disappointed by the price of it, or not rich enough to afford it, and thus bought a 5DmkII that has been for 4 or 5 years described as the best camera ever, or something like this ... if they do some kind of update of the 5DmkII they'd disappoint most of the people who went straight to the mkII when finding out they couldn't afford the mkIII ! And I don't mention the fact that A LOT of photographers are really really fine with 9 AF points ...
[/quote]

Just because something is selling great does not mean the company should stop making a new product.  For example, just because apple sell their iPad2 in millions now didn't stop them from making a new iPad.

I think as one of the poster said, price point of somwhere 2500-2700 is missing.  That would basically put this so called new FF camera right between 7D and 5DMK3 from price point.

I was thinking the same thing maybe FF body with some of the 7D AF (19 points) and lower FPS (maybe around 4.5), Digic V, stick with 3" screen, single CF card slot, etc. and price it at around 2600 +/-100 USD.  I think this will keep a lot of people happy.

Canon might throw a curveball just like when they announced 7D when everyone was expecting the 7D to be the 50D replacement...but bit later announced 60D.  Who knows...maybe move the xD line to the FF and whatever 7D's replacement back into the xxD line.

I am sure Canon is watching how the sales of 5D3 is for next few months.  Just because something is in development does not mean they are going to market it.  If this is lower priced FF, you know it can't be better than  5D3 just 7-8 months later (if fall of 2012 is true).

In the mean time, I better get snap happy and create more work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2012, 10:10:07 AM »