December 21, 2014, 10:23:03 AM

Author Topic: Mirrorless Camera & New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]  (Read 45093 times)

Terry Rogers

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Mirrorless Camera & New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »

Well, certainly it doesn't matter what any model is called. My (over)reaction is to the minority of commenters who seem to feel that the bigger the sensor they have the more of a photographer they are.

[/quote]

I'm not sure who the commenters you are reffering to are that implied a larger sensor makes them a better photographer. However, a larger sensor does offer several advantages that gives photographers more tools to work with. Namely, more bokeh with similar framing with the same apeture compared to a crop camera. Generally better high iso noise performance. Larger pixel size, minimizing lens imperfections and motion blur compared to a high pixel density crop camera. Do these make someone a better photographer, of course not. Do they allow more creative freedom under difficult shooting conditions? Definitely.
Rebel T3i,  EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, 430 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »

studio1972

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Sarah McDonnell Wedding Photography
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »
The Cine-DSLR will obviously be full-frame.

Surely it will not be full frame. The C300 isn't, after all.
Cheshire & Wirral Wedding Photographer

http://sarahmcdonnell.co.uk

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
I do not believe we will see an entry level FF. 5DmkII is doing fine! 
There is no point replacing it with something different mainly in ... the name!
A high megapixel camera would be perfect for studio and landscapes and prevent people from switching to Nikon.
Also it is about time for a new high end APS-C camera (7DmkII ?)

lecoupdejarnac

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »
It does sound very strange with the 5DII still selling.

Unless the "entry level" full frame is also a mirrorless camera.  That would be really interesting.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2012, 08:07:28 PM »

Unless the "entry level" full frame is also a mirrorless camera.  That would be really interesting.

that would really be a curveball.  I wouldn't expect it, though. You'd have tp think about what lenses you would use espcially regarding flange distance etc

stabmasterasron

« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »
I think that if Canon brings an entry level FF body to the line up, it will be significantly crappier than even the 5DmkII.  Since the 5DmkIII is obviously the successor to the 5DmkII, then an "entry level" body should logically be placed at a bar below the 5D line in performance and build quality.  I wouldn't get my hopes up that this new entry level FF camera will be all that impressive.  I'd expect disappointments in ISO performance, resolution, image quality, continuous shooting, and AF system at the minimum compared to the 5DmkIII. I also wouldn't be surprised if it is even set a bar below the 5DmkII in terms of ISO performance, resolution, and image quality.  It also would make sense for Canon to price the camera lower than $2000. Maybe this will fill the 7D price point and the 60D successor will inherit the 7D's strengths and come in at a price point just under the new entry level FF camera?

How could it be crappier than the 5dmkii?  This new entry level ff will either have the sensor of the 5dmkii (unlikely) or from the 5dmkiii or 1dx(also unlikely, i think), or it will have a completely new sensor.  So if it has one of the other, current sensors and digic 5, it will be at least equal in iq to those corresponding cameras.  If canon makes a new sensor, why would they make a sensor crappier than the 4 year old sensor from the 5dmkii?  I don't see how any new ff camera, entry level or not would take a step backwards from the 5dmkii. 

Musouka

« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:13 AM »
All the talk about an entry-level FF camera without video had me thinking.

Sony was first out of the gate with a $2000 FF camera back in August 2009 in the form of the A850. Wonder why it hasn't taken the market by storm... It also was the last FF camera from Sony to date.

A quick eBay search returned 2 results only; priced at $1600 (BO) & $1725 (Package).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:13 AM »

nentraC

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2012, 03:59:00 AM »

your comment got me thinking it could be the:

"Mirrorless Camera & New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]"

should be

Mirrorless Camera "a" New Full Frame Coming Second Half 2012? [CR2]

whit a great video all time AF couse thers no miror in the way.

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2012, 04:05:29 AM »
these guys trying very hard to make us forget how bad is 5Dmk3. So this NEW rumor...

Would you care to explain how the 5D mkIII is a "bad" camera please?

its best for the stills, but not for video,  even after 3years of its big brother..
i have been playing with it since i got one, and very much disappointed, it might be 0.5% improvement in video.
in dslr video segment , it seems nikon started the revolution and it took over it agin with d800. 5d's are all in between.

I don't use it for stills though.

Heidrun

« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2012, 04:25:03 AM »

Well, certainly it doesn't matter what any model is called. My (over)reaction is to the minority of commenters who seem to feel that the bigger the sensor they have the more of a photographer they are.

I'm not sure who the commenters you are reffering to are that implied a larger sensor makes them a better photographer. However, a larger sensor does offer several advantages that gives photographers more tools to work with. Namely, more bokeh with similar framing with the same apeture compared to a crop camera. Generally better high iso noise performance. Larger pixel size, minimizing lens imperfections and motion blur compared to a high pixel density crop camera. Do these make someone a better photographer, of course not. Do they allow more creative freedom under difficult shooting conditions? Definitely.
[/quote]

The bigger the sensor is. The more wide angel i can get

nentraC

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2012, 04:34:46 AM »
these guys trying very hard to make us forget how bad is 5Dmk3. So this NEW rumor...

Would you care to explain how the 5D mkIII is a "bad" camera please?

its best for the stills, but not for video,  even after 3years of its big brother..
i have been playing with it since i got one, and very much disappointed, it might be 0.5% improvement in video.
in dslr video segment , it seems nikon started the revolution and it took over it agin with d800. 5d's are all in between.

I don't use it for stills though.

I just dont know when Nikon started the revolution in DSLR video, couse i tought Nikon released the D700 and it vas a great DSLR but a month or two later Canon released the 5d2 and had a great video funktion and it destrojed the D700 in sales just because of the video and its quality (ok not just video but the overall package)

So im not realy sure Nikon started the Video revolution inDSLR's
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:38:11 AM by nentraC »

takoman46

« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2012, 04:57:48 AM »
I think that if Canon brings an entry level FF body to the line up, it will be significantly crappier than even the 5DmkII.  Since the 5DmkIII is obviously the successor to the 5DmkII, then an "entry level" body should logically be placed at a bar below the 5D line in performance and build quality.  I wouldn't get my hopes up that this new entry level FF camera will be all that impressive.  I'd expect disappointments in ISO performance, resolution, image quality, continuous shooting, and AF system at the minimum compared to the 5DmkIII. I also wouldn't be surprised if it is even set a bar below the 5DmkII in terms of ISO performance, resolution, and image quality.  It also would make sense for Canon to price the camera lower than $2000. Maybe this will fill the 7D price point and the 60D successor will inherit the 7D's strengths and come in at a price point just under the new entry level FF camera?

How could it be crappier than the 5dmkii?  This new entry level ff will either have the sensor of the 5dmkii (unlikely) or from the 5dmkiii or 1dx(also unlikely, i think), or it will have a completely new sensor.  So if it has one of the other, current sensors and digic 5, it will be at least equal in iq to those corresponding cameras.  If canon makes a new sensor, why would they make a sensor crappier than the 4 year old sensor from the 5dmkii?  I don't see how any new ff camera, entry level or not would take a step backwards from the 5dmkii.

It makes sense for it to be crappier than a 5DmkII if it is an "entry-level" FF camera.  The term "entry-level" means exactly that. The "5D" line is not "entry-level" right? So it would be outlandish to think that the "entry level" FF camera would outperform the 5DmkII. Although the 5DmkII is 4 years old, it is still only 1 generation old so it is impossible for Canon to add another FF camera to the lineup that is deemed "entry level" but yet outperforms a higher end FF body that is likely still widely used by many many photographers.  Let me put it this way... think back on all the technological advances in the overall DSLR lineup. Did a T3i have better image quality than a 40D? No because the T3i is "entry level" and the 40D is 1 generation older but yet one step higher in the lineup of APS-C bodies. In fact even the 20D would beat out a T3i in image quality and that's even further back in tech! So it seems like wishful thinking for an "entry level" FF camera to be equal to or better than a 5DmkII right?

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:03 AM »
It makes sense for it to be crappier than a 5DmkII if it is an "entry-level" FF camera.  The term "entry-level" means exactly that. The "5D" line is not "entry-level" right? So it would be outlandish to think that the "entry level" FF camera would outperform the 5DmkII. Although the 5DmkII is 4 years old, it is still only 1 generation old so it is impossible for Canon to add another FF camera to the lineup that is deemed "entry level" but yet outperforms a higher end FF body that is likely still widely used by many many photographers.

Wrong.

The entry level FF camera only has to be inferior to the 5D3. Thus it could be almost identical to the 5D2. Consider that the current price point ($2199) of the 5D2 is almost exactly where an entry level full frame camera would be. Maybe plus or minus $200.

An entry level FF camera would  be put into the product lineup relative to the 5D3 and the 60D or its successor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:03 AM »

sphax

« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2012, 05:45:42 AM »

The entry level FF camera only has to be inferior to the 5D3. Thus it could be almost identical to the 5D2.

So they're gonna develop a brand new product that has "almost" the same properties of the 5DmkII ??? ... Just for people to buy it a bit more because it won't be a 4 years old design ??? ... That sounds like a huge investment for a small difference in sales !

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2012, 06:26:08 AM »
So they're gonna develop a brand new product that has "almost" the same properties of the 5DmkII ??? ... Just for people to buy it a bit more because it won't be a 4 years old design ??? ... That sounds like a huge investment for a small difference in sales !

Well, I see $3500.00 USD as a pretty steep price point for a hobbyist. I paid ~$2500 USD for my 5DII, and it was a stretch.

If they had something to market at the ~$2000.00 USD price point, and if it was equal to the 5DII for image quality, it will sell.

In comparison to my old EOS 620, which was my last "full frame" camera, I do not see any problems with the 5DII AF system. Those migrating from a current "low end" DSLR will not feel the same way. Canon will have to improve the "entry level full frame" AF system from the 5DII and yet keep it far enough away from the 5DIII.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2012, 06:26:08 AM »