April 19, 2014, 03:21:46 AM

Author Topic: Mirrorless Camera & New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]  (Read 38310 times)

flangad

Re: Mirrorless Camera & New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2012, 02:50:39 AM »
mirrorless: micro 4/3 or nothing.
I'm affraid Canon won't chose this way... but i strongly believe they SHOULD do!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2012, 02:50:39 AM »

randplaty

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2012, 03:02:45 AM »
There is definitely a market for a $2000 full frame camera.

Yes ... and the 5DII covers this market already.
It will also cover it during the holidays this year and in early 2013.

After that, the 5DIII will start dropping in price and in 18-24 months will sell (like hotcakes) for $2500.
When the price drops to that level (and below), it will leave room in the lineup for a new $3000-3500 body with 30+ megapixels.

So, as other posters have said, no room for a  NEW $2000 FF from Canon right now - and in the next four-five years.
Who knows after that.

The 5D2 is being replaced by this camera.  That means that this camera will have everything the 5D2 has plus a few extra features.  I think it'll be a 5D2 + high megapixel count + 7D AF for $2500.

The 5D3 will not drop in price that far.  It'll probably get to $3000 but not below that.

sphax

« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2012, 04:09:27 AM »

After that, the 5DIII will start dropping in price and in 18-24 months will sell (like hotcakes) for $2500.
When the price drops to that level (and below), it will leave room in the lineup for a new $3000-3500 body with 30+ megapixels.

So, as other posters have said, no room for a  NEW $2000 FF from Canon right now - and in the next four-five years.
Who knows after that.

The 5D2 is being replaced by this camera.  That means that this camera will have everything the 5D2 has plus a few extra features.  I think it'll be a 5D2 + high megapixel count + 7D AF for $2500.

The 5D3 will not drop in price that far.  It'll probably get to $3000 but not below that.

Well would that make sense ? I mean I think the 5DmkII is still selling pretty well, and specially a lot of people (including me) were waiting for the 5DmkIII annoucement to go FF, have been disappointed by the price of it, or not rich enough to afford it, and thus bought a 5DmkII that has been for 4 or 5 years described as the best camera ever, or something like this ... if they do some kind of update of the 5DmkII they'd disappoint most of the people who went straight to the mkII when finding out they couldn't afford the mkIII ! And I don't mention the fact that A LOT of photographers are really really fine with 9 AF points ...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:34:27 AM by sphax »

D.Sim

« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2012, 05:16:13 AM »
I'm affraid Canon won't chose this way... but i strongly believe they SHOULD do!

And why is that? I'd be perfectly happy if Canon came out with an APS-C/FF mirrorless

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2012, 06:16:52 AM »

And why is that? I'd be perfectly happy if Canon came out with an APS-C/FF mirrorless

If they did MF, then they'd add to an already mature system, whereas if they do their own, we'll have yet another mirrorless system that has a limited lens selection (like all mirrorless systems besides m43).

Personally, I don't care -- I'm happy with m43 regardless of what Canon does.

D.Sim

« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »

If they did MF, then they'd add to an already mature system, whereas if they do their own, we'll have yet another mirrorless system that has a limited lens selection (like all mirrorless systems besides m43).

Personally, I don't care -- I'm happy with m43 regardless of what Canon does.

Thats sorta my point - why would Canon want to venture into the M4/3 system, rather than sticking with and using what they already have? m4/3 or nothing seems... counterintuitive.

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2012, 07:16:17 AM »
doubt canon will cannibalize its best selling camera ever...the rebel. the next body is the 7d successor. No more full frame bodies on 2012.  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2012, 07:16:17 AM »

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »

Who knows after that.

I think the appeal of buying a 4 year old camera will quickly wane with the wider public given that newer cameras will have more capabilities. The 5D2 may still attract xxD and xxxD upgrades but it won't attract new people to Canon.

Lets imagine it is now October 2012. You've got $2000 to spend on a new camera body. You don't  own any other SLRs or lenses. For a lot of people, a 4 year old 5D2 is not going to be anywhere near the top of that list simply because it is now 4 years old.

I'd put the price range on this camera at $1999 - $2399.

The price will probably have more to do with the new xxD price than that of the 5D2 or 5D3.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2012, 07:32:31 AM »
A darn... I was finally thinking to go for the 5D II (entry level FF ^^) and now and rumor of a new entry level full-frame... darn - couldn't you have waited a month with that rumor ? :P

Don't worry, it won't be announced or available in that period so buy the 5D2 anyway.

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2012, 07:33:31 AM »
any point hoping for a rebirth of APS-H in the mirrorless? :P
APS-H Fanboy

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2012, 07:39:38 AM »
If I had to wager, a 5D3 minus the AF, frame rate and build quality. $1999 anyone?

The question would be why people should buy that instead of a second-hand 5D2.

I have a feeling that there is something missing from the story.

Because the second hand 5D2 is second hand.

If Canon can sell an entry level full frame camera, at a profit, why shouldn't they?

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2012, 07:43:25 AM »
I am a bit of a dinosaur and still shoot film.  I would jump at an entry level full frame digital rather than the 5D mk 2 and the reason is simple.  CF cards are coming to the end of their run.  My local pro photo shop only stocks the very best CF cards and they are priced very steeply as it is an old technology consumers are moving away from.   I am confident the camera would last me years, I am not confident about finding reasonably priced CF cards 4 years from now.

Yes. More and more, CF cards for cameras are the providence of professional photographers who are less concerned about whether they're paying $40 or $140 for a CF card. On top of that will be the shift to the next generation of CF (XQD) that debuts with the D4.

So yes,  aspects like this of the 5D2 date it quite badly.

sphax

« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »
If I had to wager, a 5D3 minus the AF, frame rate and build quality. $1999 anyone?

If Canon can sell an entry level full frame camera, at a profit, why shouldn't they?

Sure about that second hand thing, weird to compare these.
And of course if they can sell it, they should, but don't you think it's way easier to just lower the price of the 5DmkII ?? That camera has been a killer for four years now, so I can honestly say that it would still be pretty damn good for some years as an "entry full-frame" !! What I wanna say is that if you need an "entry" full-frame camera and don't wanna go for the expensive mkIII, then it kinda means that you can deal with only 9 AF pts IMO ... Or maybe it's just about marketting and having the new fashion, anyway ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »

nentraC

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2012, 08:02:58 AM »
Why would canon sale a 4 year old body (5DMK2) at a price below 2000€ if they can build a cheaper FF body at the same price tag whit a biger profit. (aluminum isnted of a magnesium aloy, a little bit mor platicky,...) it add's up.

Ok for the time being til the end of the year but i don't see it further. Like some of you said Canon can't sale a 4 year old body to new customers, just to upgrader who know what they want.

Oh or a FF T4i (crazy tought i know but i can dream) i think the 7d replacement will be FF like some of you sugested.

my 2 cents

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »

Sure about that second hand thing, weird to compare these.
And of course if they can sell it, they should, but don't you think it's way easier to just lower the price of the 5DmkII ?? That camera has been a killer for four years now, so I can honestly say that it would still be pretty damn good for some years as an "entry full-frame" !! What I wanna say is that if you need an "entry" full-frame camera and don't wanna go for the expensive mkIII, then it kinda means that you can deal with only 9 AF pts IMO ... Or maybe it's just about marketting and having the new fashion, anyway ...

Because the entire camera is currently 3.5 years old.

Tell me what other electronic device you would buy "new" today that was released 3.5 years ago?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »