November 27, 2014, 03:59:20 PM

Author Topic: 5D mk3 - A few complaints  (Read 12923 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D mk3 - A few complaints
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 11:36:48 PM »
wombat:

1) Are the raw files just soft, or terrible in other respects?

2) Is it the smearing of the details that makes the jpegs so bad?

I hope this is just an issue with the DPP software.

1) Raw files in DPP preview look sharpand show lots of detail, when i preview in bridge with ACR6.7 installed they are noticably softer and editing in DPP much softer, opening in PS also softer than the DPP preview. Colour all looks really good, The detail has to be in the file, as it displays in the DPP preview so i'm not too concerned about the senor being a lemon. I feel its almost entirely related to the processing software not being right rather than a sensor thing.

2) the jpegs look awefull IMO, like heavy handed NR is being applied to iso100 files. sure NR the hell out of 25600 iso images in camera but there should be 0 NR applied to iso 100 jpgs. If i took a 5D2 raw file at iso 100 in topaz denoise and applied an overall noise reduction value of maybe 60 this would be similar to the jpegs out of camera, my typical use of denoise values are around 20-30 if i'm correcting 1600 iso to 3200 iso, i may sometimes pop a value of 5 on a portrait as it does a nice job cleaning up skin in a very subtle way that is not noticable as being post processed. (these are observations based on the standard settings the camera comes with, I dont work with jpegs at all other than to flick to people for a quick preview and usually i will downsize those to 1024x768 anyway if i'm going to email them. On my 5Dmk2 i record medium jpegs which are 10MP for this purpose on my 1Dmk3 i leave the jpegs full size which is also 10 or 11 MP.

Overall I'm very glad I didnt sell my 5D2s just in case, I really hope these issues get resolved soon as I'm going to china soon and really wanted to put this thing through its paces. At least i know i can rely on the 5Dmk2s anyway. I wont be shooting any paid work with the 5Dmk3 untill i'm 100% happy it can meet the 5Dmk2 standard though.
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 11:36:48 PM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 11:40:11 PM »
This really surprises me. I just read in another post that you are using f/1.4 lenses. Thats an extremely thin DOF your working with there. Unless something has changed, don't Canon cameras AF at maximum aperture? I would be very surprised if you had GOOD luck with even the 1D X AF with its 100k RGB intelligent meter and an f/1.4 lens. You should slap on an f/2.8 lens, an f/4 lens, and an f/5.6 lens, and let us know how AF works then. I would hope the double-cross type sensors with the f/2.8 should nail focus perfectly every time. I'd expect the other 36 cross-type points to do extremely well keeping focus on a moving subject like a bird, a cyclist, a car or a basket ball player at f/4 and f/5.6.
I was using fast lenses but had them stopped down to f2.8 for shooting. typically when using AI servo I dont like to go wider than 2.8 for this reason
APS-H Fanboy

jrsforums

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »
So i've been snapping away wildly all weekend with the 5Dmk3 and there are a couple of things that bug me
overall the build and handling are significant steps up but there is some silly stuff going on.

1 - The rate button, probably the single most useless button I have even seen on a camera EVER, which would be fine if you could assign it a usefull function instead such as a bracketing button like ever 1D has had since the 1Dmk1 remember that good ol 4MP kodak sensor?
If you want/need to do field rating the button is great.  Lightroom and ACR will pick up an use the star ratings you set.
its nice to just hold a button down and scrollt he wheel bringing up the bracketed stops. having to go into the menu to enable bracketing on a PRO body is just plain lame. This could easily be fixed with a firmware update to enable assigning of more functions to that button
as for rate and protect the whole 2 features you can choose this button to perform, very underwhelming. As it is this button is a total bull tit.
Bracketing can be quickly set through the quick menu or setting C1,C2, or C3.

2 - out of camera Jpeg files are horrible, accross the board there is far too much smearing going on they are well and truely overcooked, mushy and about as sharp as a bowling ball. I like to have medium jpg files writing to the SD card so i can just pop it out to give someone quick access to the pics without jumping through all the raw processing hoops. As it stands I'm really not going to give anyone these jpegs so i've turned it off all together until an update comes out.
This is particularly concerning because all the talk from the marketing machine talked up how all the improvements of blah blah stops is based on jpegs. If this follows through to the 1Dx there are going to be alot of unhappy people with $6500 less in their pocket.

3. RAW processing, I'm a bit amazed that none of this was sorted out prior to release, neither DPP or adobe are producing satisfactory results. The only way i can even see the detail i'm chasing is in DPP preview.
. I never do jpeg.  Raw results using DNG 6.7RC to LR 4 are giving great results. 

4. AF isnt as good as i was expecting in AI servo but I'm still playing with it (there are lots of settings to play with and test) so i'll have to reserve judgement on this but as for just turning it on and shooting with AI servo in standard mode the 1Dmk3 still eats it alive both in speed and accuracy :(
Perhaps I am doing something wrong maybe 7D users have some tips on getting the most from these new AF systems in AI servo.

Suggest you go to the Canon Learning Center....a number of wrieups by Rudy on 1DX and 5D3 AF....should help you get as good with new system as you seem to be with the 1Dmk3

John

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 11:53:54 PM »
I never do jpeg.  Raw results using DNG 6.7RC to LR 4 are giving great results. 

are you able to post a sample?
do you have a 5D2?
if so is ACR6.7 giving you results as sharp as the 5Dmk2 does?
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 02:56:01 AM »
[Suggest you go to the Canon Learning Center....a number of wrieups by Rudy on 1DX and 5D3 AF....should help you get as good with new system as you seem to be with the 1Dmk3

John

thanks for the tip I read the article, sounds perhaps that my standard method of using single point AF might be the problem and focus is getting lost as the model walks towards me with AF points not handing over to other points properly, from his description this area AF might be a good solution, i'll give it a try. It seems the new AF system is vastly more complex than the system i replaces and there is a bit of a learning curve with it.
APS-H Fanboy

akiskev

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 04:02:39 AM »
Where is the negative karma button when you need it?!?!?!!??!
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

GND

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 04:11:17 AM »
1 - The rate button, probably the single most useless button I have even seen on a camera EVER,

Good point, but: The way I see it people are taking way too many pictures of the same thing rather than concentrating on one good shot. Afterwards you waste your time selecting which is better. That may well happen in-camera with a rating system when the event is recent. It saves time. Canon could hide rating in a menu but then it would be cumbersome.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:15:58 AM by GND »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 04:11:17 AM »

naterz

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 04:22:21 AM »
I know the rating button is honestly useless to many.  But I'm actually excited about it.  I do same day slideshows at weddings, and throughout the day as I see an image I like, I can very easily rate it without even really thinking about it.  Then by the time the reception hits, I can pop in my card, and just use the rated images, and I instantly have 20-30 favorite images from the day.  No more quickly culling through the images to find the best shots. 

On the AF note though...I also have been a little dissapointed.  I am switching from Nikon so right now only have the 50 1.4 and I'm glad to hear that others haven't liked that lens.  I'm hoping the images turn out to be sharper with the 1.2.  We'll see.  Sometimes it'll nail it, most times it wont.   And I'm shooting at 2.0-2.8.  On Nikon I could easily shoot at 2.0 and have things TACK SHARP!  Hoping I can do the same on Canon. 

GND

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 05:50:18 AM »
I can pop in my card, and just use the rated images, and I instantly have 20-30 favorite images from the day.  No more quickly culling through the images to find the best shots.

Yeap, that's it. This camera is targeted to many groups, pro/enthusiast, many times one group doesn't realize the use others might have. On the 50/1.4 the lens is due for an upgade, it's around since 1993 (carried over from the FD line). f/1.4-2.8 range improvement mostly. Could be due for 2012.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 05:58:34 AM »
perhaps i am splitting hairs or maybe in this case eyelashes

first image is dpp preview crop screen shot
second image is acr6.7 crop screen shot

shot at f2.8 1/500 sec ISO 100 AWB
these are 100% crops
obviously 5D mk3 and lens is the 50mm f1.4 canon
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:26:58 AM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

jrsforums

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 06:27:21 AM »
I never do jpeg.  Raw results using DNG 6.7RC to LR 4 are giving great results. 

are you able to post a sample?
do you have a 5D2?
if so is ACR6.7 giving you results as sharp as the 5Dmk2 does?

I have a 5d2, but ave not spent time doing comparisons.  Mainly exploring and marveling at the 5d3.  When the dot release of LR 4 drops....which I expect/hope will be shortly....I will do some...maybe....

Point is, I do enough "like" test shots that I am pretty sure that the 5d3 excels....without doing a rigorous analysis.  Tonight I am going to do some low light shots in the same venue I did with the 5d2 last week....should be telling....bu on a subjective basis, not a controlled test environment.

John

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 06:47:48 AM »

these are 100% crops
Wickid, what's going on there? From my screen both are soft, colors from DPP are more natural ( I mean if makeup can be natura), but the softness of the details is surprising. DPP preview is sharper. Can you get another copy of the 5D3 you purchased? Was it from leederville in Perth? They should exchange it and get yours checked.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:51:01 AM by te4o »
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 08:49:33 AM »
The 50mm f/1.4 does not use the real USM motor that canon uses on most lenses so it really does not work well in servo mode. It's a bit slow. I would not use servo with that lens. Try the 85mm f/1.8 or 85mm f/1.2 that has a better focusing motor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 08:49:33 AM »

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:04 AM »

these are 100% crops

ACR 6.7 is still in beta and hopefully the optimized version will be available soon.

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »
The earring makes clear at least one problem your software is having is related to the new chromatic aberration correction system.

I think they had to rush out the camera with unbaked software due to the D800 shipping. I have no worries they will get the software right in a few months latest. They have ambitious plans which will require careful implementations, and it's too bad Nikon forced their hand. But I am happy to have the camera now regardless even though you're right it will not be easy to use yet.

I also think the rest of your complaints are mostly due to settings you haven't made properly yet in camera. This camera is deep and requires study.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »