Gear Talk > Lenses

Wide-Angle Prime for Crop Cameras?

(1/4) > >>

Synomis192:
What's a good wide angle prime for a crop sensor camera? I've been using the 50mm f/1.8, but I feel like I have to move really far away from my subject. Is there a better prime lens that gets me a little closer to my subject?

I've tried the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, but my friends copy had a big problem with color fringing wide open.

Can some one recommend a good prime for a crop sensor that cost around $600usd?

RC:
That's a tough one.  I don't consider wide until about 15, 17mm crop (24, 28 FF).  Nothing in the Canon lineup in that price range, not familiar with all the 3rd party brand options.  What are you considering wide?

Synomis192:

--- Quote from: RC on March 25, 2012, 04:36:58 PM ---That's a tough one.  I don't consider wide until about 15, 17mm crop (24, 28 FF).  Nothing in the Canon lineup in that price range, not familiar with all the 3rd party brand options.  What are you considering wide?

--- End quote ---

For primes, I was told that the 24mm f/2.8 is considered a wide prime. But I did some test shots with it, and i found it to be really soft. That's the widest prime I've been able to find.

RC:

--- Quote from: Synomis192 on March 25, 2012, 04:52:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: RC on March 25, 2012, 04:36:58 PM ---That's a tough one.  I don't consider wide until about 15, 17mm crop (24, 28 FF).  Nothing in the Canon lineup in that price range, not familiar with all the 3rd party brand options.  What are you considering wide?

--- End quote ---

For primes, I was told that the 24mm f/2.8 is considered a wide prime. But I did some test shots with it, and i found it to be really soft. That's the widest prime I've been able to find.

--- End quote ---

if 24 is wide enought for you on a crop, check out the brand new 24 2.8 with IS.  Not sure if it is available yet and it might be a little above your price range

Whoever told you 24 is wide must have been referring to FF. 

colin1984:
Alternate to a canon lens will be the Sigma 20 1,8 EX DG ASP Macro for Canon that´s in Full Frame about 30mm.

i think the price is moderate,

I attach a link from a Lensreview.

Hope we can help you

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/45-canon-eos-aps-c/297-sigma-af-20mm-f18-ex-test-report--review

also send you a link where you can find an overview of wide primes but it´s in german altough I think it doesn´t matter because it´s only an overview

http://geizhals.at/?cat=acamobjo_can&xf=228_18~250_Weitwinkel~816_Festbrennweitenobjektiv#xf_top

with friendly regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version