November 28, 2014, 07:39:49 PM

Author Topic: Mirrorless Camera & New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]  (Read 44603 times)

sphax

Re: Mirrorless Camera & New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2012, 08:23:38 AM »
If I had to wager, a 5D3 minus the AF, frame rate and build quality. $1999 anyone?

The question would be why people should buy that instead of a second-hand 5D2.

I have a feeling that there is something missing from the story.

Because the second hand 5D2 is second hand.

If Canon can sell an entry level full frame camera, at a profit, why shouldn't they?

Sure about that second hand thing, weird to compare these.
And of course if they can sell it, they should, but don't you think it's way easier to just lower the price of the 5DmkII ?? That camera has been a killer for four years now, so I can honestly say that it would still be pretty damn good for some years as an "entry full-frame" !! What I wanna say is that if you need an "entry" full-frame camera and don't wanna go for the expensive mkIII, then it kinda means that you can deal with only 9 AF pts IMO ... Or maybe it's just about marketting and having the new fashion, anyway ...

Because the entire camera is currently 3.5 years old.

Tell me what other electronic device you would buy "new" today that was released 3.5 years ago?

My MacBookPro is 3 years old and works just perfectly although I quite push him (architect stuff ...) so guess how good it would work if I'd buy it new right now ? Although it's "already" three years old. So as I said : it's all about the new fashion, not about what people actually need. If professional photographers used the mkII for "3.5 years" I guess nowadays it's just about perfect for who's not professional. Therefore for who needs an "entry" full-frame ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2012, 08:23:38 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
Why would canon sale a 4 year old body (5DMK2) at a price below 2000€ if they can build a cheaper FF body at the same price tag whit a biger profit. (aluminum isnted of a magnesium aloy, a little bit mor platicky,...) it add's up.

Marketing and product differentiation.

There are three camera manufacturers that are currently capable of building and selling a full frame digital camera: Canon, Nikon and Sony.

Under $2000/2000 euro, everything is crop, so your buying decision is "which crop camera will I buy?"

The first company to break under that with a full frame digital offering introduces something that substantially changes the buyers decision making: "Do I buy a crop camera for $1499 or a crop camera for $1599 or a full frame for $1999?" (or something like that.)

It doesn't matter that the full frame camera is only $400 more. What's important is that it is under the $2000 line (that's a psychological thing) and that it is different in a better way because with digital cameras, bigger sensors create better images. So it is easier to entice new people to your product because it is not a whole lot more but offers something different and better.

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2012, 08:24:10 AM »
Release an 'entry level' medium format, high resolution camera...  ;)
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

nentraC

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2012, 08:29:38 AM »
If I had to wager, a 5D3 minus the AF, frame rate and build quality. $1999 anyone?

If Canon can sell an entry level full frame camera, at a profit, why shouldn't they?

And of course if they can sell it, they should, but don't you think it's way easier to just lower the price of the 5DmkII ?? That camera has been a killer for four years now, so I can honestly say that it would still be pretty damn good for some years as an "entry full-frame" !! What I wanna say is that if you need an "entry" full-frame camera and don't wanna go for the expensive mkIII, then it kinda means that you can deal with only 9 AF pts IMO ... Or maybe it's just about marketting and having the new fashion, anyway ...

In anny business it's just abut the mergins a company makes. Why produce a 3.5 years old DSLR wher the mergins drop whit evry price drop if u can build a new design for less $ and get higher mergins.

+ Canon can get a big WoW efeckt whit a "new entry level FF DSLR"
A company need's top end stuff at the cuting edge of technology so they hawe a WoW efeckt in the publick and the mid rage becomes a boost in sales.

I think the mid range has the perfect ratio of mergins and sales nubers so that Canon makes the most $ at the price range of 1200-2300$

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »

Tell me what other electronic device you would buy "new" today that was released 3.5 years ago?

My MacBookPro is 3 years old and works just perfectly although I quite push him (architect stuff ...) so guess how good it would work if I'd buy it new right now ? Although it's "already" three years old. So as I said : it's all about the new fashion, not about what people actually need. If professional photographers used the mkII for "3.5 years" I guess nowadays it's just about perfect for who's not professional. Therefore for who needs an "entry" full-frame ...

It isn't whether whatever is 3 years old works or how well it works but that it is 3 years old and that would Apple be able to sell it today against the other laptop manufacturers?

The question you should be examining is this:
Can you still buy your MacBook Pro from 3 years ago new from an Apple store today?

... and whether you can or not has nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with competitive performance and functionality. If you're professional and using your Macbook Pro for business then you should be replacing it at least as often as depreciation of it as an asset drops its value to $0.

sarsi

« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2012, 08:41:09 AM »
On the contrary, I am hoping that Canon launched a EOS 3D instead of a entry level ff camera.

SK

« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
I hope it's 5D Mark III minus Video. I'm sure there are many folks who want excellent still image quality but not using video function of the camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »

sphax

« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2012, 08:59:36 AM »

It isn't whether whatever is 3 years old works or how well it works but that it is 3 years old and that would Apple be able to sell it today against the other laptop manufacturers?

The question you should be examining is this:
Can you still buy your MacBook Pro from 3 years ago new from an Apple store today?

... and whether you can or not has nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with competitive performance and functionality. If you're professional and using your Macbook Pro for business then you should be replacing it at least as often as depreciation of it as an asset drops its value to $0.

True about the taxes and investments for a company, but pretty wrong in reality : I shall change it whenever I cannot put the last software I need in it, or whenever it will begin to slow down. So far I can use this one and the latest version of Archicad and Photoshop without any problem. So the money you think I should put in a new computer, I used it to buy a printer that I didn't have yet !
Anyway I guess you're right, I can't buy this model anymore.

dooboo

« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2012, 10:10:07 AM »

[/quote]
Well would that make sense ? I mean I think the 5DmkII is still selling pretty well, and specially a lot of people (including me) were waiting for the 5DmkIII annoucement to go FF, have been disappointed by the price of it, or not rich enough to afford it, and thus bought a 5DmkII that has been for 4 or 5 years described as the best camera ever, or something like this ... if they do some kind of update of the 5DmkII they'd disappoint most of the people who went straight to the mkII when finding out they couldn't afford the mkIII ! And I don't mention the fact that A LOT of photographers are really really fine with 9 AF points ...
[/quote]

Just because something is selling great does not mean the company should stop making a new product.  For example, just because apple sell their iPad2 in millions now didn't stop them from making a new iPad.

I think as one of the poster said, price point of somwhere 2500-2700 is missing.  That would basically put this so called new FF camera right between 7D and 5DMK3 from price point.

I was thinking the same thing maybe FF body with some of the 7D AF (19 points) and lower FPS (maybe around 4.5), Digic V, stick with 3" screen, single CF card slot, etc. and price it at around 2600 +/-100 USD.  I think this will keep a lot of people happy.

Canon might throw a curveball just like when they announced 7D when everyone was expecting the 7D to be the 50D replacement...but bit later announced 60D.  Who knows...maybe move the xD line to the FF and whatever 7D's replacement back into the xxD line.

I am sure Canon is watching how the sales of 5D3 is for next few months.  Just because something is in development does not mean they are going to market it.  If this is lower priced FF, you know it can't be better than  5D3 just 7-8 months later (if fall of 2012 is true).

In the mean time, I better get snap happy and create more work.

Neeneko

« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2012, 10:19:28 AM »

This gets into the split between consumer markets and professional or industrial markets.

For instance, I used to work for a company that made a type of game system.  Our customers generally had a 3 year software upgrade cycle, and maybe a 5-8 year hardware upgrade.  In general we produced new hardware models every 2-3 years but kept producing ones for much longer because customers wanted them.

Though if you want to talk consumer equipment, look at video game consoles.   The Wii and PS3 are 6 years old, you can still buy them.  The XBox360 is 7 years old, you can still buy them.  The PS2 is 12 years old and you can buy them new.

Computers tend to be a bad example because the whole supply chain moves, it becomes more expensive to produce older models then newer ones, so there is no economic benefit to continuing to manufacturer something using older parts, which is why you tend to see these incremental 'oh, that chip is now more expensive, well, swap it out for the newer one and that is our release this year' ones.

You tend to get this 3 year cycle time when you are dealing with either supply chain issues, or consumer upgrade fashions.  Once you get away form those two areas you start to see things that stay in manufacturing a lot longer because industrial and professional work tends to be much more stable... not to mention more grounded in 'does this spec meet need X?' as opposed to 'oh boy, more Y!', thus buyers are less willing to pay for upgrades that do not actually benefit them in some 'demonstrable to accounting' way.

APBPhoto

« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »
It hasn't even been 30 days since latest camera hit the streets, letting info about another FF camera leak out will help stop people considering switching brands but it also has to slow down sales of new product. Why wait 90 days to let the some of kinks get flushed out before starting the whole cycle of high hopes for the everything camera?

Neeneko

« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2012, 10:43:33 AM »
It hasn't even been 30 days since latest camera hit the streets, letting info about another FF camera leak out will help stop people considering switching brands but it also has to slow down sales of new product. Why wait 90 days to let the some of kinks get flushed out before starting the whole cycle of high hopes for the everything camera?

This is why I am always a bit surprised at how camera manufacturers stagger their releases the way they do.  Having multiple overlapping models with erratic release schedules is just begging for the osborne effect and is kinda why so many other industries usually update their entire line at once.

darryl

« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »
Personally I just don't see where a new FF camera fits into canons lineup.  People are talking about having it be like a 5Dm2 but with digic 5 and better AF.... No offense but thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  Everyone and there mom said I love my 5Dm2 but the AF needs work, make a better AF and I'm buying it.  Hmmm I wonder if there is a camera that is like the 5Dm2 but has better AF.....Come on people.  You would seriously cannibalize the 5Dm3 market.  And lets face it.  Yes there are some people who just can't make that financial reach to the 5Dm3 but there are just as many people who really would like a $2,000 FF camera but don't want a 4 year old camera and dish out the extra dough for the 5Dm3.

I think people like to guess what the newest camera will be based on what they want personally and not on what would work well in the market.  To all the people who say that a new $2,000 slr FF would make a killing.  Your right it would.  It would kill the 5Dm3.  Unless you can tell me a way to offer a new $2,000 slr FF that differs enough in specs from the 5Dm3 that would justify a $1,500 difference between the cameras I'm calling shinanigans.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »

maxxevv

« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »
To all the people who say that a new $2,000 slr FF would make a killing.  Your right it would.  It would kill the 5Dm3.  Unless you can tell me a way to offer a new $2,000 slr FF that differs enough in specs from the 5Dm3 that would justify a $1,500 difference between the cameras I'm calling shinanigans.

Just fit the FF sensor into a suitably sized body and carry all the features, build quality of the upcoming new Rebel. Keep the framerate at <=3fps.  And video functions of 1 generation ago.

US$1500~$1999 is something which the market will most probably jump on en-masse like they did with the original Rebel all those years ago at US$999/- . 

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
these guys trying very hard to make us forget how bad is 5Dmk3. So this NEW rumor...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »